In the Olympics, Britain currently stand 3rd, only behind China and America, in the medals table which is totally unlike the British, who usually fall behind countries like Australia and the Germans amongst others but now we've stormed ahead. What do you think of this and how do you think we managed to do it?
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
I noticed you guys were pretty high this year, congrats on that. Only if the Chinese would stop cheating.
Quote by Birdy266
Otherkid your a genius

Silence is Golden But Duck Tape Is Silver

cream fanclub member 2

The Rabbi of Zeppelinism

Member #2 of the Red Sox Fanclub. PM Gibson06 to join.

No idea. But I think it's an amazing feat considering the minuteness of Great Britain.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████

You'll Never Walk Alone
Quote by otherkid
I noticed you guys were pretty high this year, congrats on that. Only if the Chinese would stop cheating.

Americans = sore losers

well i would suppose the greater investment in sport has helped,

but i mean we pretty much win most sports which involve sitting down

(i don't know how we won all the cycling though, we only have one indoor cycling arena in the country!)
It's been said a few times that it has a lot to do with sport finally having better money backing from the national lottery.
That's one of the reasons anyway.
Last edited by ChrisN at Aug 21, 2008,
It really is good
Considering the size of the UK
compared to the USA or Australia
The UK have achieved more than any of the other countries, just by producing so many amazing athletes from such a small place
GO TEAM GB.
stupid china and their cheating
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
Quote by cam_sampbell
In the Olympics, Britain currently stand 3rd, only behind China and America, in the medals table which is totally unlike the British, who usually fall behind countries like Australia and the Germans amongst others but now we've stormed ahead. What do you think of this and how do you think we managed to do it?

I think it's probably because we did not overrate ourselves and realised the amount of work that actually needs to be put in. Unlike the England football team, who think they will win matches just because they are England. That's why they turn out rubbish results, to the extent of not qualifying for Euro 2008, which is apalling. I would also think that more backing and funding in an attempt to produce top atheletes for 2012 has also greatly helped those who are talented, to push themselves further.
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
This'll probably be closed because of the Olympic thread.

The funny thing is, the Americans use a different table which places Britain in 4th or 5th and has the Americans at the top of the table, unlike the official table used which has America 2nd and China on top.
Quote by tyronelab

The funny thing is, the Americans use a different table which places Britain in 4th or 5th and has the Americans at the top of the table, unlike the official table used which has America 2nd and China on top.

It depends where you look, but using Google and ESPN, you can pick how you sort. The Americans currently have the most total medals, while China holds the most Gold. Which is why the true 'winner' can be iffy and change.
Quote by Birdy266
Otherkid your a genius

cream fanclub member 2

The Rabbi of Zeppelinism

Quote by tyronelab

Americans have a different table because they do it by Total Medal Count. While other countries rank it by Total Gold Count.
I see no sign of fortress.
Quote by saphrax
Brits out number Aussies about 3 - 1...

True.

I think it's cool.

But, considering that the majority have come from the same sort of sports it's not that special.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Phorgot
Americans have a different table because they do it by Total Medal Count. While EVERY other country ranks it by Total Gold Count.

Fixed, p.s don't flame me, its true.
My Setup:

Tokai LP Copy (Korean)
Peavey Classic 30
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
EHX USA Big Muff Pi
Aria 12-String Acoustic Guitar
Last edited by Tokai ALS-48 at Aug 21, 2008,
Quote by otherkid
It depends where you look, but using Google and ESPN, you can pick how you sort. The Americans currently have the most total medals, while China holds the most Gold. Which is why the true 'winner' can be iffy and change.

everyone but the US uses the amount of Golds, and then if its the same you count number of silvers and bronze

America just likes to think it's winning
I think America are "winning" and I'm not American. Just depends on your view. I think overall they've been better as they've got more medals, so they're "winning".
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by saphrax
Brits out number Aussies about 3 - 1...

well ok w/e
Compared to the USA or CHINA then
better?
my awesome geographical knowledge on show again
Quote by CaptainRon
I must say I like the American medal table better.
Puts Canada in 13th...

I think you could make a case for both gold and total tables. The total shows a domance in a lot of sports and could include multiple medals from the same sport, while the gold shows the country taking first place more then any other sport.

I think a point system would work the best
Gold= 3 pts
Silver= 2 pts
Bronze= 1 pt

Its easy math. This way you could still 'win' without getting the most golds, but it still makes getting the most gold valuable
Quote by Birdy266
Otherkid your a genius

cream fanclub member 2

The Rabbi of Zeppelinism

Out of curiosity how much Athletes did Britain send to the Olympics, cos if someone could find the rate of medals to events entered in, Britain might be even higher, I don't know really.

Oh and I think a 10-5-2 point system would work better because then the gold becomes more significant.
Quote by otherkid
I think you could make a case for both gold and total tables. The total shows a domance in a lot of sports and could include multiple medals from the same sport, while the gold shows the country taking first place more then any other sport.

Gold= 3 pts
Silver= 2 pts
Bronze= 1 pt

Its easy math. This way you could still 'win' without getting the most golds, but it still makes getting the most gold valuable

I concur. This is what I thought, too.
Quote by otherkid

Gold= 3 pts
Silver= 2 pts
Bronze= 1 pt

I agree with your system but no one really cares who "won" the Olympics, they care about the specific athletes accomplishments.