I've been playing guitar for almost a year now, and I still play notes in succession very choppy. They don't have smooth transitions, and it pisses me off because I can play the songs, but they sound like ****. What's wrong here?
Quote by The_Paranoia

I love you.
Yea, choppy as in what? It could mean a few things..

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
I guess I meant legato. I'll record something to show you what I mean.
Quote by The_Paranoia

I love you.
If it's just hammer-on, pull-off and slide you have trouble with, remember... legato is fluidly playing, so... if you see something like 6h7p6h7p6 (trill) or something, do remember you don't have to pick every note... just use one hand or something.
lol i know its not very listenable, but thats the best I can do :-p
Quote by The_Paranoia

I love you.
Practice with a metronome?
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
I've tried, but at the clicks I still get very unsmooth note transitions.
Quote by The_Paranoia

I love you.
Well, if you're playing that lick the same way I would, you're having trouble rolling your ring finger a little bit and that might be throwing you off on the next couple of notes. Little things like that can really throw new guitarists off. SoOoOo...(I know you're going to hate this, you've heard it before) break it down, slow down and practice alternate picking. I mean practice alternate picking everything, even your warm-ups. To work on rolling your finger try something like this:

e---------------------------
B---------------------------
G---------7---5------------
D----7---------------------
A---------------------------
E---------------------------
Quote by orcs4life
lol i know its not very listenable, but thats the best I can do :-p

i didn't mean that lol. it was good i was just trying to make a funny sentence. really the only thing you need is a strong vibrato to hold the notes with sustain or you can play what you normally play with legato instead of picking.

Oh, and also try more gain and neck pickup, mess with eq.(add low and mid, turn down treble)
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
Last edited by Attack at Aug 21, 2008,