Page 1 of 2
Well I’ve got a mate who moved around the start of the summer, I still see him but he’s suddenly become good friends with a group of people from his area. I’ve started to see them quite regularly because I’m still in touch with my mate, but I have a big problem with them…

Over the course of a couple of nights out and various discussions, I’ve realized they’re incredibly racist and homophobic. They seem to make completely unnecessary comments in relation to these two things almost all the time, it’s like they’re obsessed with it. Whenever it happens, I start to feel really awkward. I just want to tell them to shut the **** up, but I know how awkward that would be for my friend.

I can’t take people like that, I really can’t. I was brought up differently and when people act like that, it really aggravates me. Right now, even though ignoring this, they’re kind of decent people who I'd be happy to see, I absolutely hate them and I don’t really want to continue being associated with them at all.

In a normal situation I definitely would have said/done something by now, but I don’t want to make things difficult for my mate. They seem to be around him all the time, so if did do something, the likelihood is I wouldn’t really see him anymore - it’s hard for him to get around my area. So that'd be it. I've got another mate, who has visited him and these "friends" and has noticed the same thing.

What do I do Pit?
^^^ I'm with stupid

Aaaaanyway....
Have you spoken to him on his own?

If you can't actually do that any longer... I'd suggest you just stop hanging with them, they sound horrid.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by Tedward
respect their opinion douchebag

No-one's opinion deserves respect.

Tomaz, your "friends" are douchebags. Stop hanging with them.
Quote by Tomaz24
Well I’ve got a mate who moved around the start of the summer, I still see him but he’s suddenly become good friends with a group of people from his area. I’ve started to see them quite regularly because I’m still in touch with my mate, but I have a big problem with them…

Over the course of a couple of nights out and various discussions, I’ve realized they’re incredibly racist and homophobic. They seem to make completely unnecessary comments in relation to these two things almost all the time, it’s like they’re obsessed with it. Whenever it happens, I start to feel really awkward. I just want to tell them to shut the **** up, but I know how awkward that would be for my friend.

I can’t take people like that, I really can’t. I was brought up differently and when people act like that, it really aggravates me. Right now, even though ignoring this, they’re kind of decent people who I'd be happy to see, I absolutely hate them and I don’t really want to continue being associated with them at all.

In a normal situation I definitely would have said/done something by now, but I don’t want to make things difficult for my mate. They seem to be around him all the time, so if did do something, the likelihood is I wouldn’t really see him anymore - it’s hard for him to get around my area. So that'd be it. I've got another mate, who has visited him and these "friends" and has noticed the same thing.

What do I do Pit?

so?

deal with it or leave, really
Quote by BlackandSilver
Kill 'em All in St Anger with the help of the Master of Puppets. He can Ride the Lightning, creating a Death Magnetic.

Myspace
tell them gay niggas to stfu.
Quote by Ed Hunter
The only time I'd want to touch a 500 degrees frying pan is to set my hand on fire and punch someone in the face.

Quote by Captain Insano
Soulja boy! They stole his gold.
Robbed his Jacket now he's cold!

YOU! Steal from Soulja boy.

*sings over crank that*
Just say something about it or stop hanging out with them, really your only options.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
stick it in their pooper?
1996 Fender American Telecaster
Schecter Omen 6
VOX AC-15
Alvarez PF2005
1985 PROCO RAT II
BOSS DS-1, DD3, SD-1, TU-3, NS-2
Danelectro Overdrive
Jimi Hendrix Wah
EHX LPB-1
MXR Supercomp
pretend youre a white black supremacist and go malcolm x on their asses.

really though, just disagree with them, dont be afraid of the awkwardness. if youre friend is a good guy, he probly hates the way they talk too. and if they dont like that, screw em. they sound like a rotten bunch of kids anyways
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
Quote by Tedward
respect their opinion douchebag

You don't have to respect it.

Put it this way- they're allowed to believe that gay people and people of other races are not superior, and you have the opinion to think they're dumbasses.
talk to your friend about it. if he doesnt want to do anything about it then stop hanging out with those guys, maybe find some new friends you seem like a cool guy.
Quote by Aramis
Tomaz, your "friends" are douchebags. Stop hanging with them.

/thread
Death to Ovation haters!
Don't say anything to them. People who hold firm opinions do not want to be told they are wrong. It won't change their views, it'll just piss them off. If I was in your position I'd stop hanging around with them and make the effort to see your friend without them. There's no reason why you should tolerate their company, but don't give them the satisfaction of letting them know they've got to you.
Last edited by rigiddigits at Aug 21, 2008,
Quote by rigiddigits
Don't say anything to them. People who hold firm opinions do not want to be told they are wrong. If I was in your position I'd stop hanging around with them and make the effort to see your friend without them.

This sounds reasonable.
This reminds me of the time I was in the car with a friend of mine and his mum.

After telling her where I was going to uni, she suddenly looked very concerned and asked if I was going to be living in a certain area. I asked " Why, is it rough?" and she said "Well..." and sort of thought about what she was going to say for a minute and then said, "There are a lot of 'Ethnics' there".

I've never wanted to get away from a conversation so fast in my life.
Last edited by rizo299 at Aug 21, 2008,
Maybe we should create a big seperate country where we put all the intolerant people until they get sick of each other and kill each other off and then we can make strawberry flavoring out of their ashes
Quote by CoreysMonster
Maybe we should create a big seperate country where we put all the intolerant people until they get sick of each other and kill each other off and then we can make strawberry flavoring out of their ashes

That sounds a bit intolerant.
i agree with you, TS
i can't stand it when people refer to things they don't like as "gay"
"uhh, my life is in shambles, this is gay"...
or the "this is retarded"
i don't know if its things like this, or if they make blatant comments against homosexuals, but it is god damn annoying
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
Quote by CoreysMonster

that sounds a little intolerant

we'd have to stick you there too
Quote by BlackandSilver
Kill 'em All in St Anger with the help of the Master of Puppets. He can Ride the Lightning, creating a Death Magnetic.

Myspace
My grandma still uses the N-word. One night I was watching TV, nothing good on and she sat on the couch. I was channel surfing and all of a sudden she blurts out "that's one dark n*gger on TV" (roughly translated) and I'm like excuse me?
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by cheeseman3001
i agree with you, TS
i can't stand it when people refer to things they don't like as "gay"
"uhh, my life is in shambles, this is gay"...
or the "this is retarded"
i don't know if its things like this, or if they make blatant comments against homosexuals, but it is god damn annoying

I don't get the big deal with people hating the use of "gay" as an insult, to me it seems to be two totally different uses of the word. Kind of like "gay" used to mean happy. I use it all the time and have no problem whatsoever with homosexuals, in fact my cousin is gay, and still a really cool dude.

EDIT:
Quote by Chips-
My grandma still uses the N-word. One night I was watching TV, nothing good on and she sat on the couch. I was channel surfing and all of a sudden she blurts out "that's one dark n*gger on TV" (roughly translated) and I'm like excuse me?

hey who is that in your avatar? Kensai had him in his for a while, and I've seen it around...

if its you I'm terribly sorry

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Last edited by an epic mistake at Aug 21, 2008,
Quote by Devopast
stick it in their pooper?

GTFO
Quote by Carmel
You are a redeeming feature for the UG Swedish population.

All-riiight.
Quote by an epic mistake

hey who is that in your avatar? Kensai had him in his for a while, and I've seen it around...

if its you I'm terribly sorry

Gandhi.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by Xeus
what that people should be treated badly or made fun of because of their race or their sexual preference? **** off mate

Their not treating people bad, they're expressing their views, even if they're not the kind of opinions that people like....
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by billybusa
GTFO

NOU
1996 Fender American Telecaster
Schecter Omen 6
VOX AC-15
Alvarez PF2005
1985 PROCO RAT II
BOSS DS-1, DD3, SD-1, TU-3, NS-2
Danelectro Overdrive
Jimi Hendrix Wah
EHX LPB-1
MXR Supercomp
If the person is your friend, then definitely respect his opinion. But have an intellectual debate about why he feels the way he does. If you friend can provide good reason to be racist/homophobic, then that's fine. Theres nothing wrong with hating and theres nothing wrong with racism as long as you can provide reason and logic in an intellectual manner as an explanation as to why. As long as he doesn't act upon his hatred with violence or other negative actions then he is free to hate.
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

Quote by Chips-
Gandhi.

really? cool.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
ask you're friend if he likes being with them when they get extremely racist/homophobic, then ask all the people why they are as such. If you can't get a good answer out of both of them, it might be time to talk to your friend about how you feel, or just move on.
Quote by an epic mistake
really? cool.

yeah, he was a Lumberjack before he started wearing Robes.

@ TS, you can't change their oppinions no matter how hard you try, so deal with them, or leave. There isn't much else you can do.
Obviously your "friends" feel that by hanging out with each other constantly they could become their worst fear,a homosexual.therefore they overcompensate their obvious closet homosexuality by making fun of gays and being racist.so just stop hanging out with them and wait 5 years for when you hear that two of those guys are getting married.
Quote by Xeus
what that people should be treated badly or made fun of because of their race or their sexual preference? **** off mate

No, that people are entitled to their opinions (whether they seem ignorant or not) and that they probably won't change said opinions just because you don't like them.

I'm not agreeing with them, but it's their right to have said opinions. As long as they don't hurt anyone else due to said outlook, I don't really see a problem here. Now, if they go around lynching some <race>/gays, then you have a problem.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Just tell them to shut the **** up.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Page 1 of 2