Caveat--I'm not a fan of dean basses. I think their low end basses are not very well built and lack a decent sound.

My advise is to read the FAQ and look at the options there. Set yourself a budget and then get down to your local shop and with that list in hand, try a bunch of basses.
u could get a better bass for ur money, i just bought a spector performer for 240 bucks! u just gotta find that great deal. goto daddys junky music or anouther used music store and look around.
WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS
YOU GET A NEW GOD!!!!
I have a Dean Edge - 1, and I love it with every fiber of my being.
But that bass is pretty low end, there's way better basses out there for the $200

EDIT: THere's also WAY better places then Sam Ash
EDITAGAIN: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-MB-4-Skull-and-Crossbones-Electric-Bass-Guitar-102063096-i1148634.gc

Something like that
I tried it in guitar center actually and it wasn't too shabby.
Last edited by identityxcrysis at Aug 21, 2008,
it seems like a good practice guitar, but if ur wanting something that u can eventually play gigs w/... try an ibanez... u can find one for the same price, with better pickups and a LOT better play
no get the gsr200 by ibanez
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Well, really the reason as to why I'd like to get that package is because it comes with the amp, tuner, bags, and all that stuff so I won't have to go spend money on the other accessories. So is this bass really that bad as some of you say? I never really did online ordering so I don't know if that's an option. ALso can someone please explain to me what these Pickups are :S?
Last edited by SynisterGates! at Aug 21, 2008,
see below.

my sig has watcha want.

that bass has a terrible feel. all Dean basses do, imo.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
deans aren't great, and not great for the money
squires are always easy on the eyes and your money, you get what you pay for a good honnest bass. Yamaha also have a great range of starter basses, my first bass i ever got was an RBX270 which i incidently brought 2nd hand - bargain
Thou must stay away from the Dean, tis evil.

Like previously stated before me, squires are great starters. I've had mine for five years now, and it is still my go to bass.
What exactly are Deans :S? And what do you guys mean when you say The Pickup is bad? Sorry I'm new lol.
The brand of the guitar is Dean. The pickup is the box in the middle of the instrument the puts out magnetic ho-ha that picks up (hence the name) the strings vibrations.
Quote by goest
The brand of the guitar is Dean. The pickup is the box in the middle of the instrument the puts out magnetic ho-ha that picks up (hence the name) the strings vibrations.

Oooh I see. So I'm going to have a lot of problems with this bass then right? And thanks for explaining the two things. If the pickup isn't very good, that means when I would pluck a string, the sound would take some time to get to the amp?
Quote by SynisterGates!
Oooh I see. So I'm going to have a lot of problems with this bass then right? And thanks for explaining the two things. If the pickup isn't very good, that means when I would pluck a string, the sound would take some time to get to the amp?

No, it just means that the sound produced would not be very great. It'll happen, but it won't be pretty.

As for the Dean itself, let it go. Either a Squier or an Ibanez starter pack will get you off in the right direction with gear that is pretty solid, and there's always time to upgrade.
Quote by goest
No, it just means that the sound produced would not be very great. It'll happen, but it won't be pretty.

As for the Dean itself, let it go. Either a Squier or an Ibanez starter pack will get you off in the right direction with gear that is pretty solid, and there's always time to upgrade.

Ooh I see. Okay now I'm confused, because you're recommending me to buy an Ibanez, but the link I put on top, it an Ibanez bass, am I missing something here o.O?
No, the link you put up is for a Dean Playmate bass. Hence all the cries of "NO DEAN!"

edit: However, there is a link to an Ibanez starter kit within that link. Go with that and you'll do fine.
the link at the top is a dean...
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Haha alrighty ! Thanks goest for all your help I truly appreciate your time for this, thanks!

And thanks very much to other people too!
That looks like an alright package man, do it.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by SynisterGates!
Haha alrighty ! Thanks goest for all your help I truly appreciate your time for this, thanks!

And thanks very much to other people too!

Always a pleasure to help a fellow bassit
Quote by Royal Celebi
That's the pack I got and I love my bass. She may not be one of the highest quality, but she sounds and plays great.

You have this =D? That's great! Good to hear a nice review from someone who owns this.