I remember back in highschool some guys would always bring in their equipment and be oblivious to the fact that they were not well setup, or plain roughly kept.

I've seen a Stagg flying V copy with an actual spider's web between the bridge pickup and the body.

I've also seen newly bought guitars with the pickups either too high or too low, but on only one side. My friend at school bought a Squier affinity strat package, and the strat came with the neck pickup flush with the pickguard on one side only. He didn't think this was abnormal. I would pity him, or offer to fix it, but he thought he was a guitar genius, so I left him to it.

Various other things, Floyd Rose guitars with locking nuts falling off etc, or other loose components. FLoyd Rose guitars with the whammy bar making a clattering noise against the body, both the bridge and the actual arm fouling against the body at various points in use etc etc etc..

Tell me your stories!
A mate of mine has got a guitar which he treats so bad. I can almost hear it scream in pain xD
The best cases are when the people get grumpy with you when you ask if you can play it, as if I might do something bad to it!
On the MIMF luthiers forum some guy had a few pictures of an acoustic guitar that somebody had sprayed filler into because he wanted to change the tone or something. Apparently is was an amazing, rare, and incredibly old guitar that made the luthier want to beat the owner and cry at the same time.
i saw a thread in gear customizing where a guy "improved" his strat knock off by taking various household supplies to it such as belt sanders, lighters, white paint, brake fluid cleaner or smt like that...it looked ok in a i made it look like this on purpose kind of way. the burn marks on the pickguard and knobs and such were cool though.
my squier that i used to play. i tried to set the action, intonation, and everything and it was my first time. still playable, but buzzes like crazy and is probably really dusty/dirty now cuz it's sitting on a stand downstairs.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
My school's epiphone bass. It's probably only five or six years old, but due to mistreatment, the input jack's falling out, the fretboard is starting to warp off the neck, and it's terribly scratched and worn.

My school just got a new yamaha bass, so I'm gonna try to buy the epiphone, and give the bass a better home!
Quote by Jonjy2
Most of my friends who play guitar rarely ever change their strings. It's gotten to the point where I can feel the rust on the strings when I play their guitars. The strings feel like the wire from a fence that has been outdoors through a few winters. ><

I dont like that, because it is people's sweat and skin cells making that grey crud!

As for the guy with the vandalised strat ripoff, I think there is a certain level of vandalism you can do to a generic strat ripoff, but not a guitar any better than that.
Probably my schools bass.
I was going to fix it but I'm not in that school anymore, and I really don't care too much.
The finger board was so incredibly dirty, there was WAY too much tension on the strings. It was some ****ty G&L bass
The action was off, the saddles were uneven, the switch (I'm not sure if it was a pickup selector or an active/passive switch or something) was bent, and if you tried to switch positions, it would just twist
And it was just so unpleasant to play.

"Kill me, please"
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
I knew some guy that had a 79 natural gibson SG and he just threw it around and beat the hell out of it for no reason. pissed me off so bad...
Quote by Rengori
It's not like the mods ever get mad at you for going around fucking swear filter.
A friend of mine decided one night, in a drunken haze, to actually saw the lower horn off of his bass. He started sawing away and as he was going through it, the grain of the wood split and went all the way down towards the electronics and screwed everything up. Getting angry, and being drunk, he hi the bridge with a beer bottle to show the bass what he thought of it.

This was his one and only bass he used for gigs.

It took him a year to finally buy a new one. I hope he treats this one better.
i know a guy with a Taylor 314-CE that just leaves his guitar in a case everyday. he literally plays it only once a week...

and the same guy has a Gibson Sg faded special that he lost...somewhere. it just vanished
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
I saw a used guitar at shop once that had a Floyd, and althought it was in tune, the floyd looked like it was completely dived The locking nut was missing a lock, and every string, especially the g, had a horrible buzz. It suprisingly had EMG pickups though It was like 300$ and i didnt even bother playing it through an amp, the neck was uncomfortable and the buzz was unbearable.
My old strat copy came in the worse condition ever...As soon as i took it out of the box There was so much buzz i couldn't hear myself play, The input jack was falling out, The stap buttons had to be replaced...it was a mess untill i took it to my local music store and got it fixed
Quote by Wigert

"Kill me, please"

what the **** happened to that Floyd? How is it still...attached? there's a missing side on it.
My brother's bass. It's a beginner one, but still. Two of the pots have fallen into the bass and it's been dropped countless times. Sad.
deviantART ||| flickr
┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘
last.fm zune
coryklok is my e-hubby! ^_^
rip Billy Mays <3
Quote by Meddled
I remember back in highschool some guys would always bring in their equipment and be oblivious to the fact that they were not well setup, or plain roughly kept.

I've seen a Stagg flying V copy with an actual spider's web between the bridge pickup and the body.

I've also seen newly bought guitars with the pickups either too high or too low, but on only one side. My friend at school bought a Squier affinity strat package, and the strat came with the neck pickup flush with the pickguard on one side only. He didn't think this was abnormal. I would pity him, or offer to fix it, but he thought he was a guitar genius, so I left him to it.

Various other things, Floyd Rose guitars with locking nuts falling off etc, or other loose components. FLoyd Rose guitars with the whammy bar making a clattering noise against the body, both the bridge and the actual arm fouling against the body at various points in use etc etc etc..

Tell me your stories!

my friend took a bandsaw to a Hohner 'Arbor' strat copy and cut off the horns and a good chunk of the forearm contour:

like this:

for some reason...

I think it was supposed to look 'pointy' and 'metal'... it didn't... it looked like like ****
My LTD V-250 came in awful shape. Took about three hours to set up properly. When I got it, the LFR was raised up to some ungodly high level. The locking nut was missing, the input jack was out and hanging, and for some ungodly reason he decided to take the black finish off the pickups.

After a new locking nut and some adjustments though, it's one of the sweetest playing guitars I've ever held. That and the weathered look of the finish is kind of alluring.

I've got a buddy that has an old Squier Stagemaster that's missing the locking nut and is horribly out of tune all the time. I don't even know if he's going to block the trem yet, but as it stands there's way too much noise from it losing tune and him not adjusting the trem itself.
My friend has a Squier mini strat that is more or less being held together by tape.
Saint Louis Blues
My school's guitars are all terrible. We have a tech department, but no one in the faculty can be bothered to take them down and get the inputs re-soldered and all that. Everything's off.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Well a lot my gear WAS treated like this. Have you seen how Gary looks? Well the guy I bought it from made it to him. He played him with a spike bracelet. With thin nitro laquer, youget what happens.

Also my cab was in awful condition. It smelled a bit moldy, had LOADS of dead spiders and spider webs in it. Not only that, but there was a THICK layer of dust and all the screws were rusted out of working order. This is however not a big fault of my dad. The amp that was inside it blew. Since I didn't play back then, he just put it in the basement when we lived in a house. However that basement wasn't way too good, being cold, often not being very dry and so on. However back then, he just didn't know what to do with it though.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
about 5-6 months after i started playing, i asked for a new guitar for my birthday. my dad got me a jackson dinky dkmg and i had no clue what a floyd rose was then. when ever i whammied, only the bottom two strings would go out of tune and the top four strings would always stay the same pitch no matter how far i turned the tuning knobs. also in order to clean my guitar of finger prints i used a paper towel leaving swirl shaped scratches all over the front of the guitar. this went on untill i broke my high e string and went to get a new one. the guy at the store was very nice and showed me how to put strings on a FR (this was the first time i had ever heard of a FR). i also still have those scratches in it and still can't get them out (pm me if you have any ideas how).
Quote by Siempie666
A mate of mine has got a guitar which he treats so bad. I can almost hear it scream in pain xD

dude exactly as the other guitarrist in my band
his guitar has some holes in it and all the knob(les paul copy so 4 knobs) seem like they are going to fall every minute.
only decent thing on it is that it has a sweet action without a lot of fret buzz, then he totally destroyed it...
and i think he f*cked up the ground wire because most of the times you can hear that high pitch-anoying sound... just like if the guitar is screaming in pain xD
Gear:
LTD MH-1000
Ibanez RG350EX
ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Peavey ValveKing 112
Boss GE-7 EQ
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Digitech RP350
None of these stories are really, er, "horrifying" except for the drunken episodes or just general bad ideas. Most of this just sounds like people who don't completely take care of their instruments or Sh** just happening.
Quote by madshatter
about 5-6 months after i started playing, i asked for a new guitar for my birthday. my dad got me a jackson dinky dkmg and i had no clue what a floyd rose was then. when ever i whammied, only the bottom two strings would go out of tune and the top four strings would always stay the same pitch no matter how far i turned the tuning knobs. also in order to clean my guitar of finger prints i used a paper towel leaving swirl shaped scratches all over the front of the guitar. this went on untill i broke my high e string and went to get a new one. the guy at the store was very nice and showed me how to put strings on a FR (this was the first time i had ever heard of a FR). i also still have those scratches in it and still can't get them out (pm me if you have any ideas how).

Are you sure you weren't using steel wool? never though paper towels were durable enough to destroy a finish....
ESP KH-202 emg-hz
ESP KH-502, duncan custom 5, duncan 59
1978 alverez acoustic
Peavey valveking 100 head
line 6 4-12 cabinet
EVH flange, wilson q-wah, boss chorus ensemble, dunlop brick power supply
I kick a few pedals against my garage wall, when I need more inspiration for some blues-writing.

Never works, but I like the sound of Behringers cracking.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by JDizzle787
Are you sure you weren't using steel wool? never though paper towels were durable enough to destroy a finish....

yes. anything other then micro fiber towels will scratch a guitar finish. also, they arent like deep giant gashed in the finish. they are pretty fine scratches and are only visible if the room is well lit and the light shines on it well but never the less, they are noticable to me and it's annoying haha