Hey guys ive been playing bass for about a year and half now and ive recently gotten into alot of funk type stuff and slapping. Now i can slap and pop very well and very fast, but I have a huge problem that has been holding me back

I can't slap on any string except for the E string, without hitting the others. And even sometimes when i dont, it just doesnt feel as hard and powerful as my slap on the E string would.

How do you slap on strings above E?
Although I'm not great at slapping and popping, i believe it all has to do with muting the other strings with your fretting hand.
Quote by goest
Although I'm not great at slapping and popping, i believe it all has to do with muting the other strings with your fretting hand.

Pretty much, also, work on your technique, you shouldn't have to mute away THAT much. I spent probably 3 weeks doing nothing but going up and down the strings slapping each one, by itself until i could do it with my eyes closed and a cigg in the other hand. Also, work on slapping the e then the g then the a then the d. That little routine got my accuracy up a lot. I still do that as part of my warmup before i record anything
I mute the lower strings with my thumb on my fretting hand, and you could also try double thumbing, which would be more accurate at slapping the higher strings than using the conventional method.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
just practice slapping you a-d-a-d-a-d-a-d over and over until u dont hit the other. thats wut i did on my 5 string, but i went e-a-d repeated. but its really all about accuracy. just takes a few hours of practice to get it.
WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS
YOU GET A NEW GOD!!!!
You shouldn't have to mute in order to not get a sound out of the other strings, just practice slapping the a and d strings with more accuracy and you'll get it!