Does the Marshall JVM 205 (2 Channel, 50 watt) have enough gain for a Cynic/Sikth/Symphony X/Dream Theater esque sound, and the possibility of more gain, or is it more an 80's thrash sound like most other marshalls?

If not does the 4 channel version have more, and if so, can it be used at low volume, for bedroom practice>?

Cheers,

Mavis
The JVM series of amps have plenty of gain on tap for pretty much all the modern stuff you might need to play. Gain is certainly not an issue and you should have more than enough for the bands you mentioned.

50W for bedroom level is a HECK of alot of wattage though. You're going to have to crank it LOADS to get the saturation.
Quote by mavis3293
would a power attentuator help, such as a thd hotplate or similar?

It would help but not be ideal in my opinion. There is too much tone sucking when attenuating to bedroom volumes in my opinion.
dont get the amp jvms are horrible it has cheesy distortion (like an mg)

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117

? The MG distortion isn't cheesy. It's sterile. Bland. Boring.
ive only noodled on one for about 20 mins but imo they are quite good. It has that Marshall tone, but there is something missing.

It is much better than the TSL range IMO, but lacks that "balls to the wall" (as someone described it yesterday) Marshall crunch you would associate with 800s and Plexis and the such. It sounds good but it doesnt knock you off you feet in the way my JCM800 did. There is better out there for the price
Quote by timzee117

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

JVMs are great amps and they sound amazing - plenty of gain for whatever you might wanna play. However, like I always say, there isnt $2000 worth of tone in the JVM - great amp but its not really worth the price.