Page 1 of 2
I really had my heart set on a marshall JCM 800 but am now thinking, why?

I don't gig, im not in a band and i live in a town house which means alot of complaints.

I think i was looking to get an amp where i didnt need to upgrade when i got into a band and started gigging. A JCM 800 would sound **** at bedroom levels, am i right? I think it would be a waste for such a great amp.

What would you get? I currently own a peavey bandit, the old model from like 10 years or more ago.
I will start gigging properly when i get a band sorted. That could be weeks, months or years, i dont know. I want something that i don't have to upgrade for when i gig and i can use for bands such as guns n roses, motley crue, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, hendrix etc...

Budget is up to about £350- £400 if it is a REALLY good amp for my needs. I would prefer to spend around £200-£250 but i don't want to be restricted.

Sorry for the wall of text and the threads i'v posted all concerning amps haha

Thanks
Theres such thing as a volume knob and never let wattage stop you from buying the amp you want... Think of it like this a 1-5 watt tube amp is techniqually to loud for bedroom use so why would you limit yourself and get something your really dont want when you can have the amp you want and just use the volume knob accordingly.
Tube amps don't sound like crap at low volumes. That's a misconception.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Could you dish out an extra $100 dollars for a weber attenuator? That saturates the tubes at low volumes.
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Quote by TNfootballfan62

+1.
They just sound different.
IMO, get one It will be great. The pre-amp gain can be cranked at home.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
an attenuator allows you to put the master volume on the amp all the way up, so it gets that cranked tube sound, but it allows you to control the output volume like the master volume would regularly do.
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
Quote by moominman2
ahh ok.

Why would an eq pedal not do that then?

could you send some links?

An EQ pedals cuts or boosts frequencies.
It doesn't allow you to crank it, then reduce the volume.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
my JCM800 sounded crap at bedroom volumes...

but immense when cranked.

A JCM800 and an attenuator wont fit in your budget mind...
I dont know much but maybe a Laney VC30 and an OD pedal? (thats the first and last time you'l hear me recommend that!)
Quote by moominman2
thanks

slash...why is that the first and last you'll recomend that? haha

haha it just seems to be the bandwagon to jump on at the moment. There are a lot of Laney fans in this forum that seem to recommend them. Its probably because it IS a good amp, but my experience with Laney isnt so positive. (but then a moron could tell you that if you want a Slash tone then you dont want the LC range... haha)

I dunno, im just wary of bandwagoning. I almost got a Valve junior on the hype from this forum alone... I played one one and thought it sounded truly awful

but the VC30 might be a good amp for the TS to try out
tis true, tube amps dont sound 'bad' at low volumes, just that when they are cranked and are using the power tubes to their potential, they sound better.
I agree with the attenuator. It simply connects between the power amp and the speakers. It absorbs and disipates the energy that is coming from the power amp and allows a lower volume signal to hit the speakers even though the amp is cranked.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
However, I think that you might should check out either the VC30 as suggested. Or a JCM800 4210. I have owned of them and they don't require to be cranked to sound as good. They work pretty weel when playing at home actually.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
thats interesting. I had a 4210 and it didnt sound too great at home. It wasnt horrible, but ive heard better from SS. But I am talking conversation/ TV volumes....
thanks for the advice everyone.

If i were to get the Laney VC30 or the Marshall JCM 800, what pedals would i be looking at for that rock tone such as motley crue, guns n roses, jimi hendrix, joe satriani, hendrix etc...

Would i be ok for pedals?
Im not too sure mate, i havent actually played one, but i suggested Laney + OD as to my knowledge to get to JCM800 territory you'd probably need it. If you go on MrCarrots profile he has a fantastic clip of a VC30 maxed out actually - it sounds very marshally. He uses an attenuator which i think would be in your budget if you got they laney. Check out his profile and if you like the tone there is no reason you wouldnt be able to get the same!
Quote by moominman2
thanks for the advice everyone.

If i were to get the Laney VC30 or the Marshall JCM 800, what pedals would i be looking at for that rock tone such as motley crue, guns n roses, jimi hendrix, joe satriani, hendrix etc...

Would i be ok for pedals?

You need a wah pedal for about any of those bands.

You listed Hendrix twice btw...

You might want to look into an overdrive for the Satriani.

Digitech Bad Monkey's sound good.
cheers slash. that Laney sounds pretty nice! If i see a JCM 800 for a decent price ill probobly go for it but im probobly likely to go with the vc, im not sure yet

ahh ok...haha i didnt see that. Ahh a wah's not a problem
I have a great idea. Get a 30 watt Laney AOR combo. Quiet(ish) and is like a JCM800. It will also save you money because you should easily find one used for under 200 quid. Then you can get an attenuator if you really need one.
if you can either cope with the 800s volume or afford an attenuator then imo its a better option. but the VC does look and sound very good

edit: ^^^ thats actually a really good idea!!!
yeahh, i would cope with the 800's volume because i would know i got my hands on a lovely amp

iv been told to look at laney aor combos but i cant find any!!

can someone help me on that?? much appreciated
Quote by TNfootballfan62

+1

i like the sound of my amp clean, not so loud then i do cranked.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
only place you'll find them is ebay or gumtree really.

If you can crank a JCM800 enough to get a great tone (we are talking LOUD) then i'd say go with that, you could be waiting a while for an AOR to turn up
Quote by TNfootballfan62

+1
They sound good, just not AS good.

If you want a JCM, go fdor it. It's a nice amp, don't let neighbors stop you.
Plus 1 ACDC thats what I came to say
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Page 1 of 2