im looking for a pedal that will give the best heavy, crushing tone (like Adam D's from killswitch for example) and i dont know which to buy. Should i get the Maxon OD-9, the Maxon OD-808, or the electro harmonix metal muff?

one other question... is there a big difference between pedals that have a tube in them (like the metal muff for example) and ones that dont? (like the line 6 uber metal for example)
well i assume you play bass....i think adam just uses like a distortion or overdrive...i'd say like a big muff since it works with bass and guitar and then some other effect he's got which im not sure about maybe like a phaser or maybe like an octave or something.
Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender Champion 110

Guitars:
Fender Strat - HSS
Takamine: EG544SC-4C
Kay Acoustic

Effects:
Morley Bad Horsie II
ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
*EDIT* Ooops i didn't know that guy plays bass haha. But yeah the big muffs are good for bass. Maybe the big muff pi?

The tube in the housing means that it isn't a digital effect i think. Pedals like the uber metal are digital.
Last edited by HighPotency at Aug 21, 2008,
Quote by HighPotency
I listened to the sound clips of the line 6 uber... sounded like complete crap to me. A lot of people will recommend the metal muff, but from what i've seen, it's unreliable. You could always check out Digitech. They have budget pedals but i hear they're pretty good. Maybe the Grunge or Hot Head pedals.

The tube in the housing means that it isn't a digital effect. The uber metal is digital.

lot's of people here using the metal muff here with no problems..........including me. it's miles ahead of the digitech pedals.
nope, i dont play bass, i play guitar i have a shecter hellraiser tempest, and a Peavey 6505 amp head, with a mesa 4x12 cab if your wondering the kind of gear i use.

so yeah, ive used the boss metal zone, and metal core and hated them both. so now im just asking around what would be best between the 3 i named.

also, does anyone know if the maxon pedals have tubes in them aswell? or are they digital
Last edited by viper62084 at Aug 21, 2008,
Quote by viper62084
also, does anyone know if the maxon pedals have tubes in them aswell? or are they digital

They are neither.
Try them out - they should work fine, as your current amp has tons of gain.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
thanks for the replies hehe, i might go with the metal muff... because this tube inside it seems appealing
Quote by HighPotency
*EDIT* Ooops i didn't know that guy plays bass haha. But yeah the big muffs are good for bass. Maybe the big muff pi?

The tube in the housing means that it isn't a digital effect i think. Pedals like the uber metal are digital.

Wrong, there are analog effects that don't have tubes. I BELIEVE, that it drives the tube to get more natural sounding distortion.
The Metal muff is a metal distortion pedal and the ods are good for boosting. The metal muff will suit you better.
cool, it seems like most people prefer the metal muff over the maxons, im probably gonna try them both just to make sure
For metal, the Big Muff might be a good bet; the Maxon won't have enough gain and I'm not sure how the the Metal muff will handle bass.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by viper62084
how is the big muff compared to the metal muff?

I personally think the big muff is for classic rock and Metal muff for metal of course lol.

But, I love the metal muff, it takes a while to eq to get a good sound. But, I have already found many so far. Very good rythym and lead pedal. It's also true bypass, so it doesn't suck your tone away.

Never tried the big muff before. But, saw some videos about it though..You should check on the metal muff. Also, It will get you that Killswitch Engage Tone your looking for. It's perfect for you!!! If you are talking about that band?
Last edited by life_777 at Aug 21, 2008,
Quote by viper62084
nope, i dont play bass, i play guitar i have a shecter hellraiser tempest, and a Peavey 6505 amp head, with a mesa 4x12 cab if your wondering the kind of gear i use.

so yeah, ive used the boss metal zone, and metal core and hated them both. so now im just asking around what would be best between the 3 i named.

why cant you get a sick tone out of it already?
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
i can get a good tone from what i have, im just trying build on it, and make it as good as it can be, and the mesa 4x12 cab i have, i got off ebay used hehe, so idk if it sounds as good as a new one
Quote by viper62084
i can get a good tone from what i have, im just trying build on it, and make it as good as it can be, and the mesa 4x12 cab i have, i got off ebay used hehe, so idk if it sounds as good as a new one

mesas could be thrown down stairs and sound great, but yeah your speakers might be dead

wanna hear the sickest change in tone EVER? look up the BBE sonic maximizer
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
why would you not use that amazing peavey distortion, and use a cheap pedal instead...

just use the amps distortion, and maybe tighten it up with an overdrive, like the maxon od808, or od-9
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
99 for the pedal, which IMO isnt as nice as spending the extra 100 and getting it in a rack system

it is the sickest, and most godliest change in tone EVER
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
its crazy dude i cant even explain
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
I didn't know you had a 6505. If you can't get a satisfying KSE tone out of that, we have a problem. But get the Maxon od808 and use it to boost and tighten up the gain.