He doesn't know it yet, because I haven't said anything, but after three months of lessons and a new instructor who is more energetic and rock oriented, I am letting my 15 YO son drop. The instructor came out and said he has never seen a more disinterested, lifeless student in his studio. After giving him everything to succeed, it's apparent he had no passion or desire. Thanks to everyone for their opinions.
PRS SE Singlecut
Sounds like you did all you could. Still encourage your son to teach himself though, I know I hated sax lessons when I was a kid but I taught myself how to play guitar easy enough
Quote by Dionietzsche
Sounds like you did all you could. Still encourage your son to teach himself though, I know I hated sax lessons when I was a kid but I taught myself how to play guitar easy enough

x2

Some kids like lessons (typically more mature ones) and some don't. He might get more of a kick out of learning and teaching himself. Sometimes lessons can seem like too much of an obligation to a teen. They don't like commitment. But if you give him breathing room he'll come around.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
i used to hate piano when i was a kid, but now i try to play all the time...and fail haha. hopefully he learned some useful music stuff, cause at least when i took piano i learned to read music.
maybe guitar isnt his thing...try drums, or even into brass like trumpet. maybe later on he will come back to it....

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Sounds like a strict teacher if there the actual words he used...
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by Tyler Durden
maybe guitar isnt his thing...try drums, or even into brass like trumpet. maybe later on he will come back to it....

Then he could be in a sweet ska band.
'15 Fender Modern Player Tele
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Currently GASing for: Orange TH30C
To be honest I never wanted to play as a kid. My dad, who is a fret board bad ass always tried getting me to play even at very young ages....like 5-7? He never pushed it, but honestly I wished he had. Think how good I'd be right now, and it's turned into one of the RARE things I actually love doing.
Food for thought.
Martin DX1
79' Strat with original 1972 maple neck w/bullet truss / Lace Sensor Golds
93' Strat mahogany neck with Lace Sensor Silver.
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
Well don't despair too bad. Guitar wasn't for me when I was 15, just didn't have the patience for it. But the passion returned later, and I can't get enough.
Quote by turtlewax
Sounds like a strict teacher if there the actual words he used...

Sounds like a good teacher.
I had the same problem when I was a kid. His friends are interested in other things, girls, video games, cars, whatever and music takes a backseat. I quit at 16 and came back 4 years later, so don't give up hope.
Quote by eminentgonz
Sounds like a good teacher.

+1

EDIT: at least the teacher isnt ripping him off by not saying anything and jsut letting him sit there not imrpoving.
I remember taking Violin and Trumpet lessons for under a year and quitting because I wasn't practicing. No, I wasn't dedicated at all, but one of my main problems was that I didn't like the music/what was being taught. Try introducing your kid to new styles of music and allow him to try and learn that.

Once I found a style of music I liked, I remember my guitar teacher saying that I'm one of the most enthusiastic students he's had in a while.
"Dude, you gotta pull an "Axl Rose" on them.
Tell them it's your band, if they don't like it, they can get in line and kiss your ass." ~pablo_arg
I love my teacher, hes not strict at all, hes a socks + sandles type of guy who always laughs. I'm quitting lessons too, but "quitting" is not a good way to put it, I feel I've gathered enough information to go off on my own.

What I'm saying is, maybe tell him its ok to quit lessons but what about learn at your own pace, at your own leisure, so you dont feel you need to practice so much, just play when you want, no pressure.
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

The one thing you guys are getting, he has no interest in guitar. In three months of guitar lessons, letting him practice on his own schedule, he has probably put in no more than 2 hours total of practice in three months. He doesn't care if I sell it, when I told him last night lessons were over for him, he took all of his study material and threw it in the trash and then walked around the house telling everyone how stupid guitar is and glad he is done being forced to learn. I tried is all I can say. I practiced and set the example, but he did not follow. At least my other son is dedicated and loves to play and practice.
PRS SE Singlecut
Quote by samtastic6
The one thing you guys are getting, he has no interest in guitar. In three months of guitar lessons, letting him practice on his own schedule, he has probably put in no more than 2 hours total of practice in three months. He doesn't care if I sell it, when I told him last night lessons were over for him, he took all of his study material and threw it in the trash and then walked around the house telling everyone how stupid guitar is and glad he is done being forced to learn. I tried is all I can say. I practiced and set the example, but he did not follow. At least my other son is dedicated and loves to play and practice.

LOL

He'll regret it. Mark my words.
Sounds like you wanted him to play far more than he did, maybe he only agreed to it to seek your approval?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
dont force things on him.

if he doesnt like it, he doesnt like it. My dad wanted me to play soccer when i was younger and i hated it as well. Definitely wouldnt want him to keep pushing me.
I had this same problem when I was about 13 when my parents tried to get me to play piano, I just didn't like it and I had no desire to practice. Music in general was too hard for me I thought I could never learn so I gave up. Little did I know about when I was 18 my friends around all played guitar so I went ahead and picked it up. Now I play everyday and would love to get lessons. (no cash) If your son doesn't want to take lessons, let him quit. He'll realize as he gets older that guitar is a lot cooler than he thought back then.
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
dont force it when i was 11 i learned drums and was really good at it but it wasnt what i wanted to do at the time.... i wanted to play volleyball. 4 years later i pick up a guitar... but i still want to play drums...
It almost sounds like you were forcing it on him, but if it's any consolation I had a pretty similar go-around the first time with the guitar when I was about that age. I barely practiced, and the music didn't really grab me. Now that I'm older and have gotten a lot more passionate about music, I've finally decided to pick up the instrument again and take it more seriously this time. I've played more in the last week or two just plunking with tabs horribly than I ever did back then, and I'm having a ton of fun doing it. Don't force it on him, if he's meant for it the instrument will call him again.
I randomly decided "Hey I wanna learn guitar" and so, bought my first... I played for about a month or so, then sat it down not to play again for 6 months I guess. But after that I just kept going and continued to play. Something that really helps me is several of my friends also play guitar and talking to them about it is an encouragement.

Maybe he will come to like guitar, maybe not. You can't do much about it really. You did try.