So I just bought a MG100HDFX half stack (yes I know everyone hates this amp, but I liked the sound of it so I bought it) and a Boss RC-2 pedal. I already have a Digitech GNX3000 pedal as well...

So here is my question. What I would like to do, is set up my rig to where my guitar comes out of the amp (obvious and completed already), and then I run my RC-2 and my GNX together in a loop into my amp. There have been a couple issues tho...

1) Do i go from the head into the gnx and then into the RC-2? Or the other way around?

2) Is there a way to use the GNX as just an effects pedal? Like just use it for reverb or distortion or flanger etc? I guess I want the Marshall tone with the effects from the GNX and I dont want the GNX to add its own amp models into the sound...does that make sense?

I apologize if im not explaining it well but hopefully someone knows what im goin for here. Thanks in advance for any help that you can throw my way.

Oh and also one other small problem but I think it was because I was an idiot. I had the effects hooked up in the loop and I tried tuning with the GNX pedal, but nothing was happening to it...but my effects loop mix knob was down all the way. I'm assuming thats what it was but I was at band practice and didnt have time to screw with it. Thanks again guys.
Elitists and Hypocrites
*facepalm

for number 2 i think your stuck with amp modeling

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
*facepalm

for number 2 i think your stuck with amp modeling

Do you have a GNX? Do you know that for a fact or are you just guessing.

Oh and thanks for the ...really helpful
Elitists and Hypocrites

Anyway, you'll want the RC-2 going into the GNX and there should be a way to turn off the amp modelling on the GNX and just use it for effects.

Though in all honesty I doubt it will sound any good at all, how many different amps did you try out?
Quote by UncleCthulhu

Anyway, you'll want the RC-2 going into the GNX and there should be a way to turn off the amp modelling on the GNX and just use it for effects.

Though in all honesty I doubt it will sound any good at all, how many different amps did you try out?

A decent amount (5-10) and I liked the Marshall sound the best. I liked the sound of it and I liked that it came in a half stack. Basically I just liked it lol. I'm sure I'm not super picky about tone like alot of people but it sounded good to me and thats all that matters right?
Elitists and Hypocrites
You didnt like anything CLOSE to the "marshall sound". You bought it because it sas marshall on the front.

I absolutley 100% guarantee you will hate that amp in T minus 2 weeks.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
well your going to regret buying the MG once you decide to crank the volume up (that is when MGs suck really badly)

I know that sounds hypocritical because I have an MG, but hey the smaller ones are the only MGs that are ok..
Quote by dcdossett65
You didnt like anything CLOSE to the "marshall sound". You bought it because it sas marshall on the front.

I absolutley 100% guarantee you will hate that amp in T minus 2 weeks.

Ok...I liked the sound that came out of the amp. The sound came out of a Marshall. Therefore I liked the Marshall sound. I disagree with you 100% because I LIKE THE SOUND THAT COMES OUT OF MY MARSHALL. Just because something might sound better than mine doesnt mean that I cant like what mine sounds like. I agree tubes sound better. Not disagreeing with anyone on that. But what is so damn wrong with liking a SS sound? NOTHING. Its PREFERENCE. You take whatever amp you like and play the crap out of it. I'm gonna play the crap out of my amp. I dont care if YOU like the sound. Its not your damn amp. I like the sound so go blow it out your ass.

I didnt start this thread to defend my choice to buy my amp. I was asking if anyone could help me out with my problem of setting everything up. Dont freakin post if you dont have some advice on how to set my stuff up.
Elitists and Hypocrites
Last edited by CSUTremonti777 at Aug 21, 2008,
You have a point if you like it then hey thats your own prefrence... But an FYI that amp was made by another company first and Marshall purchased the line and slapped there name on it. So please do not refer to it as Marshall tone/sound...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
You have a point if you like it then hey thats your own prefrence... But an FYI that amp was made by another company first and Marshall purchased the line and slapped there name on it. So please do not refer to it as Marshall tone/sound...

Fair enough but its still technically a marshall tone because its coming out of a marshall. It may not be THE marshall tone that comes from say a jcm or something along those lines but technically it is a marshall tone. But its just semantics either way.
Elitists and Hypocrites
guitar > rc2 > digitech thing > amp. Nothing in the FX loop.

You should be able to turn amp moddling off on your digitech.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
Quote by SweetsForLife
guitar > rc2 > digitech thing > amp. Nothing in the FX loop.

You should be able to turn amp moddling off on your digitech.

Awesome man thanks. Just curious cuz I've never had an amp with an effects loop before why nothing in the loop?
Elitists and Hypocrites
Quote by CSUTremonti777
Awesome man thanks. Just curious cuz I've never had an amp with an effects loop before why nothing in the loop?

Because an MG fx loop is going to be crap

Other than that, you want the looper to be looping your direct guitar signal, so it should idealy in the guitars direct signal.

edit: your free to try the digitech in the loop...im saying dont put it in cuz most guitarists i know always put it before their amp. Try it in and out of the loop, and see which you prefer.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
i hope all you haters get the ban hammer. he likes his amp, leave him alone.
and yes i beleive you can use it just for the effects. just dont use the amp models. (i hope im thinking of the right thing)
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I personally would go - Guitar>Amp Input FXsend>Digitech pedal>RC2>FXreturn

Purely because that way you would be able to sample the FX and distortion onto the RC2 without messing up the other sounds
put the digitech before the rc2 if you want to be able to loop a line with reverb or whatever and a line without.
put the rc2 first if you want the effect to control the entire loop. both have their advantages.
and i think you can use the digitech without amp modeling, but i haven't seen one in awhile, so i'm not sure. most of the big effects boards have a way to bypass the modeler.
Quote by gonzosrevenge55
put the digitech before the rc2 if you want to be able to loop a line with reverb or whatever and a line without.
put the rc2 first if you want the effect to control the entire loop. both have their advantages.
and i think you can use the digitech without amp modeling, but i haven't seen one in awhile, so i'm not sure. most of the big effects boards have a way to bypass the modeler.

So by putting the rc2 first, its only going to loop my clean guitar right? And the the effects are added in later in the line?

And by putting the gnx first, the looper will loop only the effects coming from the pedal correct?
Elitists and Hypocrites
If you use it right you can get a good tone, not as good as say a expensive tube amp but considering the price it's understandable. I used the 250 combo for about 3 years and the best tone I got out of it was by using a Metal Muff and turning the gain on the clean channel down a lot (think .2) and using the pedal's and the master volume to get the desired volume.