Hi,

So we all tried working together on a song today rather than just one of us writing it out on power tab and it sure turned out to be much more difficult and stressful experience than I imagined. I was just wondering what techniques other bands use when writing together. I find it annoying that my bassist wants to work out every little detail of the music (altough he does have the lyrics done) as we go along so it took hours to write a fairly simple intro. So I tell him that we should work out the basic "structure" of the song and add other bits in when we have that finished.

So could someone please give us some tips here?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
a thing me and my band always do is we all have a good laugh and joke with each other beforehand, so when we go into writing some music were all in a good frame of mind and relaxed
Quote by Abunai X
Oh my God. I've only laughed out loud on this site about 4 tiems since I signed up.

You have just created a 5th.

Quote by cukd7x-a2-
OH. MY . GOD

for that you get the tower of lulz, with which you can reach the lulgods
we usuallyget nohing done from 8 hours work and i do it myself
Quote by cliff_em_all
cof_median11 is a Child Rapist.

Quote by blink day 4 eva
Theres a mosquito that lives in my room and i let him bite me all the time and i let him live. It's our special deal. His name is "The Dude".

Quote by Babbs
cof_median11, you sick ****.
Can't do it in one band I'm in. The drummer always just pisses around, and I get really annoyed. I write songs with the singer (and sometimes the guitarist) from the band though, just not the drummer.

In my other band, we just sit around and are all pretty much on the same page.

Perhaps its partly being lucky with the members? But also, treat it as a fun activity rather than something that must be done, and maybe everybody will be more relaxed about it.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
but if we do it usually starts with a drum beat followed by the guitar and hold lyrics til we've got the song down
Quote by cliff_em_all

Quote by blink day 4 eva
Theres a mosquito that lives in my room and i let him bite me all the time and i let him live. It's our special deal. His name is "The Dude".

Quote by Babbs
Compromise and live in the moment.

If you want to lay the basic structure of the tune down and lay out the finer details later, give it a shot, but if someone is running with an idea for a riff, run down that lane for a while before moving on (before a potentially great idea is lost in time:P)

Do both when the time is feeling right. If you do it one way all of the time the creative magic can be lost and being in a band becomes a chore and like work, and when that happens you won't be having fun anymore etc.

Try to talk it out, see whats right for the moment and go with it! Don't have a band turn into a dictatorship of the front man with the other members just tagging along to his/her whims.

OR

If he is bent on details, set aside for a bit in th session. Work out the structure on your own and allow him to work on the finer details alone (in different parts of the room unplugged so you don't confuse/annoy each other) and bang out the seperate pieces, then you'll have the structure and he'll have the finer details put together, then come together with your ideas and suggestions, put it together and smooth out the bumps so everyone is happy with the final results.
Quote by cof_median11
we usuallyget nohing done from 8 hours work and i do it myself

That's what always happened to me. I decided to leave and start my own work.

At least his band doesn't do what mine did...everyone would show up and set up and then everyone would just be messing around playing Metallica and being idiots instead of writing anything...
Quote by Soroki
That's what always happened to me. I decided to leave and start my own work.

At least his band doesn't do what mine did...everyone would show up and set up and then everyone would just be messing around playing Metallica and being idiots instead of writing anything...

we've done that to.......

i need a new band i think
Quote by cliff_em_all

Quote by blink day 4 eva

Quote by Babbs
Thanks, but if I just work on the structure how will he know how the finer parts are gonna go?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I left for more personal reasons. Mainly the lead guitarist treating my friend Emma like crap. I wasn't going to stand for that, and our band just wasn't working out. Nobody could be serious for five minutes..
I usually tell my band mates what key the song should be in and we all fiddle around in that key at home then when were together we combine or riffs and organize it into a song.
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
Looks like I better actually learn how to determine the songs key then...
Quote by turtlewax
Looks like I better actually learn how to determine the songs key then...
YES! If you're writing as a group, theory is extremely valuable. Makes communicating ideas a lot easier.
ok then, we know the notes were playing and how many beats in a bar and stuff, we tell what "fits" together so it must be in key right?
Quote by turtlewax
ok then, we know the notes were playing and how many beats in a bar and stuff, we tell what "fits" together so it must be in key right?
I suppose. What I'm saying is it's a lot easier if you can say "Kay this vocal melody fits over a I V vi IV. Let's try it in E. Now get on it!"
Yeah it does sound easier, is there a quick way of finding out what keys things are in?
Well, for starters, try to find what note sounds like home. This would be the root of course. Look at everything else and see what scale it forms around it. For instance, if your notes are E, F#, G, A, B, and D, and your root is E, you're in E minor.
Quote by turtlewax
So could someone please give us some tips here?
If you look at the back of most album covers, you can see who in the band actually writes the music. Usually it's the two guys that are great friends. Sure other guys can dispute things and change things, but its these two that normally write the majority of the music and lyrics. Sometimes its just the one guy.

It would be nice to have a band in which all members of the band contribute and I would do evil, evil things to get into a band like this (if it worked). But, most probably, the songwriting process would probably be really slow and all of you will start to fight over insignificant things.

Just my two cents
i think writing together is a great idea in order to help develop songwriting skills, up to a point.

once you have some confidence in your ability i think its better for you to write the entire song yourself. that's not to say other band members don't have any part, of course they contribute feel and personality to the music, but more importantly they are all playing to the vision of the song as created by you. sometimes i feel alot of bands sound scattered because too many people are writing the songs so everything ends up being compromised and losing its edge. too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the soup.

again though, it's never a bad idea to try to write songs with other people as you become exposed to new ideas and approaches.
Hello Turtlewax,

it's me the Bassist from your band!

Am I bad person Lewis?

All I want to give you is love.

lol, you know its against the rules to post in dead threads? This is back from when we were writing our first song. Thankfully we get stuff done faster now
Last edited by turtlewax at Oct 10, 2009,