So, I played the 75W Peavey Vypyr today. And it left a very bad taste in my mouth that I cannot get over. No, it's not that I hated the amp. In fact, I loved it! And that is where the bad taste comes from.

I have a Fender Blues Junior and a Boss ME-50. It's been good to me so far, and I can get pretty good tones with it. But, after trying that Vypyr, I think I could do a little bit better.

The 75W Vypyr is $300, and I'm pretty sure I could get that much out of my Blues Junior and ME-50, and I would throw in the Boss power supply, as well.

So, would it be a good idea to sell my rig and purchase a Vypyr? I loved the tones on it, and the employee at my local store was very helpful in helping me find some good settings, and knew what he was talking about. He told me about some of the features, but the amp did most of the speaking. Also note, I tried it out with the same kind of guitar I have as well.

It's a very impressive amp, so do you guys think I should sell my stuff and buy a Vypyr? Or wait a while and save up some money, sell my stuff and get something even better than the Vypyr? My mouth is watering, and I think I'm really GASing for one of these...

Thanks in advance to those who reply!

EDIT: I changed the title to make it relevant to this thread.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Last edited by E V H 5150 at Aug 21, 2008,
i'd say sleep on it before you do anything stupid

if your gonna sell your ****, why dont you buy something better then the vypyr

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

There's no Guitar Center in my area. You can tell that, because I said,

"The employee knew what he was talking about" or something like that.

The thread is not about the Vypyr, really. It's whether I should sell my rig to purchase a Vypyr, and isn't really relative, in my opinion, to the Vypyr thread, hence why I made a new thread.
Jackson DK2M
Fender MiM Telecaster

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

MXR M101 Phase 90
i'd say the fact it left such a huge impression on you is positive. Id go back and play it, and play a few others. It may be just that the blues junior doesnt suit you, in which case just plumping for the first thing that sounds a bit more like it probably isnt the best.

Try it again, think about it, then try it again. If you still want it, get it!!!
id say wait a little bit and play it some more before u switch amps because maybe the vypyr is so enticing because its fresh and different but ultimately you could be disappointed
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
i'd say the fact it left such a huge impression on you is positive. Id go back and play it, and play a few others. It may be just that the blues junior doesnt suit you, in which case just plumping for the first thing that sounds a bit more like it probably isnt the best.

Try it again, think about it, then try it again. If you still want it, get it!!!

The Blues Junior has great cleans, and the only reason I bought it was because I could just use my ME-50, which I already had, for all my distortion needs. But the distortion settings on the Vypyr sounded more... true, more real. A lot less digital than my ME-50. Everything sounded more true... the only thing I would probably miss from the ME-50 is the wah, but I would probably just end up buying a good wah in the future anyway, or just getting the Sanpera II footswitch which has wah, I believe.
Jackson DK2M
Fender MiM Telecaster

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

MXR M101 Phase 90
Quote by E V H 5150
There's no Guitar Center in my area. You can tell that, because I said,

"The employee knew what he was talking about" or something like that.

The thread is not about the Vypyr, really. It's whether I should sell my rig to purchase a Vypyr, and isn't really relative, in my opinion, to the Vypyr thread, hence why I made a new thread.

OK Chief.

i realize that was not the point of your thread and i don't know what to tell you to do. Lot's of people are waiting to hear others impressions that have played it, so I was mearly suggesting you pass on your info to that thread as well.

i wasn't trying to suggest that you shouldn't have started a new one based on your needs. sorry, it came out that way. Good Luck!
you might just need a few OD pedals and a wah though, and sell the ME50.

All im saying is dont rush into anything you may regret the Vypyr might be amazing, i wouldnt know, but the blues junior is a great amp. Try every option before you decide
I bought a Vypyr 30 yesterday and I love the sounds I'm getting from the Rectifier and 6505 models. I unfortunately bought it at Guitar Center; I don't have anything against the place, but I was annoyed cause I had to listen to one particular salesman tell people about how the Spider III was a "sick ass amp" and how people should buy Schecters, not because they play great, but because the EMG's have "crushing distortion".
I wouldn't do it if i were you. Vypers just came out recently and we don't know how dependable they really are yet. I'd say instead of selling your rig and getting the amp. Maybe try buying another pedal to go with your JR if you want it to sound more natural. I just think that the rig you have now will probably be more practical and versitale. Either way I'd wait and see.
Quote by InvaderTSN
It's the Asian blood in his veins. It allows him to accomplish things normal people are unable to.

Puberty was very vague. I literally locked myself in a room and played guitar.
a few pedals through your blues junior should get you a much better tone.

id sell the me50, as that is what is making your tone sound digital and invest in some good pedals.
If you liked it, then do it. Really, why buy a $2000 tube amp if you prefer the tone from the Vypyr?

Personally, I love the Vypyr. I can't wait for mine to arrive. Test it out again after you sleep on it, and if you still feel the same way... go for it.

Don't listen to anyone saying 'do this and this and you'll get better tone' or 'your tone will be too digital blah blah blah'... in the end, tone is a personal preference. Find what tone suits YOU, not what suits some randoms on a guitar forum.
Sell the ME50 and get a different multifx. If you decide to sell the BJr and ME50, you should be able to get $450 out of the both of them.