I have always just played for myself, but recently I had someone ask me to play for them. I used my go-to riff which I play every day and I totally choked and looked like a complete tool. I've tried practicing by turning a video camera on, but even then I start thinking about it to much and eff up easy stuff. Any suggestions for this?
play in front of people more often....when i started my buddy came over to see how I was progressing and i went to my "go-to" riff and stunk....the more I play in front of friends the easier it gets...

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
I thought this would be about playing the song under pressure lolz. You'll just need to practice in front of people more often. When my band had its first gig, we blew. Now i'm fine in front of audiences, but playing for just one person is still a bit awkward for me...
Yeah everyone gets like it. I used to mess up simple stuff with just a few good friends around, after a few years of jammin together regulary i feel as comfortable as i would alone. A few beers always loosens me up if im playing with someone new
God and Country are an unbeatable team; they break all records for oppression and bloodshed.
you have to think about other things. it's really hard though ha, i have the same trouble.
Quote by Tyler Durden
play in front of people more often....when i started my buddy came over to see how I was progressing and i went to my "go-to" riff and stunk....the more I play in front of friends the easier it gets...

seconded
Yeah, I guess I should. I live alone and don't play out so I don't have a whole lot of opportunities to play for people, which is why I've been using a camera instead. I think I suck even worse for a camera than I do for people!
also, the better you feel at playing something, the more confident you'll feel about yourself. or in other words, skill relaxes your knees from shakin'!!
Quote by pepsi1187
take a shot of something... it might help calm your nerves

not this, not this at all

confidence and familiarity relaxes you. also playing in front of other people helps too. in the end it boils down to just not giving a f#ck. i've played in front of crowds and if you just ignore the screw ups and keep going nobodys going to notice it
Quote by RCalisto
also, the better you feel at playing something, the more confident you'll feel about yourself. or in other words, skill relaxes your knees from shakin'!!

Right on the money.

I used to do the whole shaky knee thing and everything in years gone by. What made it go away for me, was just a gradual change in me as a person and a guitar player over the years. I became more confident, and felt less of a need to impress. Looking back, when I was younger and would choke I realize now that I was trying to show off and prove something. Now it's more like, "I'm going to play this thing because I enjoy it, and I will be pleased if you like it, but if you don't then it's not the end of the world to me".
oh yes, when I play in front of some friend its like if my skill was halved, I get really nervous and i dont feel relaxed at all

this doesnt happen when its my wife or daughter watching, i guess i got used to it

the good thing is that even making lots of mistakes and playing really bad my friends still think that I play very well, lol, they must be deaf
I don't start messing up, but sometimes I get that 'what the hell should I play?" thing and play one or two songs and then fiddle around on the guitar while talking to em. When I'm playing with my band I'm not like that though, I do fine even if other people are watching. I guess I just don't really give a fuck. But if it's just me playing for a couple of people I never know what to play so I ask em to tell me something and they name some shitty pop songs I don't know because it's a shitty pop song.
go to the park and jam acoustically with a friend, just be open and relaxed and be ready to deal with all walks of life. knowing all sorts of music helps as well, I've played wrestling theme tunes for a bunch of kids, 'Here comes the sun' for a lovely old couple, a medley of Oasis songs for a group of chavs and always manage to squeeze in some zeppelin or pantera. just don't give fear a chance.
Im pretty comfortable playing around my close friends but Ive recently started singing along and while I can kill it at home by myself Im still scared to project my voice amongst friends even though they encourage me to. I do get a little tense playing around people I dont know. Once I get comfortable Im pretty much 100% with anyone around.
you shouldn't ever feel pressure.

slight nervous butterflies before you go on stage, yes, but no pressure. your guitar is your friend, your sanctuary. any fool will be impressed by the simplest three note riff assuming they're not a musician themselves.

however, if you want to be prepared then learn a couple of nirvana/oasis/johnny cash songs, scom riff, stairway solo, smoke on the water/ iron man/satisfaction riff etc. things that people know.

if you're jamming with someone else then you just let it flow and go by feel.
I play worse when I'm being recorded, video-taped or watched by my teacher. I can usually do well in front of parents, and I also did good when I was jamming with my cousin (who was on drums). But when his mom came down to see what we were doing, I started messing up. And when she got the camera... baaad stuff.

The only way to get better at it is to keep doing at it. Play in front of friends/family/people who don't care if you mess up.
Saint Louis Blues
self confidence is a major battle for anyone in the performing arts...

think of the pressure the Olympic folks have on them to "produce" when the levels are set in measures of hundreds of a second...yikes...now thats pressure

i would see some "top" players freeze in some situations because of confidence issues...and it happens to ALL of us..

lick and songs we know inside-out become thousand pound monsters on our fingers..all the theory...scales..etc are as far away as the next universe...

but its trial by fire...and you HAVE to go through it...its part of the package...

i have seen larry coryell, john scofield..even ted greene...make "mistakes" and recover in split seconds with a smile on their face...you may not notice if you have not gone through it yourself...but in time the recovery process is just that...you don't stop and think..."wow these people will think is suck..."

in truth they will never know you hit the "wrong" note .. because it wont matter..

watching major acts on tour Steve Miller, Kenny Chesney (sp?) etc .. do the same "act" night after night ... and the guitar parts seem perfect...but there must be nights when someone plays a wrong note...and the guys in the band know it...but you don't...and the players dont think its the end of the world...

just something to think about

play well

wolf