Theres this weird popping noise that seems to come out of my amp every so often.

Yesterday when I was playing, I noticed that the sound seemed to slowly get quieter until it just about faded. I looked and noticed inside the head that one of the tubes had lit up really bright compared to the rest. I shut everything off for a minute or so, and restarted it and everything seemed to play fine with the odd popping noise every so often.

Anyone know what this means? Do I need to replace the tubes? If so, is it a 'do it yourself' job or do I need a tech to do it?
gear

Epiphone SG-400
Agile AL-3100
Schecter Damien-7 (EMG 707 swap)
Peavey JSX Head
Peavey 412 Cab
Boss GT-10
Yamaha FG720S Acoustic
could be preamp tubes. i have had that problem before.
also, it could be your pickups are too close to the string, so when your hand rests on the strings it hits the magnets.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
How do I fix this? I don't think its the pickups, I've used about 3 or 4 different guitars with different pickups on the amp and I think I still heard the popping.
gear

Epiphone SG-400
Agile AL-3100
Schecter Damien-7 (EMG 707 swap)
Peavey JSX Head
Peavey 412 Cab
Boss GT-10
Yamaha FG720S Acoustic
replace the preamp tubes. its really easy to do. it may just be one of them that is causing the problem, in which case you can usually figure out which one it is. turn on the amp with nothing plugged into it, turn the volume up to about your normal loudness, and GENTLY tap on each preamp tube with the end of a pencil. if you hear alot of noise coming through the speaker while tapping a tube, then that tube needs to be replaced. you may hear nothing, which doesnt necessarily mean that your tubes are fine. i hope this helps some.
you could always just buy one tube and keep putting it in different spots until the problem is alleviated.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
replace the preamp tubes. its really easy to do. it may just be one of them that is causing the problem, in which case you can usually figure out which one it is. turn on the amp with nothing plugged into it, turn the volume up to about your normal loudness, and GENTLY tap on each preamp tube with the end of a pencil. if you hear alot of noise coming through the speaker while tapping a tube, then that tube needs to be replaced. you may hear nothing, which doesnt necessarily mean that your tubes are fine. i hope this helps some.
you could always just buy one tube and keep putting it in different spots until the problem is alleviated.

+1

Had the same issue, replaced the preamps and issue fixed...