I am kinda stuck here, I've learned 2 whole songs and about 6 partial songs and I know the Am Pent. Scale and its 5 positions, I am trying to improvise over that scale but I can't is there some kind of tip that you guys can give me that might improve my improving? Are there other stuff that I should also learn? I am kinda tired of this scale going back and forth back and forth getting nowhere, I have lost some motivation...
keep on keepin on. maybe get a teacher. they will pick up on things you didn't notice and guide you in the right direction.
****, you're doing it all wrong. Why are you playing guitar if all you're going to do is sit there and do something you don't want to do? Play something fun. Learn scales if you want, to. All work and no play makes for a dull boy. And an idiot.
Tempus Edux Rerum Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Check out my band, Prosper! Prog/Metal/Core from Columbus, Ohio.
Learn a few chord inversions of several different chords here and there on the neck. Then, learn to play a progression using these inversions, such as I-IV-V or II-V-I. Then, instead of strumming these chords, just fret them but pick the various tones in the chords kind of at random. Poof, you are improvising. Make a few "mistakes" by changing one fret position on one of the chord tones, pick some pattern that hits that note, and suddenly you are improvising creatively!

Repeat the same progression in the same key but using different chord inversions, and you've improvised something entirely new and unique. Make different mistakes, and you're a creative genius.

Your best friend is an illustrated chord encyclopedia, like this one, and you have at least two lifetimes worth of stuff. Get a chord wheel to help you with chord progressions.

If that doesn't get you off the schneid, then you're just lazy!
well the thing is that chord progression and theory and all that stuff I don't really like, it's not fun. I'd rather just play anything at all and fool around with the guitar. I'm a bedroom guitarist you see just playing to kill time and have fun
Quote by LedZepFan2000
I am kinda stuck here, I've learned 2 whole songs and about 6 partial songs and I know the Am Pent. Scale and its 5 positions, I am trying to improvise over that scale but I can't is there some kind of tip that you guys can give me that might improve my improving? Are there other stuff that I should also learn? I am kinda tired of this scale going back and forth back and forth getting nowhere, I have lost some motivation...

You're trying to run before you can walk. Put improvising on the back burner for a while and concentrate on getting a feel for the instrument instead. Get learning songs like there's no tomorrow, expose (oo-er) yourself to different styles, different guitarists and differnt genres, learn and study a shedload of different solos along the way and then maybe think about improvising.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Play what you feel and learn what you want to learn. Personnally, I learned chords and some scales without even noticing, only by playing them in many songs that I learned. I also learn to use my ears to know if 2 chords fit together, depending on the rest of the song, each notes together, and everything.

The best way to keep motivated is to always learn more songs, and write some if you want. This way, you clearly see that you're improving, cause you can play new songs that you couldn't before. If you learn scales, and try improvising, it will take much more time for you to actually see that you're improving.

By the way, improvisation for music isn't really improvisation, cause you only play something, could be licks or riffs, that at least once in your life, you played/heard/practice and apply it to the key you are playing it. You can play it slower or faster, on higher or lower notes, it's still pretty much the same thing. So if you only know 2 songs and 6 partially, you don't know enough licks to really apply them to your improvising, so you just go up and down the scale, you get bored doing that, and it sounds only like a scale, not as a solo.

Also, you didn't learn the Am pentatonic scale ... in reallity, you learned ALL pentatonic minor scale. Just play the 1st pattern or position of the scale starting off on a G, or any other note, and there you go, it's the G minor pentatonic scale. So you could try improvising in different keys than A. You could also, for example, improvise with the scale of Gm, over a C chord progression. It would give a different feel to the same scale.

Lastly (that's a hell of a long post XD), experiment! Let you do some mistakes, try new things, and also, a good song isn't always one that has notes all the way through. You can stop playing for a beat or 2. Many guitarist tend to forget this (myself included).

Good luck and have fun
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
I'd put improv on the back burner for a while and focus on something else as not to burn you out.
Quote by Fatal Instinct
****, you're doing it all wrong. Why are you playing guitar if all you're going to do is sit there and do something you don't want to do? Play something fun. Learn scales if you want, to. All work and no play makes for a dull boy. And an idiot.

Obviously by the original post he wants to have a career in playing guitar
Someone who doesnt learn theory is just playing to learn a few tunes.
i wouldnt do that if i were you. improvising is always a great bit of fun at the end of a practice session. my tip, for what it is worth would be to find a lick you like from a solo you like and then just improvise over your backing tracks in the best way you can (assuming you know your pentatonic or major/minor scale etc)- it may sound crap and lacking in ideas but try to encorporate the lick you like. when you get good at sticking that in (and altering its phrasing) stick another one in - this i sa good way to build up your own lick library that.

Dont forget though that as your doing this you will also be "inventing" licks of your own as you improvise - giving you a good mix of your own licks and other peoples.

dont do this instead of learning chords and scales etc, but if the idea of playing guitar is too keep motivated and enjoying it then this is a great way to do it - just tag it on after you have done your other practice.
dont say im an idiot or anything because ive only been playing for 3 months
i have an idea but what exactly is Improvising???
Quote by daveswhippy
dont say im an idiot or anything because ive only been playing for 3 months
i have an idea but what exactly is Improvising???

making things up right on the spot. basically messing around in a scale so that it sounds good, and eventually it turns into a song if your good enough at it. pretty difficult when ur first starting but it gets easier.

TS: learn to read sheet music? thats always a good idea. its can be angering at times, but you will be much better without knowing it.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise