Hi everyone, first off i have a Fender American Standard HSS Stratocaster, and i use fender super bullets (light).

Anyways, i did a full tuning recently after breaking a few strings, and now when i do any sort of whammy bar movement the G string craps out and goes flat about a quarter note... Its not a big deal i guess, if i dont want to do any whammys at all.

So any help as to fixing this problem would be fantastic.
Thanks in advance!
Colour in the slots in the nut with a pencil, or rub the slots with wide dental floss. Reduces friction.
Possibly need to adjust the bridge?
Tempus Edux Rerum Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Check out my band, Prosper! Prog/Metal/Core from Columbus, Ohio.
us locking tuners, and buy a wilkinson bridge. the wilkinson will just drop right in, and there only about a hundred bucks. good luck
i thought the same thing at first, but i did adjust the bridge but the same outcome...

and "Meddled"... what in the world are you talking about??
Quote by rhoads91205
us locking tuners, and buy a wilkinson bridge. the wilkinson will just drop right in, and there only about a hundred bucks. good luck

actually thats not a bad idea, because i was planning on getting new pickups as well...
Quote by rhoads91205

locking tuners isn't the answer. even if you don't have locking tuners, on a quality trem you should not go out of tune a quarter step after using it once.
Quote by stratman91

the nut is the piece of plastic or other material that the strings rest in at the end of the neck. If you put graphite from a pencil or wax from dental floss in the slots it can help with the strings binding up in the slots.
Quote by stratman91

Reducing friction of strings over the nut duh.
did you get enough wraps around the pegs when you put the new strings on? you need at least three.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Meddled
Reducing friction of strings over the nut duh.

alright then... ill give anything a try at this point
Quote by dr_john
did you get enough wraps around the pegs when you put the new strings on? you need at least three.

Yes i did that...
Quote by stratman91
alright then... ill give anything a try at this point

But we only just met!
Quote by Meddled
But we only just met!

Ha
good one, but i meant anything that would fix my guitar...
Quote by GoDrex
the nut is the piece of plastic or other material that the strings rest in at the end of the neck. If you put graphite from a pencil or wax from dental floss in the slots it can help with the strings binding up in the slots.

ok now i get that part
thanks
Quote by stratman91
now when i do any sort of whammy bar movement

well there's your problem everyone knows you're not supposed to use the whammy on a strat. you can but the whole gfuitar goes out of tune. and when one stringgoes out of tune, all of them do.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
wth is a string tree?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
well there's your problem everyone knows you're not supposed to use the whammy on a strat. you can but the whole gfuitar goes out of tune. and when one stringgoes out of tune, all of them do.

followed by
Quote by apak
wth is a string tree?

Ok...

Opinion: VOID.

The string tree is that bit of metal on the headstock that holds the strings down to make the strings sit in the nut slots better. they would go pretty much flat over the nut on the higher strings if it wasn't there, which would kill sustain and tuning stability. Speaking of - did anyone even mention string trees in this thread before you did?

btw, the strat trem shouldn't detune THAT badly. I have a MIM that doesn't detune that often, and when it does, most people don't notice because its not really too bad.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 22, 2008,
Quote by dr_john

I usualy do 2 wraps on the heavier strings and 3 on the lighter ones, and I can go a week without going out of tune.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.