Well, my friend gave me free strings for my old guitar, because he didn't want them, also they are 16g-56g aka, i guess they work well with Btuning, which im fine with, only problem is, on the top of the neck, where the string fits in the little rest hole, it wont fit. is there a way to just make it alittle bigger so it will fit?
Get a very fine file (like a jewellers file) and file it down bit by bit. But be careful not to file down too much, and make sure you don't leave any jagged edges which could cause the strings to snap.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Get a very fine file (like a jewellers file) and file it down bit by bit. But be careful not to file down too much, and make sure you don't leave any jagged edges which could cause the strings to snap.

Yeah, i was thinking that but the only file i really would have at my house is probably one of those nail files..unless the bag my dad gave me before he died has a file in it, he was a artist that worked with wood.
go to the hardware store and get the finest sandpaper, and very lightly sand it down, try the string, and keep going till it just fits....and like mentioned above make sure its all smooth as to not fray your strings

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
also remember, once you do that, you cannot go back to a smaller gauge string...

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Table knife works just as well. Be careful to do it slowly.
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
Quote by Tyler Durden
also remember, once you do that, you cannot go back to a smaller gauge string...

yes you can.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Tyler Durden

I'd strongly consider this point. If it a type of gauge that you plan on moving that guitar to long term - mod away. If you are just doing it because you have a set of free strings, it might be more trouble than it is worth. Also, drastically different string gauges may impact how your guitar needs to be set up.
Quote by roguearthur
Yeah, i was thinking that but the only file i really would have at my house is probably one of those nail files..unless the bag my dad gave me before he died has a file in it, he was a artist that worked with wood.

do you mean the nut or the tuning peg?

don't use wood files on metal.. :O
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.