Hey guysssss, just got GCSE results, been posintg on that thread, but really what i would like is a little friendly advice.

Basicalyl i got a B for maths, was disapointed coz i knew i should have gotten an A because of the work i put in, but alas i didnt, not really sure where it went wrong really.

Anyways, ive chosen to taken it next year as A-lvl option, but getting the B has got me slightly worried about it, i mean, will it be possible for me to get a decent grade in Maths for AS, UG's mathematicians, i am pretty passionate about it, and will work hard, but i know that hard work can only take you so far...

So what do you think?

just to note hte other subjects im going to be doing are: Physics, Eng lit and RE for which i got A, A and A* respectively.
PSN: Noverion
I got an A* for maths GCSE, B for As and C for A2.

It's wasn't a matter of working- I did no work for GCSE, and tons for A level. It's just that it seems I'm not clever enough to learn maths beyond year 11 standard.

Hopefully you won't be the same as me.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Do it. My girlfriend failed her Maths Higher prelim, then got an A in the actual exam after months of effort. It can happen.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
do your best,

the other results are solid, if you **** up you can drop it or retake cant you?

if your doing physics you must be pretty competant, i got a B at GCSE and i couldnt do the As work, but i really struggle with maths so i cant say much other than good luck

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
ah thanks Monsiuer Tom, and eveyrone else, good advice, and yeah, if i **** it up after the first year i can just drop it, although i'd idealy like to take it all the way, something about Maths i find exciting, i just didnt really realise it until it was too late
GSCEs are easy, and don't usually require much work/effort, but A levels are a big step up from GCSE, as the work is much harder, more involved and requires much more time to get right/get a good understanding of it.
You'll be able to do Maths at A-level, I got a B but ****ed up cause I stopped goign to college, assuming you go you'll do fine
I got an A* at GCSE and a C at AS level so I dropped it for A2. I was probably the best student in the class though the rest got a mixture of Ds, Es and even Us.
Sounds like a bloody minefield

tbh i found the exam quite easy, I knew most of the stuff on the paper, i must have just made loads of stupid littel calculation mistakes which always seem to be my downfall
Quote by tyronelab
Did u do Additional Maths?

AS maths is completely different from normal GCSE maths.

just did normal maths, and yeah it looks different, i bought a book, for some light holiday reading and was like :O
well if you havent taken higher and additonal maths,

i'd say do something else,

a level is a huge jump, i got ten a* and a's at gcse and for As i struggled to get an A and 3 C's

its a huge jump, discuss it with the staff at your school and see how they feel you could cope with it, they should be able to be honest with you.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Badreligionrock
Do it. My girlfriend failed her Maths Higher prelim, then got an A in the actual exam after months of effort. It can happen.

Nice avatar!

On topic...I got a C for it, and I was about 2 marks off a B, and I probably didn't put in as much effort as I should have, but seriously man...if you want to do it then just go and do it...you'll do fine if you're willing to put effort in
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
It's hard to know. I did no work for it (5 hours revision for A2, probably less for AS) and got an A at A level. Some people worked heavily and got an A and some people worked reasonably hard and got Es and Us. I saw clever people who got A* at GCSE get Es and Us for As and quit. I'd say to go with the mentality that anything is possible and just think about it all logically. Maths is one of those things that you have to follow from the start and then once you know the basics, everything else branches off from that and is quite easy. You can derive everything later on from the stuff you learn first. Just also pay attention in class because working it through step-by-step is the best way. Don't get put off if you don't get anything straight away because I never got anything in mechanics and then I suddenly could understand it some months later.
Alevel maths is like totally different so its hard to say. As you're doing physics i suggest you do it tho as they come hand-in-hand imo.

Im now doing maths at uni and its another jump and the style of maths is totally different yet again!
Quote by Tom Horn
well if you havent taken higher and additonal maths,

i'd say do something else,

a level is a huge jump, i got ten a* and a's at gcse and for As i struggled to get an A and 3 C's

its a huge jump, discuss it with the staff at your school and see how they feel you could cope with it, they should be able to be honest with you.

I did discuss it with my teacher last year, he seemed pretty confident i would get an A though, but he said i could handle it. I did have a chat with a teacher though and the maths grades definately seemed to be lower than usual, we were doing a new gcse paper, guinea pigs if you will.

EDIT: Thanks to everyone whos taken there time to give me advice, its really helpful, and i definately feel like i know where i stand now more than i did.
Last edited by Noverion at Aug 21, 2008,
for AS you shouldn't have a problem, A2 gets a bit more complicated but just because you only got a B doesn't necessarily mean you'll be any worse at new stuff than people with higher marks. it's whether you enjoy the material or not.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
As it's been said, A level is completely different to GCSE. I got an A and an A* in Maths GCSE (did a pilot exam and actually got given a GCSE for it) and so far in my A level maths I'm on a C.

That doesn't mean you need to be amazing to do well in A level maths, they're just completely different.
Quote by Mask_of_Terror
Alevel maths is like totally different so its hard to say. As you're doing physics i suggest you do it tho as they come hand-in-hand imo.

Im now doing maths at uni and its another jump and the style of maths is totally different yet again!

A level maths is NOT totally different. People always go into the A levels thinking it's going to be harder and this makes it harder for them. It's basically the same as GCSE but you just learn about different stuff. Don't be off-put by everyone saying it's harder because it's not.
well yeah i heard its funny for you now, it'll be different with your As's as well, i say give it a shot, at october half term you can always mix and match couldnt you?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
You will be able to do AS maths as long as you put in enough work, which means asking for extra help as well as doing whatever studying you would normally do. While AS Maths may seem much harder to begin with, it's only because you also learn a lot of completely new stuff, as opposed to purely building on whatever you did the last year, and this is why extra help is much more efficient than simply trying to cram it all in on your own.
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
Ignore the person who said that they got all A*s and ended up with a C. He must have done absolutely nothing for it.

I know some people who got A or B in GCSE and they ended up with a B at A level. If you put the work in then no reason u can't do reasonably well.

Give it a try. Sometimes it's the people who do well in GCSE who get cocky and do no work. Thats why I think my chemistry teacher gave me a hard time in AS level. He thought I was being cocky (and pretty much told me as much) but once he found out I was doing work and was fine for marks, he and I got along fine.
Quote by tyronelab
Ignore the person who said that they got all A*s and ended up with a C. He must have done absolutely nothing for it.

I know some people who got A or B in GCSE and they ended up with a B at A level. If you put the work in then no reason u can't do reasonably well.

Give it a try. Sometimes it's the people who do well in GCSE who get cocky and do no work. Thats why I think my chemistry teacher gave me a hard time in AS level. He thought I was being cocky (and pretty much told me as much) but once he found out I was doing work and was fine for marks, he and I got along fine.

actually i took subjects that i didnt not want to take but had to because of the way the option blcoks worked out, i struggled due to several different personal reasons as well as having appaling teaching staff, and piss poor organisation on behalf of the exam board, i had 7 hours of exams per day, it was ****ing mental.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom Horn

actually i took subjects that i didnt not want to take but had to because of the way the option blcoks worked out, i struggled due to several different personal reasons as well as having appaling teaching staff, and piss poor organisation on behalf of the exam board, i had 7 hours of exams per day, it was ****ing mental.

7 hours per day?

thats bloody ridiculous, its stupid how these things work out sometimes, one of the days for my gcses i had about 5-6hours with only about 30 mins of break overall
yeah, i had my all my english lit and secong part of my music tech on the same day, a week before we got study leave... then i had all my media and both parts of my history in one day

it was bollocks lol

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom Horn

Sorry I made presumptions but didn't want to worry this guy that even a straight A student couldn't do it. Those hours are ridiculous that you got. Thought there wasn't that many exams in a day even.
oh no worries mate people make mistakes lol

yeah, it was a bit of a bitch lol

i'd come out of a bout of depression to find out that was my time table lol needless to say it didnt help. i got an A in my media, buti think if it was an afternnon slot it would be a different story lol

i think i had 7 hours one day and then 7 and half, thats not including general studies which was a day of about 4 hours lol but they dont really mean **** lol

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Do it!

It is different and when you first look at C1 you'll brain will probably have a fit, but thats what your teachers are for, to help you out.
I got an A at GCSE and an A in statistics, at AS-level I came out with an A in maths and then B in further maths.
I got the B because I got a D in the Decision 1 module. That was a type of maths I really couldn't understand or do. It was completely different from algebra, which was probably why I did so rubbish in it.

If you work hard at it, by the end of the year you're more likely to make a mistake like 3*1=1 (my boyfriend did that on the board in class, we all had a right laugh because he was so sure he was right) than not be able to do the question.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.