Rush
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
you won't be in the spot light most of the time and you have to get used to that. you have to know when to go all out and when to sit back and lay down a simple bass line.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
know the notes of the fretboard.
know how to play with a drummer.
know how to practice with a metronome.
know how to play for the song, not yourself.
know at least a basic amount of theory.
^^not necessarily helpful.
Quote by the humanity

think pokemon
Pete Wentz sig reaches level 32, it evolves into Mark Hoppus bass.
Mark Hoppus bass uses tone knob!
it's super unneffective!
Quote by SoftParade1967
Rush

Amen brother.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Quote by SHEEM
Anarkee.

Who?

TS - anything that makes you a better bass player, and musician in general.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by N0ob Saib0t
what should i DEFINATELY know if i want to be a good bassist?

Practise, Practise, Practise, see other people play, feel like you suck, Practise, Practise

You will never be a "good bass player" at least not in your own eyes. There will always be something that you want to be better at.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Nutter_101
Who?

TS - anything that makes you a better bass player, and musician in general.

You're just upset about the Cornwall comment. OK, you and Boyce are the exception to Cornwall natives not being able to play bass.

And to the TS, Nutter is right. The more you learn about your instrument and music in general is going to make you a better bassist. Don't skip your basics and always fight to get out of your comfort zone in playing, are the only other two bits of advice I'll give.
Know yourself and your instrument.
Know how to listen and feel the pulse of music.
Know how to lay down a groove and to play in the pocket.
Know your role in the band. You are the fondation of the music (along with drums) the rest of the band bulids on/off of.
Don't let a wrong note steal away the joy of music. A right note is only a half-step or two away.

Most of all enjoy it. (^_^)
how to play a bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
when to play. example: chris w. of muse, some very upfront crazy lines, but usually an amazingly solid backing to matt's voice.

or say **** that and pull a JFK.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
Practise makes prefect? you can know everything thier is to know about musictheory, bass playing but with no practise you won't be good no matter how much you know!
Quote by goest
Maiden

That's more if you DEFIANTLY want to be Steve Harris
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
That's more if you DEFIANTLY want to be Steve Harris

True, but the first song my teacher had me learn was Hallowed be thy Name. It built up my speed and endurance, so Maiden will always have a special spot in the bass section of my heart.
Quote by goest
True, but the first song my teacher had me learn was Hallowed be thy Name. It built up my speed and endurance, so Maiden will always have a special spot in the bass section of my heart.

Hah, the first song I learned on my bass, well... Besides Sweet Child O` Mine, was Run to the Hills.
Dang, that was hard. But the song that totally shot me up there was Aces High.
The moment I learned that song I could play just about anything.
Quote by SoftParade1967
Rush

Thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard, you should never rush into playing. Just take your time and learn the major and minor scale. Also learn every note on the fretboard especially all the ones above the 5th fret and on the E and A string.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by Phishead42
Thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard, you should never rush into playing. Just take your time and learn the major and minor scale. Also learn every note on the fretboard especially all the ones above the 5th fret and on the E and A string.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that he meant the band Rush.
Quote by Phishead42

you are a silly man.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

you should know where the pocket is and how to stay in it and still put your own signature on whatever you play
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Surprised no one has said it yet but what makes a good/great bassist IMO is his or her ability to improvise off of the guitarist chords (or keyboard player if you like) and really make **** interesting instead of playing just root notes. Root notes are evil, I want to rape and kill 30 root notes bassists and send their dead bodies to Jack Bruce every moring for breakfast as a thank you gift for the entire Cream back catalog.
Quote by Randy Bobandy
Surprised no one has said it yet but what makes a good/great bassist IMO is his or her ability to improvise off of the guitarist chords (or keyboard player if you like) and really make **** interesting instead of playing just root notes. Root notes are evil, I want to rape and kill 30 root notes bassists and send their dead bodies to Jack Bruce every moring for breakfast as a thank you gift for the entire Cream back catalog.

I love you.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Phishead42

I'm pretty sure he meant the trinity of gods known as Rush.

You should know atleast basic theory, have a good sense of rhythm, be able to play different styles and be able to play CLEANLY at a reasonable speed. There is probably other things I didn't mention but those are all pretty important.