Hey guys

I own an Epiphone SG which I got in December as a first guitar.

The other night my high E snapped whilst jamming. The strings generally are quite worn and I was in line for a new set anyway. But my question is which gauge and manufacturer to go for when I head off to the music store tomorrow to buy a new set?

I play blues.

Thanks for any help
Quote by mcumcu
Hey guys

I own an Epiphone SG which I got in December as a first guitar.

The other night my high E snapped whilst jamming. The strings generally are quite worn and I was in line for a new set anyway. But my question is which gauge and manufacturer to go for when I head off to the music store tomorrow to buy a new set?

I play blues.

Thanks for any help

I'd probaly go for 9s, they're the 'average' gauge you could say and my favourite personally. I'd personally suggest Rotosounds, they do a 9 gauge which are called, Roto-pinks. Strings are all about personal preference tbh, just keep buying different brands until you find one you like. Also, take a look at D'addarios.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
It's all about feel and many different guys use different thicknesses. I shift back and forth between .10s and .11s on my guitars, depending what I feel like. On one end of the spectrum, someone like Clapton uses thinner strings, whereas Stevie Ray Vaughan uses much thicker strings.

For a blues player with an SG I would take .10s.
generally heavier gages last longer and sound "better"; with an sg scale length you should be able to at least handle 10's. try some nickel-plated steels or pure nickel wound.
'59 Bassman Reissue
Custom Strat
Custom McCarty
Custom OM
Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Wah
i use d'addarios .10's on my epiphone sg
Quote by output24
Haha, owned!
U win fender.

Quote by wiggy1988
teacher- Some slave owners would fight duels using their slaves
Me- So, sort of like Pokemon with people..Black man, I choose you!
I have 11s on my strat and 10's on my PRS. Thicker strings generally sound " better" but it's really all preference.

I use Ernie Ball slinky and Dean Markley Hendrix strings.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
What's the difference between nickel wound, pure nickel and stainless steel in terms of sound?
Quote by mcumcu
What's the difference between nickel wound, pure nickel and stainless steel in terms of sound?

I've never used stainless steel strings....

but pure nickel is brighter than nickel wound and plain steel.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712