I'm not in the market for a bass right at this moment, as I have my new amp to come first, and then I'm gonna save up for a Corvette, but I'm thinking about getting a bass to use for all my picking work (if you could call it that). I've tried playing a Corvette with a plectrum, but it wasn't quite the right sound I was trying to achieve. The tone I'm trying to get is sort of a John Campbell ish tone, like the sort he had at Download 07. I know that his rig would consist of a large part of it, but I wanna know what bass would be a good place to start.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Well John uses Jackson basses, have you looked into them?
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
I could be wrong. But I always see him wearing Jackson shirts. And I do believe his main bass is a Jackson.
EDIT: ^Alright.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Yeah im pretty sure hes using peavey. And a sansamp
. . .

WOW SH*T

My Axe: WarwickThumb
John uses both Jackson and Peavey.

There is a Jackson CMG Concert bass down at my local shop (in sunburst ) I've played it finger style for five minutes or so but I haven't had that much time to try it out properly.

I'm not a big fan of Peavey basses, and it's Jackson type tone he had at Download I'm going for (at least I think he played a Jackson).

edit: Damn I'm slow today.
Quote by skater dan0
I don't think you need a bass for specificly for picking, I think you just need to screw around with your EQ more.
^ Then you shouyld probably get a Jackson. DON'T GET A FRETLESS.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
ESPs seem to be a pick-player's choice...although most of them are in metal bands.
Is it just me or does anyone else know that John has a signature Jackson bass? I was just browsing the Jackson site and I found it, it wasn't there last time I was on.
Quote by skater dan0
I dont think a different bass with help you with picking but try adjusting your EQ settings or maybe try different picks.
Starting bass or just looking for a new one? Here's a suggestion: Go to your local music store and try some out.
P bass!!
P stands for pick ,punchy and perfection
also a nice pick helps to the sound. light picks have a really nice clear tone IMO
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
I'm with the crowd suggesting a P bass. Ricks also have a bloody great, snarly tone with a pick.

But unfortunately they also have a bloody great price tag, and in the UK I find them nigh on impossible to get hold of.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.