I'm not sure exactly which forum this would go in, but since there's no electric violin forum, this is probably most appropriate.

I was wondering whether it might be possible to run an electric violin through a guitar amplifier, or if anyone has any experience with this. As far as I can tell, there doesn't appear to be such thing as a "violin amplifier", but I'd like to know before I blow up my amp/buy an electric violin I can't use.

in case anyone is interested, my interest in this stems from a sudden urge to play jazz/folk style violin (as in "hurricane" by bob dylan). Partly because i'm bored of all my current instruments, partly because i like the sound, and mostly because it's a cheap and portable instrument.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Im sure its possible, as the pickup is a piezo i think, like in an acoustic guitar, and shouldnt kill your amp for any reason.
Quote by qotsa1998
Im sure its possible, as the pickup is a piezo i think, like in an acoustic guitar, and shouldnt kill your amp for any reason.

ok, thanks for the help.

Funny old world eh.
there is no problem with using it in a guitar amp. it shouldnt hurt anything.
i would think that running into a pa would sound best though.
oh and learning to even get a good tone out of a violin takes quite some time. i hope your very dedicated.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
oh and learning to even get a good tone out of a violin takes quite some time. i hope your very dedicated.

i've heard this from a few people, all of them probably right. i don't know if i'm going to attempt to play it to a virtuoso level, but i'm pretty sure i will feel very empty inside until i get to the point where I can make a passable sound out of it. Admittedly I have very limited experience with bowed instruments (i've tried a double bass a few times), but the challenge is part of what's attracting me to this in the first place.

Funny old world eh.
It takes years and years of hard work to get a good tone out of an acoustic violin. An electric on the other hand, its not so hard. Thats why so many acoustic violinists frown apon electrics. If you wanna play electric though, dont let the "purists" get to you. I personally, want to learn to get a good sound out of my acoustic before I even touch an electric.

By the way. Keyboard amps are good too. They're pretty much good for anything. Also I think alot of electric violinists use guitar amps AND pedals. You can get some neat sound. A violin with wah can be cool.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"