Ever since I modded my amp, I've had all of these ideas for different projects that I want to do eventually. My first project is building an exact copy of a Gibson Les Paul Standard but I don't really know where to get started.

1. My main question is wether I should start right away on the Les Paul (which I want to be a good quality guitar) or do something simpler like a Strat just to get some experience.
2. My dad has a band saw and a drill press and some other basic woodworking tools, but I was wondering what (if any) other tools I would need.
3. Is stewmac the best place to get the supplies I need? I've looked at warmoth and mojo musical supply and they don't have as big of a selection.

Thanks for the help. I had other questions but I can't remember them right now.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb Combo
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
bump
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Don't bump after 15 minutes eh!

This has been covered a load of times, so search for it and you'll probably get your answer straight away, other than that, when the people who can help you log on, they'll help you - but they don't spend every minute of every day on here!

Edit: - a quick look using the search bar has revealed the following that might be useful

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=903471

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921010
Last edited by mark_wuk at Aug 22, 2008,
Quote by mark_wuk
Don't bump after 15 minutes eh!

This has been covered a load of times, so search for it and you'll probably get your answer straight away, other than that, when the people who can help you log on, they'll help you - but they don't spend every minute of every day on here!

Edit: - a quick look using the search bar has revealed the following that might be useful

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=903471

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921010

Actually it was 12 hours and 15 minutes. Sorry I couldn't find anything on the searchbar.
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Can anyone answer my first question? I think I have pretty much all of those tools except an orbital sander. Do I really need one?

How do you do inlays? Do you use a router to make the hole or do you use a chisel? I want to make an inlay with my name on it but how would I cut out the pearl or whatever I end up using?

One of my biggest issues is gonna be finishing the guitar. So far I haven't been able to find anyone who does that. How hard is it do a burst finish?
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
I've been looking at body blanks and I've noticed that some are 1 piece and some are multiple pieces glued together. Which is better?

That's the guitar I'm trying to build. I found maple top pieces on StewMac but I think the grain is going the wrong way. Are all of the pieces like that? Where can I find maple tops?

Here's the StewMac ones: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,_wood/Electric_guitar:_Bodies/1/Solidbody_Top_Wood/Pictures.html#details
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
For aesthetic purposes you may or may not want to make it one piece. Sure, the grain will go across perfectly, but if it's one piece, the bond might not be as strong as if it were glued and one piece of wood is prone to warpage over time. Two pieces of wood, on the other hand, will practically never warp and the glue bond is sometimes stronger than just one piece.

Also, sound resonates better through one piece of wood, providing more sustain (or so I would imagine). If you can get the grain of the two pieces to match up really well, though, all the better for two pieces.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
you've got a lot of researching to do before you build a guitar dude...

projectguitar.com

buildyourguitar.com

guitarbuild.com

good luck
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
I got a couple books about building guitars and I've learned a lot. Before I build the Les Paul, I want to build an SG. It would be cheaper and easier since it doesn't have a laminate top or as much binding.
The question I have though is how do the wires get to the pickups? Do I have to drill a hole through the middle of the wood? How do I go about doing that?
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
the pickups come with wires sticking out of them, and you have to drill from the pickup cavity to the wiring cavity, yes. You just take a drill and drill through. It sounds a lot more complicated then it is. You just have to make sure that you either have a bit long enough, or can fit the bit to a small peice of dole rod to make it longer.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
I found body blacks for a pretty good price.
http://www.doeringerguitars.com/servlet/the-545/Mahogany-Body-Blank-Back/Detail
It says it's only one inch thick though. Is that thick enough for an SG? I searched on google but I couldn't find anything. Also, in the picture there seems to be a pretty big gap in between the pieces. Is that normal?
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
1" thick is tiny, I think SG's atleast 1 1/2.

That is an decent price, but if you headed down to a lumber yard you could find a big enough piece for the same amount.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Quote by WH15P3R
1" thick is tiny, I think SG's atleast 1 1/2.

That is an decent price, but if you headed down to a lumber yard you could find a big enough piece for the same amount.

What about drying the wood though? I think the wood is usually good and dry when you order it from a place like that but what about from a lumberyard? Would the wood be the same grade?
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Quote by dlabooda
What about drying the wood though? I think the wood is usually good and dry when you order it from a place like that but what about from a lumberyard? Would the wood be the same grade?

The wood will be dry you will have to glue it up though. If anything it will be better than that. The maple you were looking for is flamed maple. You need an orbital sander the 3 tools I use most in my guitar builds are abandsaw, orbital sander, and a router.
I'm in the process of figuring out what parts I'm gonna need and most of the supplies will be coming from StewMac. I'm getting the pre slotted 24.75 scale fretboard with a 12 inch radius but the pre slotted nut has a 16 inch radius. Will that work?
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Ok, I would have liked to get started on the build by now but I figured out that I can do this for my high school graduation project so I'm waiting to get some information on that first.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what pickups I'm gonna use. I'm planning on using the pickups that are in the SG Standard which are a 490R in the neck and a 498T in the bridge. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm looking for something that will sound different than the active EMG's in my Schecter.
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Might want to start with a bolt neck to get some experience. Doing inlays is not easy to do if you havent done anything like this previously or at least for em to look good first time around. Sounds like you are starting at square one. So start small. A set neck with laminate top, binding, and inlay work is a big step.
Quote by Raijouta
For aesthetic purposes you may or may not want to make it one piece. Sure, the grain will go across perfectly, but if it's one piece, the bond might not be as strong as if it were glued and one piece of wood is prone to warpage over time. Two pieces of wood, on the other hand, will practically never warp and the glue bond is sometimes stronger than just one piece.

Also, sound resonates better through one piece of wood, providing more sustain (or so I would imagine). If you can get the grain of the two pieces to match up really well, though, all the better for two pieces.

And if you want the look of a one piece body you can always veneer.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I got a $25 gift certificate from Guitar Center so I decided to buy a couple parts. I got a Grover nut I'm pretty sure it's the right size because I held it up to the one on the Gibson. It was only 79 cents so I don't know if it's the best quality though. I also got Gibson tuners but I figured our they're actually made by Grover.
It may be a stupid question but on the bottom of the tuners, the side that goes against the guitar, there is a little number, three of them have the number 1 and three have the number 2. What does that mean? I could try and get a picture if that would help.
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Just a guess but it could mean what side the tuners go on if it's 3 a side.
Like 1 is on the left and 2 is on the right maybe?

Also, Grovers are good quality tuners so I wouldn't worry about it
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
btw, sg's are about 1 1/4 inch thick. at least mine is.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
I've been looking at a few build threads and it seems like people aren't big fans of the StewMac truss rods. Is there a better place to get them? Are there any other things that I should stay away from when I order from them?
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Quote by dlabooda
I've been looking at a few build threads and it seems like people aren't big fans of the StewMac truss rods. Is there a better place to get them? Are there any other things that I should stay away from when I order from them?

I would try lmi see what they have. I only use stew ma truss rods because that's what I'm used too. I haven't bought from lmi but it seems that they have better prices but not as big of a selection to choose from. Other than prices I don't think there's anything else to stay away from.
^ Have you had any issues with the stew mac truss rods?

How are the Doeringer truss rods? Does anyone have any suggestions for pickups, or are the 490r and 498t the best choice?
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
anyone?
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
doeringer. by a mile and a half. the stew-mac rods are s*** and overpriced.
for pups, u could do the 498/490 (personally i really like the 490's in my SG), but look at some other brands (i.e. duncan and dimarzio)
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
I'm still waiting for the ok to start my build but in the meantime I've been buying a few more parts. Today I received a Gibson TOM and a Gibson 490r.

You can see that the pickup has a circuit board connecter on it. Has anyone seen something like that before? I guess I'll have to buy a matching circuit board control harness.
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
^ Maybe that is so they are compatible with the robot guitars?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Couldn't you just clip off the connector so you could solder it like a normal pup?
Quote by Øttər
^ Maybe that is so they are compatible with the robot guitars?

I did some more research and I found out that the new SGs have circuit boards installed but I have no idea where to get one like that. Any ideas? I could clip the connecter off but would the wire be long enough then?
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
My SG doesn't... it is from 2008! I don't think it does anyway... it had better not, I'll rip that ****er out! I don't need no fancy circuit board!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.