Hi. I've been playing guitar for about a year and a half now and i really like it. Im looking for an upgrade from my old little practice amp that sounds like crap. I play a lot of Metallica stuff, some AC/DC and Guns N' Roses, stuff like that really. I do play with a bassist sometimes, so i guess the amp has to be pretty loud, and i will be playing with a drummer (once me and the bassist find one). Any opinions for a new amp for me would be great.
Quote by Shred-Hed
At least 65 watts with lots of gain.

wtf, he could EASILY get by with 30
Quote by Shred-Hed
At least 65 watts with lots of gain.

Well if he's buying a tube amp, which he should, he doesn't need 65 watts.

And if you have a low budget, I know Peavey and Blackheart have good tube amps for low prices.
Now do you believe in rock and roll?

Can music save your mortal soul?
Laney VC30, Peavey Valveking or Peavey Classic 30 with an OD
ohai little sig.
Quote by ¤TabMaster¤
Nothin under $450 (USA Currency.)

Under or over?
Quote by ¤TabMaster¤
Nothin under $450 (USA Currency.)

lmao, i wouldnt spend that much after only a year and a half.
Quote by mcrfobtai
Classic 30 or VC30 if you live in the UK

he said U.S Currency, the answers will always be the same, used classic 30, valvetronics and cubes, just go to a local store and try some out, see what your ear likes
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Quote by (Metal)lica
he said U.S Currency, the answers will always be the same, used classic 30, valvetronics and cubes, just go to a local store and try some out, see what your ear likes

oops

I feel dumb
OK, what major US city are you near?

Edit: Yes, (Referring to VK link above) a lot of us have used it, a lot of us have it. That's another whole Oprah show.
I like my VK, but alot of UGers will tell you it sucks.

Of course, I have to like it given that I bought it for $718 (damn Jamaica ) and I don't have access to a good alternative, but it genuinely sounds good to me.

You should try it before you buy it, I think - if you're gonna play metal you'll need an overdrive pedal or alot of tweaking the settings on it to get a good metal tone.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
blackheart little giant w/ bad monkey OD pedal.

check my profile for sound clips. it's loud enough to jam w/ a drummer and bassist.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
I would save up more, and play for a little longer. Its not a matter of whether you're planning to play guitar for a long time or not, its more the situation that you most likely do not know what sounds good or what you're looking for.

Play another few years or so, save up another $200 or so, get a decent mid range amp.