Poll: do you consider an average american to be reasonably intelligent?
Poll Options
View poll results: do you consider an average american to be reasonably intelligent?
yes
20 36%
no
24 44%
maybe
11 20%
Voters: 55.
when you picture an average american in your mind, do you picture that person with a reasonable amount of intelligence? i'm not talking about someone who's a rocket scientist or went to yale, but do you consider an average american to be fairly intelligent?

to be brutally honest, i don't really. (i'm an american btw).
Quote by TheRomantics
If you don't, than you're most likely a prejudice asshole.

i don't think it has anything to do with being prejudice, more of what you consider an average american to be.
Quote by Vermintide
No.

But I don't consider the average HUMAN to be very smart, so it isn't just the Yanks.

In that case, isn't stupid average?
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
It's worrying to think that fully half the population is dumber than the average person.

RIP George Carlin.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
Quote by Vermintide
No.

But I don't consider the average HUMAN to be very smart, so it isn't just the Yanks.

I would agree with that, but I just realized that when I think about human, I think about americans because al lthe stuff we hear if about them....

Yea sometimes there's stupid things happenning in asia and all but, You know, americans made the internet, they are very advertising and publicating stuff people so >_> anyway I hope you see what I mean.
Considering in this country you need to be 17 to drop out of school which is about your jr. year of high school unless you flunked, or started late/early id say yes the average american is intelligent.
You learn alot being school for about 10 years.
Quote by plucky duck
In that case, isn't stupid average?

If you're trying to be a smartass, it didn't work, because that's pretty much exactly what I was implying
Capable of being intelligent? For the most part, yes.

Educated about what is going on in the world (ie: world events, world problems/crisis)? For the most part, absolutely not.

The problem? People don't READ anymore.
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
Quote by scguitarking927
I'm american and I think most americans are complete idiots.

Those statements come from teenagers who think thw whole of America is responsible for their governement's stupid decisions.
Reasonably intelligent .
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
BlackZeppelin is like Ghandi. With a bigger sense of humor.
it's the silence between the notes that makes the music.
Quote by MrMojoRisin'
Those statements come from teenagers who think thw whole of America is responsible for their governement's stupid decisions.

indeed. I think of them being reasonably smart
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by ToastYerLicks

Educated about what is going on in the world (ie: world events, world problems/crisis)? For the most part, absolutely not.

I bet you can't read.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
Quote by the_man101
Considering in this country you need to be 17 to drop out of school which is about your jr. year of high school unless you flunked, or started late/early id say yes the average american is intelligent.

did u see the video? chances are if your dropping out of high school you didn't pay attention half of those 10 years. I think no matter where you go you are going to have stupid people but thankfully i can say I am not one of those people.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
I can't help but get the feeling that some of you get the following thought:
"Well, i've obviously just seen an ignorant american. They must all be like that!" Is it just me?
Quote by MrMojoRisin'

Watch that video i posted in my last post, and you will see what an average intelligence level of an american is. It is very sad.
Quote by ToastYerLicks

I really don't want to read about depressing crap that I have no influence to change. I'm not American though. If it directly affects me I'll take an interest but otherwise, why should I worry about it unless I have the ability to change it. I'll only read about things I have the ability to change or use. This is why any 'news' I read will mostly be about science, especially medicine.

My knowledge about Georgia etc does not correlate with my intelligence.
You can find your share of smart people and complete idiots anywhere you go, any country. I think that Americans will get dumber bucause out public school system is messed up. In order to pass more kids, we lower the standards. We need more teachers, so they're lowering the standards for teachers. All of this combinded with the absoulutly brilliant (note sarcasm) idea of "No Child Left Behind", and you end up with a country that allows mediocre teachers to educate people.

We're screwed.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
scguitarking927, thats the exact thing I would have posted if I had thought of it.

Quote by the_man101

^The problem there is that you can coast through school here getting by with Cs and literally learn NOTHING. I mean I know people out of college dumber than bricks.

The American education system is very weak in comparison to a lot of other places. My brother knew how to do a square root by HAND in 6th grade in Serbia... I didn't even know that was possible for gods sake. I think I was still doing multiplication tables at that point.

Furthermore, nobody cares about being a useful citizen of the WORLD. They don't care to think beyond the borders of the U.S. because they are too ignorant to see how world events do in fact shape their own lives. Sometimes they're too stupid to think beyond borders of their city even. (Plenty of people don't even name 5 other cities in their state).
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
Last edited by tasty licks at Aug 21, 2008,
Quote by scguitarking927
Watch that video i posted in my last post, and you will see what an average intelligence level of an american is. It is very sad.

Tell me why the video has CNNN.. And Read the bottom (the ticker).. Next time just shut the **** up.
Thats not to say that there aren't very smart people out there (anyone watch cash cab? some of those people seem very informed about everything), or VERY VERY DUMB ONES:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XkgOdb8tdA&feature=related

Anyone that makes Sean Hannity look good... lol
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
Quote by Filter
Tell me why the video has CNNN.. And Read the bottom (the ticker).. Next time just shut the **** up.

Its a damn TV show, where they went out and did that. I realize its not CNN, its a joke TV show, but those interviews are real. They are making fun of how stupid people are.