Hello, I am reading through a piece of audition music for my schools jazz band. I have come across a few chords I don't know and I would really appreciate it if you could give me some fingerings for them and an explanation of how they work.

F/A
Bb/C
Bb/F
G+7
G+7(#9) .....this one is especially tough to find any information on, and does the parentheses have any significance?

C+7 (#9)

as you can tell I do not know much about split chords and I have never come across an augmented seventh sharp 9 chord before.
F/A = F major with an A note in the bass
Bb/C = Bb Major with a C note in the bass
Bb/F = Bb major with an F note in the bass
G+7 = I'm not sure what the plus stands for, but I'm assuming it means major 7. So, GMaj7
G+7(#9) = Again, not sure about the plus, GMaj7(#9). #9 means you add a raised ninth, so it's a Gmaj7 with an A# on top.

I hope that looks right.
F/A = you play an F chord with an A in the bass, and the same thing goes for all the other chords notated in that fashion. G + 7 (#9) means you play a G7, but sharp the 5 and add sharpened nine as well. Parentheses can mean you can leave the 9 out if you wish.
12 fret fury
F/A Bb/C Bb/F G+7 G+7(#9) C+7(#9)
-1----1----1----3-----11-----4-
-1----3----3----4-----11-----4-
-2----3----3----4-----10-----3-
-3----3----3----3-----9------2-
-0----3----1----x-----10-----3-
-----------1----3--------------

Thought I'd add that this is how I'd play these chords. The others explained the theory behind them.
G+7 = I'm not sure what the plus stands for, but I'm assuming it means major 7. So, GMaj7
G+7(#9) = Again, not sure about the plus, GMaj7(#9). #9 means you add a raised ninth, so it's a Gmaj7 with an A# on top.

I would interpret them as G augmented dominant 7th (1-3-#5-b7) (for lack of a shorter term) and Galt (1-3-#5-b7-#9), respectively.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
I would interpret them as G augmented dominant 7th (1-3-#5-b7) (for lack of a shorter term) and Galt (1-3-#5-b7-#9), respectively.

Agreed. Generally the "+" means augmented, a major 7 would be indicated by a delta symbol.
Quote by *Nirvana*
Hello, I am reading through a piece of audition music for my schools jazz band. I have come across a few chords I don't know and I would really appreciate it if you could give me some fingerings for them and an explanation of how they work.

F/A
Bb/C
Bb/F
G+7
G+7(#9) .....this one is especially tough to find any information on, and does the parentheses have any significance?

C+7 (#9)

as you can tell I do not know much about split chords and I have never come across an augmented seventh sharp 9 chord before.
The meaning of slash chords has already been explained, so I'll throw this in. As a guitarist, slash chords are not a concern, as the bass note will be covered by the bassist(no wai!). So F/A, Bb/C, and Bb/F you can regard simply as F, Bb, and Bb respectively as the guitarist. Of course, if you're doing a solo performance, or anything in which there is no bassist and you're holding down the fort(just you accompanying a singer or something) then obviously the bass notes become important.

+7 is a dominant seventh chord with a #5 or an augmented triad with a minor 7th, however you want to see it.

+7#9 is the same thing...but with a #9 of course.
F/A   Bb/C  Bb/F  G+7  G+7#9  C+7#9
  x    x     x     x     x      x
  1    3     3     3     11     4
  2    3     3     4     10     3 
 3     3     3     3     9      2
 0     3     x     5     11     3
  x    x     1     3      x     x

I dont think the + in the chord means anything, because you cant add a seven without it becoming a regular dom7 chord.
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
Last edited by Your_Dad at Aug 22, 2008,
+ is usually, in my experience, an aug. the slash chords are just chord/bassnote...just like a D/F# (common one) is just a D chord with the F# on the bottom. and there is no right fingering for them, there are millions of differnt ways.

and remember, just cause it says Bb/C, the only real notes you need in there are D, C, and, if your in jazz tune, whatever the seventh happens to be. if no seven add 11s and 13s.

Cheers.