I've noticed that there is a bunch of brown gunk on the underside of my strings, which i assume is dirt, grime and/or rust. How do i get rid of that gunk without having to constantly wipe it off with a cloth and why does it form?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
the gunk is a collection of dirt, sweat and skin from your fingers. the best thing to do is to just buy a new set of strings but if you want them to last you can take them off and boil them. that'll take all the crap off of them
i dont know how it forms, but you need like reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeealy fine sand paper to wrap around the strings and sand
Quote by david9d5
i dont know how it forms, but you need like reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeealy fine sand paper to wrap around the strings and sand

Dont do this, either boil them, or buy new strings if its effecting your tone.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
meh new strings once it forms. it's gonna keep coming back otherwise. i recommend a new brand. try rusting strings like ernie ball. some strings rust rather than form gunk. rusting strings usually last longer if you tkae care of them. every time you play wash your hands. after you finish, wipe down the strings with string cleaner and/or microfiber cloth.
and gunk is normal. it just means you're a freak and have abnormal and retarded sweat. it's okay, a lot of people are freaks.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Ive never had this stuff build up on my strings, what I do is every once in a while (couple times a week) is just run my finger down the under side of each string from nut to pickup-ish area. You can see a grey substance every once in a while come off on you your finger. Sometimes even pieces of skin. its kinda gross but better that nasty ass rust/grime.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by apak
meh new strings once it forms. it's gonna keep coming back otherwise. i recommend a new brand. try rusting strings like ernie ball. some strings rust rather than form gunk. rusting strings usually last longer if you tkae care of them. every time you play wash your hands. after you finish, wipe down the strings with string cleaner and/or microfiber cloth.
and gunk is normal. it just means you're a freak and have abnormal and retarded sweat. it's okay, a lot of people are freaks.

I use ernie ball strings already...The gunk did seem a reddish brown colour, i guess it was rust...
Is a normal hankerchief type cloth good for wiping the strings down or should i go with something different?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
I take a q-tip and run it along the underside of the string. It takes a lot of them, but it works for me.
Quote by hell_monkey
I use ernie ball strings already...The gunk did seem a reddish brown colour, i guess it was rust...
Is a normal hankerchief type cloth good for wiping the strings down or should i go with something different?

wow. i think you can wipe it down with pretty much anytthing as long as it absorbs the sweat and such. try that and if it still gets messed up, then maybe you should try a different brand.. ask around to see what others recommend for your styles and ones that last long.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Use something like FastFret to keep your strings clean. It's worth the little bit of effort.

Freshman acoustic
IbanezGAX70
DIGITECH RP100