What notes would, in terms of theory, make jazz scales? Is it simply adding two or three notes more to a major or minor scale you are already playing to give it that "walking" feel? I want to be jazzier but adding too many notes makes it sound chromatic, is there certain notes you can and can't play when doing jazz? If playing stuff like pentatonics and certin blues scales is taking notes out of those scales would jazz be the exact opposite?
The reason Bales is laughing that you just asked a question relative to someone asking what is a mountain made of and how do you create one.

Jazz is one area that being drenched in theory helps a great deal. What scales you use is not a straightforward question and depends on what type of jazz you are playing and your role in the jazz group.

Get this book as a start:

http://www.amazon.com/Scales-Jazz-Improvisation-Practice-Instruments/dp/0898987059

It gives the more well known scales used in Jazz and how to apply them to soloing and improv.

And then do a thread search for the threads done by Jazz_rock_Feel and Sinan90 on scales, walking bass lines and Jazz. That will keep you busy for sometime and may clear up some of your questions....
Quote by anarkee
The reason Bales is laughing that you just asked a question relative to someone asking what is a mountain made of and how do you create one.

That wasn't it, but that sounds nicer so we'll go with it.

Oh yeah, and I wrote an amazing thread on walking basslines a while back and I just recently reposted it in another one.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
*laughs to himself mysteriously*

What do you mean "jazz"? Do you mean soloing, walking, playing melodies, what?

In general, the basic sound of it. I'm not trying to learn whole pieces i just want to add that "Jazz" vibe to my playing.

Listen to the cd "Lonesome Crow", that kind of jazz.
You need a ****-ton of theory knowledge to make a peice sound like you want. Just read the threads they suggested. Jazz is a HUUUUUUGE genre, so you should also listen to a variety of jazz to let us know what you want it to sound like. Blues and funk are two examples of how varied jazz is.

check out all they videos on youtube
they dead serious about thuggin like that
if you ask me they are fruity
an i hope one morning they drown in there fruit loops
Well I've been listening to alot of ambient Jazz and bebop Jazz, if you are asking me to narrow it down. But honestly is there THAT much of a difference between the differnt jazz styles? My main goal is to just add jazz techniques to my playing to spice things up. I play mainly classic rock/british rock but I've seen how alot of rock players use other genres, such as jazz, to make their playing more lively and interesting. For example STeve Digorgio and Alex Webster, tech death metal bassists, have alot of jazz influences in their playing that they incorporate into their death metal. Thats my goal.
Last edited by Randy Bobandy at Aug 22, 2008,
Jazz doesn't have any specific scale, it uses every single one around. If you want to sound jazzy, the only real way to do it is to listen to jazz, transcribe solos, steal licks and put them in your playing.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
You say youre from Halifax Regional Municipality? does that mean you aren't from anywhere, or is Nova Scotia so small it doesn really exist as a city? WTF :stickpoke
Quote by Delicious Bass
You say youre from Halifax Regional Municipality? does that mean you aren't from anywhere, or is Nova Scotia so small it doesn really exist as a city? WTF :stickpoke

Nova Scotia isn't a city, it's a province in Canada, and Halifax is our capital and largest city. Take some time to learn about Canada, we are the best.
California has more bikinis, and thus, defeats Nova Scotia. hah.

remember, jazz is based off of the blues, so if you are trying to get the vibe of it, just think blues style. but with better organization.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom