i have been playing for a year and a half now and for the past 6-10 months i have been getting frustrated to the EXTREME. everyone sounds so good when i listen to them play but when i listen to myself playing, i sound like hell mixed with dog ****. i practice for anywhere from 1 hour to 4 hours everyday. the majority of that is practicing is improving solos. I STILL SOUND LIKE SUCK. am i doing something wrong? i should at least sound decent by now. i want to be that kid who can make people crap their pants cause hes so good and it seems to me that i have put in the time but i'm seeing no results. every time i pick up my guitar and play a solo, i think of all the tips people have given me, i think of the melodic control video i've watch religously tons of times, i think of how i want it to sound, but i end up getting soo frustrated because it sucks.

i know basic theory. i try to learn more theory but it is so confusing to me.

examples of my playing:
example 1
example 2

nobody wants me in their band, or let alone to jam with me because my playing is full of suck. this is something that has been pissing me off for the past 6-10 months ish and is increasingly pissing me off.

WHY DO I SUCK SO GOD DAMN MUCH
Last edited by madshatter at Aug 21, 2008,
ur playing didnt seem that bad, but your tone sucked, no offense, so work on that, and then your playing will sound better.
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
sup, i was having the same problem for a while but i think maybe you should focus on foundations like just getting picking right. alternate picking, up strokes, down strokes. and then work on some songs by your fav band. Also I think you might be stressing alot. what I always do if im going no where is that I stop playing. put down my guitar. and just chill for a couple of days. It's actually proven by someone somewhere that if you stress your guitar playing too much like it sounds like you are, though are 4 hour practice would help and im glad your devoted, but really playing too much and stressing on being the best you can be will actually make u suck more. I found that problem and I still am going through that problem my self. I find a good warm is exo-politics by muse. it has a nice intro with only one finger notes. the chorus is barre chords which is a good skill. the solo is like 30 seconds long and inbetween like 10th and 14th fret. and really its basic. once you learn it you warm up on it. a more advanced but effective warm is black magic woman by santana. I find that if i learn that it really does help you to dominate the hammer on, pull off, and bends and just over all concentration. I know that me saying all this probably took up a few minutes of your time and i probably sound really deep and uncool unlike me usuall self but really thats most of what i did in a slump. just keep it up and you'll get there. sorry for taking up so much time with this post and sorry for sounding like a guitar yoda but hey i think its kewl you can come out and say it like this. well cyah and rock on better than you did before.
uhmm either you have technical difficulties, or you have a bad sense of rhythm. that's what it sounds to me.
it the first case is what you're experiencing, well, practice! correctly too. practice all those kind of chromatic exercises and chords too. it's very important to practice chords. you won't get too good at chords if you don't practice them, because you only gain finger independence from soloing practice, and not finger 'dependence' (sorry for bad english, can't figure out a better word at 3 am)
first step to playing better, develop some god damn self-esteem and confidence

confident playing sounds 10x better than someone getting up there and being tentative on their instrument your mistakes will be way more noticable if your playing scared
i just got a guitar teacher who is apparently really good. gotta wait till tuesday though for my lesson... ugh. i think he will be able to help me out. otherwise, i'm taking a break for a while. dunno whats next though.
ok, so basicly, we all have/had the same problem, u just gta be cool and relaxed while u play, ur clip sounded too mechanical ( not sure if i used the right word), acousitc should never sound mechanical, it should sound like it comes from the heart ( easy said than done ).. i heared half te 1st clip, it wasnt that bad acualy, only the rythem part, u shd work on it, and work on your chords, while the solo bit was acualy pretty good, for as far as i listened, a bit sloppy in the end though ( like me).. so anyway

i belive the key is in being relaxed, and practicing songs 1st, before improvising. u cant improvise without u learing alot of diffrnt styles, and songs 1st.. so go learn songs 1st

i suggest : acoustic medley, and pallar anders visa by inflames, ther rly amazing songs both, and will help alot with ur sloppiness.

cheerz
DO

THE ACOUSTIC

Dreaming his way to victory
Don't focus so much on the practicing and technique. I'm going to get flamed up the ass for this, but focus on the emotion. All the great players people are impressed by are the ones that throw everything they've got into it. Stop thinking about how much you suck and just enjoy it, play what you feel and eventually it will sound good.
I listened to those examples: you profess to be frustated with your playing; it sounds to me that you are playing with frustration on those recordings, it was almost palpable.

Just to say that I know how it feels to practice and play with a wincing sense of dissatisfaction.

You are frustrated in the strict sense that your will or desire to become good at playing the guitar is being thwarted by your perceived limitations.

Will try to come back with some constructive criticism and concrete advice when I have had more time to listen to and think about your recorded examples.

I'll also ask my father and my two brothers for any observations on your playing when I get the opportunity (probably next weekend).

Take care.
Quote by madshatter
i have been playing for a year and a half now and for the past 6-10 months i have been getting frustrated to the EXTREME. everyone sounds so good when i listen to them play but when i listen to myself playing, i sound like hell mixed with dog ****. i practice for anywhere from 1 hour to 4 hours everyday. the majority of that is practicing is improving solos. I STILL SOUND LIKE SUCK. am i doing something wrong? i should at least sound decent by now. i want to be that kid who can make people crap their pants cause hes so good and it seems to me that i have put in the time but i'm seeing no results. every time i pick up my guitar and play a solo, i think of all the tips people have given me, i think of the melodic control video i've watch religously tons of times, i think of how i want it to sound, but i end up getting soo frustrated because it sucks.

i know basic theory. i try to learn more theory but it is so confusing to me.

examples of my playing:
example 1
example 2

nobody wants me in their band, or let alone to jam with me because my playing is full of suck. this is something that has been pissing me off for the past 6-10 months ish and is increasingly pissing me off.

WHY DO I SUCK SO GOD DAMN MUCH

stop focusing on good vs bad and just enjoy playing.

Quote by HARDPOINT
I listened to those examples: you profess to be frustated with your playing; it sounds to me that you are playing with frustration on those recordings, it was almost palpable.

+1

TS: focus on the music. be patient & just enjoy the experience.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 23, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky

+1

You've only been playing for a year and a half, dude. That's nothing. You're a beginner, and rather than getting frustrated over your playing, embrace all the time you have to progress. You're going to be playing for what, your entire life? If you remain dedicated, you have over 50 years to become amazing. Be happy about that.
What I heard was you trying too hard to sound good, when you should be playing from your heart. Especially if you're going to use that blues scale non stop. Don't play to impress people.
If anything, A.) Take breaks, pressing yourself to do X many hours will make it seem more like a chore then a hobby, and B.) Work on your phrasing a bit. You want your solos to flow, not sound like a bunch of random licks one after the other. Try to lead from one lick to the next. You're not bad, but (like everyone) you do have things you can improve upon.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by GuitarMunky

+1.

Don't think of this as work. If you think that after 7 months you've "put in the time" to "be that kid who can make people crap their pants", you're sorely mistaken. It'll take a long, long time, but just appreciate the journey for what it is.
Quote by :-D
+1.

Don't think of this as work. If you think that after 7 months you've "put in the time" to "be that kid who can make people crap their pants", you're sorely mistaken. It'll take a long, long time, but just appreciate the journey for what it is.

Yes. I started playing the guitar for my school's senior project class, well, let's just say I hated guitar for a while =), it seemed more like work... After the school year was over, man was it much more fun and enjoyable.

Also, work on your rythm a bit, it your playing seemed a little too "robotic" for lack of a better word.

Play for fun man, if you're playing to impress others, you just don't get the same satisfaction.
Quote by rastaman12
What do people usually do after they **** their sisters?
all of you who have taken the time to post advice, i truely appreciate it. thank you. i now have a better idea of how to better myself as a player, the main one being just having fun.
Quote by GuitarMunky
stop focusing on good vs bad and just enjoy playing.
That said, there is nothig wrong with striving for excellence. Seven months is not long enough to become a guitar god, but if you work hard at the guitar, even if it means doing something you don't like but need to do (string skipping for me), you will get good.

You have to decide your musical goals. I suck at string skipping, but I'm okay with that because my main focus is on songwriting, not soloing.
I didn't read this thread, besides the first post, so maybe someone said this already but...

Guitar playing isn't about soloing only....

You can have a great song with out a solo (even in metal...yes it IS possible!!!)

seems to me like you jumped straight into playing solos, and skipped on the essentials of when you start.

Try going back to the basics, try and pick up on what you missed out in the beginning, and read some lessons on this site, they are really good.
It was bad, it sounded like you were very self taught I was self taught but learning from a teacher helped a lot. Practice your basics, you can't just wank around on pentatonic and expect to be good. Use a metronome and practice the major scale in all keys and all voicing experiment with new things.

Most importantly:
DON'T PLAY GUITAR BECAUSE YOU WANT TO IMPRESS PEOPLE.
+1

You've only been playing for a year and a half, dude. That's nothing. You're a beginner, and rather than getting frustrated over your playing, embrace all the time you have to progress. You're going to be playing for what, your entire life? If you remain dedicated, you have over 50 years to become amazing. Be happy about that.
hey ive been playing for 8 months and without sounding bigheaded i am very good for 8 months! i have picked up a lot with no teacher and can play stuff like shine on you crazy diamond and can improvise very well. although it takes time you cant say it will take him 50 years. i undertstand what he means cuz i hit a block like that a week ago but it passes.
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Quote by Conca

hey ive been playing for 8 months and without sounding bigheaded i am very good for 8 months! i have picked up a lot with no teacher and can play stuff like shine on you crazy diamond and can improvise very well. although it takes time you cant say it will take him 50 years. i undertstand what he means cuz i hit a block like that a week ago but it passes.

It's this attitude that can also be dangerous, though. Eight months still is nothing, and being "very good" for 8 months (which is subjective anyway) is not being very good at the guitar. In addition, I'm sorry to say it, but I doubt that you can improvise "very well". It may be good relative to others who have been playing the same amount of time, but again it won't be much in the grand scheme of things. You're going to have to put in a lot of work to achieve proficiency; you get in what you put out.

You seem to be approaching this from a mindset that it's a competition. It's not, so just enjoy what you're doing and don't worry about how you measure up.

He also didn't say "it'll take you 50 years", Donswald was just trying to show how much time he has ahead of him to play and refine his skills. I think you missed that point.
Play with cds

This answer should be /thread, unfortunately, most people will tell you some scale exercise to practice.
The first thing to remember is that one and a half years isn't that long in terms of playing guitar. Secondly, it sounds like you are frustrated when you are playing. I think you might be trying too hard to remember everything while your playing. The most important thing to do when you're playing is to relax, enjoy yourself. The only thing you need to think about is how it sounds. That way you develop good technique because a good technique is anyway that lets you sound good. Your playing isn't too bad, it just sounds very messy. I think it might be because you are distracted trying not to do something wrong. Don't worry about it so much. The most important thing though is to stick with it because it's all worth it.

I hope this helped in someway.
Quote by TravuhsWree
DON'T PLAY GUITAR BECAUSE YOU WANT TO IMPRESS PEOPLE.
He can do what he wants. If he wants to dedicate the time it takes to get good enough to sound impressive, that is his choice.

There are many articles and threads (and even a forum) dedicated purely to technique. Look at those.
+1 to everyone saying you need to relax and just let it go. The more frustrated the worse you get. You ever been playing a video game for hours and then you get stuck on something and just try over and over to get past it, get mad, throw the controller, leave it, and then the next day you come back and beat it first try? It's the same thing... kind of...

And remember, music is art, it's about expressing yourself and enjoying it and letting others enjoy it as well.

and I'd also like to say that the first example's rhythm was... spastic and lurching around incoherently...

and the solo seemed like you are actually good at playing guitar, but you were trying so hard to sound awesome that it just seemed mechanical, with disjointed random licks thrown around, it didn't flow.

the way to get better at that is to just relax etc as everyone has said.

the second example was a little better, but that little riff thing thrown in between every phrase got old after the first couple of times.

and I'm sure this would probably help a lot too. Phrasing For Dummies
Quote by The4thHorsemen
and I'm sure this would probably help a lot too. Phrasing For Dummies
I didn't have a listen to anything, but if the issue is phrasing, then a click of the word "soloing" in my sig is in order.

Edit: This post puts me in the 9K club.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Sep 12, 2008,
I listened to example #1, and yeah, like many of the other posters have said, I'm hearing a lot of tension, like you're trying really hard.

Most of all though, you're original post said it all. You are placing way too many expectations and pressure on yourself. Work hard on improving, yes, but you've got to chill out and enjoy the process. Understand that progress isn't linear - you can't say "if I practice x hours a day, then I'll improve y% every month". Many times I've just focused on playing, working hard at techniques, and challenging material and such, enjoyed every day of it, and tried not to pressure myself with silly stuff like "I've got to play this faster than I did the other day or else I won't be making progress". Then suddenly one day you think "hang on a second, I'm playing this a lot better than I was able to before" or "this feels really good, and not long ago it felt difficult and not much fun". It's like magic.

So in short.
1) Quit comparing yourself to other people.
2) Quit thinking about where you *should* be at this point in your development.
3) Pick something easy to play and work on getting it to sound really good, rather than playing harder stuff and struggling with it.
4) Keep working hard at it.
5) Relax (mentally and physically) and enjoy the journey. You never reach the destination (being as good as you want to be), so you better be enjoying the process!

Good luck! I've been there.
You have to enjoy yourself. I've heard beginners who didn't have much skill, but they were enjoying themselves which made me enjoy it too. Play to your favourite songs and feel great about yourself.