Hey, i have a Behringer V-amp and i was wondering if anyone knew any good Van Halen settings for it, or just in general, i play a lot of their music but i struggle to produce the same sound.
Last edited by Pennderinn at Aug 21, 2008,
Everything at 10.

But seriously, try something with treble at 7, mid at 2, bass at 4-5, and tons of reverb
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
its funny when someone asked a question like this, and then they get completely different answers.
you should try the ultimate settings thread.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by FMNStratGuy
Everything at 10.

But seriously, try something with treble at 7, mid at 2, bass at 4-5, and tons of reverb

Yea uh no...

Lots of mids (I max them out) and a fair amount of treble (7-8) with bass around 5 or 6. But he did use alot of reverb.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

GO 10's!!!!!!!!!!!+cave-like reverb
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
okay, also he used a Phase 90 and i was wondering what speed to put it at?

Also i tried the ultimate settings thread nad it was really off, some of the other bands were on though like Pink Floyd, Joe Walsh and The Edge.
It depends on the amp for the setting, different amps produce different tones, just do whatever sounds the best.
When I do van halen I usually set my phase 90 at about 8-10 o clock, somewhere in there is pretty good.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
When I do van halen I usually set my phase 90 at about 8-10 o clock, somewhere in there is pretty good.

yeah but only use phase for lead work... it sounds like crap when playing rythym and riffing... for rythym effects (if any) he usually uses a flanger...

The only effects you'll really need for VH are good reverb, a phase 90, and some flanger.

To hear examples of a nice phaser lead tone listen to the ice cream man solo... The phaser gives it that sort of "wet" sound that is really distinct.

To hear examples of flange in VH music listen to unchained.
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
yeah, i'm playing unchained in my band and that was my next question is what flange pedal to use and how much, and i don't want to get thw EVH Flanger
Eddie Van Halen of Van Halen
Gain - 6
Treble - 4
Mid - 3
Bass- 9
Reverb - 4

From the ultimate settings topic. Although you probably saw it already.
Gear:

Peavey Classic 30
Vox AC4TV
Epiphone G-400 1968 w/ Mean 90
FullTone OCD V4
BYOC 250+ (Dist. +)
Marshall Regenerator
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Ok, without knowing the amp, guitar, etc. these "settings" are worthless. All you can go by is a lot of mids and especially high mids, not a lot of bass,. G12M greenbacks, Marshall voicing. "Gain" is relative. Eddie's Marshall didn't have a gain setting, he turned the volume to 10 and used a variac.
What is a variac anyway? Isn't it just basically a big attenuator?
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

A variac changes the voltage being supplied to the amp (I think its shorthand for "variable AC"). I'm not sure how much effect on tone it actually has, but George Metropoulos's 1968 plexi has a built in variac setting that gets the sound a bit more grind.
The variac didn't really do anything tone-wise, he just used it to lower the input voltage so there was less strain on the amp when running it full throttle...he dropped it to about 90 volts insteasd of 110.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
well the ultimate settings thing did not work at all, he used more treble than bass, and i have an Austin SG with two humbuckers (it's my brothers, i have to fix the wiring on mine) and i'm using a small Behring 15w amp.
The biggest issue is that you don't have the same or even similar gear.

Trust me, if getting great tone was simple as just dialing in an EQ, none of us would be spending all our money on nice gear.
Buy a 70s plexi, put a variac in it, run it at high volume and put a phase 90 in front of it. Put a gibson pickup in a crappy jackson and put a strat neck on. Now you have eddies tone.

Seriously, you aren't going to get convincing tones with the V-amp
The ultimate settings thread is a RELATIVE idea of settings used, you have to tweak it a bit depending on your amp.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Buy a 70s plexi, put a variac in it, run it at high volume and put a phase 90 in front of it. Put a gibson pickup in a crappy jackson and put a strat neck on. Now you have eddies tone.

Seriously, you aren't going to get convincing tones with the V-amp
The ultimate settings thread is a RELATIVE idea of settings used, you have to tweak it a bit depending on your amp.

...not to mention connecting the amp's output to a dummy load and instead taking a line out through the effects chain and into a dedicated power amp...effectively using the plexi as a bloody great distortion pedal

Heavy overdriven tone, plenty of mids and healthy treble, loads of reverb and a teeny bit of phasing. Eddie's tone has a fair bit of gain but the sound isn't compressed like you get from modern high gain amps, there's a lot of "space" in the sound.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
...not to mention connecting the amp's output to a dummy load and instead taking a line out through the effects chain and into a dedicated power amp...effectively using the plexi as a bloody great distortion pedal

Heavy overdriven tone, plenty of mids and healthy treble, loads of reverb and a teeny bit of phasing. Eddie's tone has a fair bit of gain but the sound isn't compressed like you get from modern high gain amps, there's a lot of "space" in the sound.

At least someone finally got it right. Thanks, Mark!
The TS will likely not come close to a true early VH tone without a 5150 III or a setup like this. I have a 5150 III, but my 50W non-master volume Mojave run just like the Seagull stated gets a BETTER VH tone than the 5150 III. You need to use an amp that has a lot of touch-sensitivity, which makes the tone punchy & gives shimmering, screaming highs, & bump the mids. Lots of open reverb & touch of delay. EVH Phase 90 on script setting, dial at 9 o'clock like Kevin said. I have a Variac, & it doesn't change the tone much, but just lets the amp run a bit easier when wide open (I don't need it w/ the Mojave because the Mojave has its own dampening circuitry).
The best the TS could do IMO is simply get the best fairly high-gain tone he can & add the phase, flange, reverb, etc. It won't be real VH, but it will probably sound acceptable.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
At least someone finally got it right. Thanks, Mark!
The TS will likely not come close to a true early VH tone without a 5150 III or a setup like this. I have a 5150 III, but my 50W non-master volume Mojave run just like the Seagull stated gets a BETTER VH tone than the 5150 III. You need to use an amp that has a lot of touch-sensitivity, which makes the tone punchy & gives shimmering, screaming highs, & bump the mids. Lots of open reverb & touch of delay. EVH Phase 90 on script setting, dial at 9 o'clock like Kevin said. I have a Variac, & it doesn't change the tone much, but just lets the amp run a bit easier when wide open (I don't need it w/ the Mojave because the Mojave has its own dampening circuitry).
The best the TS could do IMO is simply get the best fairly high-gain tone he can & add the phase, flange, reverb, etc. It won't be real VH, but it will probably sound acceptable.

Isn't the dummy load -> lineout into poweramp the re-amping you always speak of?

I actually really want to try this.
Quote by al112987
Isn't the dummy load -> lineout into poweramp the re-amping you always speak of?

I'm guessing the thinking behind it is that you retain a "pure" guitar tone because your effects aren't dicking around with the signal, almost like adding studio effects in the mix but in a live situation.

Guitar-->amp head--line out-->effects-->power amp-->speaker
            |
         output-->dummy load

That way you can set your amp the way you want with minimal noise and nothing in the way to interfere with the dynamics or responsiveness, but you can still use any effects. It's far better than a normal effects loop because you're getting preamp gain AND powertube saturation. You then take your beautifully crafted, low level tone and ramp it up through the power amp
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 22, 2008,
ah ok I see, its not the same, I think I misunderstood the original explanation.

Off topic but:

I would still like to try the re-amping method of attenuating though that I've read about. Supposedly this is the basis behind the wonderful Ho/ultimate attenuator?
Also a special part of Eddie's tone a lot of people forget is that he actually split the signal. He had the left side with reverb and the right one dry. This is why his sound didn't turn into mud with all the reverb!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Don't forget that even with identical gear you might not even get close to sounding like him. Alot of how a guitarist sounds also comes from their playing style. Eddie would more sound like himself through a roland cube 60 than most of us would sound using Eddie's gear.
Quote by al112987

Yeah, I basically wanted the VH1 tone, so I got the best similar amp I could find, & just copied EVH. StevenSeagull's diagram is exactly correct for EVH's way, but I've found I like the pedal effects in front of the amp (along w/ an OCD), using only digital rack mount echo/reverb between the line out & power amp (EVH used the phaser in front of the amp also, I believe). This re-amping setup is the only way you could possibly use an Echoplex w/ a wide open Marshall. I used to have an Echoplex, & man, that was one noisy POS.
I can't stress enough how incredible-sounding the re-amp setup is. Like I said, the 5150 III nails the VH tone pretty well, but the re-amping w/ the Mojave has more punch & liveliness to it, & cuts through a mix a bit better.
Also, Gabe is correct about EVH's wet/dry cabs. That's how Victor at Mojave Amp Works did the VH sound clips. I heard Vic's setup in person once, & it's absolutely jaw-dropping tone!
I don't do it that way because I've gotten the tone close enough with a simpler setup using just 1 2X12 cab.

Edit: ^stujomo, truer words were never typed .
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
^Exactly. The problem is that when using reverb, you lose attack. But if you mix the wet and dry signals, you don't!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Ultimate settings thread (sticky thread at the top of this forum)
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure