Hi, I'm interested in buying a multi effects pedal but don't really know anything about them.

I'm really new to effects although I've been playing electric guitar for a few years now. I'm interested in playing rock music, classic Big Star influenced power pop, and White Stripes kinda rock (nothing harder than that). That kind of thing. So the things I'm looking for are a lot of effects to experiment with but I also want an set up that's really simple to use. I'd also like it if it had some features to be able to record myself on a laptop too.

I've only checked out the Boss GT-10, which is awesome, but I think has way too many features for someone like me. A friend has also really recommended the line6 stuff, especially for recording and for creating effects. I'm willing to spend something in the range of the GT-10. I checked out the GT-10 reviews on the site, but don't really know any of the options.

Anyways, sorry for the long post but any advice or recommendations would be great. Thanks.
if you're looking for effects plus recording go with line 6 products. plus they seem to have the best quality. i never find that multi effects pedals can match single effects but u want to go towards a multi i would stick with line 6. u could also get the line 6 toneport which comes with the recording program and gearbox software that has tons of effects
CHeck out the zoom g2.1u, its cheap, can do recording as well.
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Digitech RP-250 (or a used rp200)
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by Highwaytohell
Amplifier?
Are you playing in a band situation?

yeah i'll also want to use it to play in a band, i'm not sure how the line6 stuff works exactly
all i've got is a peavy practice amp, rage 158 i think. and its not a question of needing any specific effects, i just want to mess with as many as i can.
Quote by sleeprush
all i've got is a peavy practice amp, rage 158 i think. and its not a question of needing any specific effects, i just want to mess with as many as i can.

get a new Amplifier
Trust me, In the long run you'll thank me
Amp is most of the tone, and getting something to mess around with won't get you loud enough at gigs, and you will probably be dissatisfied with the fact that youve got one big box which can do so many things mediocre, instead of buying many small boxes which do things amazingly!
You're tone won't sound good with a Rage and a modeller.