60 43%
3 or more guitars, bass, drums
3 2%
Jazz Ensemble, orchestra, etc.
5 4%
I only play solos, who needs the rest of the band
2 1%
Voters: 139.
Perhaps people saw the thread in pit about, rhythm vs. lead. Led me to thinking: whats your favorite lineup to play in?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Last edited by slaptasticdave at Aug 21, 2008,
nice grammar. whats the question?

what about 2 guitars, keyboard, drummer, bassist and singer?
I really like playing with just me and a drummer. It's what I've been doing for 2 years and the only thing I'm really comfortable with. There's so much freedom it's ridiculous. Sadly, it's difficult to make music that's in demand with just two people.

So I guess if there was an "other" choice I would choose that, but alas.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Aug 21, 2008,
^ I knew I couldn't have covered all the bases.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
I enjoy playing in a power trio.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
If I can hear my bass, it's comfortable for me. So that kind of rules out the three guitarist option for me.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
I'm a sucker for a power trio--but I enjoy playing in jazz combo and DFA like combos with just drums and bass.

Oh hell, I'm like Ben. I'm such a bass *****, you ask me to play, I'm there.
I really like to either play in a 3 piece with guitar, bass and drums, or with just myself and a drummer. The less people on stage the easier it is to coordinate transitions and weird timings, for me anyway.
Power trio. That is all.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
4 drummers and 3 bassists
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by srvflood
4 drummers and 3 bassists

Why would you ever need 4 drummers?
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Victory2134

Why would you ever need 4 drummers?

One to screw in the light bulb, the other three to keep loaning him light bulbs because he keeps breaking his. I love jokes.

Oh, that wasn't... oh.

Anyway, I'm mosdef a power trio kinda guy, although throwing in a keyboard can be stellar. Still in the end, the big three.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
I have to go for a power trio, it's just so much more interesting to write for and play for.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Aug 22, 2008,
With a 3-piece band (1 guitar, 1 bass,1 drums), you are, as a bassist, forced to play more interesting stuff. it's also a similar story for the drums. As a result, most of my favourite bands are made up of 3 people, just because with 3 people the individual players actually have to be good, musically, or they'd never have gotten big to begin with. Classic examples would be, The who, the Jam, Muse, Nirvana and led zeppelin.

Of course, some of those bands also had singers, but they definately all had 1 to an instrument.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Are guitarists compulsory? I prefer playing with drums and keyboards and vocals, or a drum machine, keyboards and vocals.
I guess jazz would be what i would go with. Its not truthful but ehh. . . . I enjoy my ska.
Drums, Trombone, Trumpet, Guitar, Bass, Vocals, the occasional sax and harmonica. Yeah!

I also like playing the power trio. Also just groving with drums can be sweet too.
Any more than 2 guitars and I tend to not be able to hear myself so thats no good.

Ehh. . . . as long as im playing im happy.

Ryan
Drums, bass, piano, 2 horns or a piano trio.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Well I have to go with 2 guitars, bass, and drums, cause thats what my band plays.

Though it may seem limiting, it is challenging in that you can't get away with overcomplicating your bassline. The downside is I have to play clean most of the time
horns! i want an horns option! i love horns lol
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by IndianRockStar
Well I have to go with 2 guitars, bass, and drums, cause thats what my band plays.

Though it may seem limiting, it is challenging in that you can't get away with overcomplicating your bassline. The downside is I have to play clean most of the time

Ditto on the poll question. Although, the members in my band all think I'm better than them, so they always demand "EPIC" basslines. These "EPIC" basslines are fun and all, but I'm partial to Geezer style interludes and fills. But hey, at least I get to use effects.
I like having a solid drummer with good rhythym, one really sporadic lead guitarist, and an avante garde rhythym guitarist by my side.

if done right, you can be very melodic, just by trying to lock both the guitarists into the drums. and given some do vocals too, I can get a little power trio in. I don't need to solo all the time. I don't really want to. as long as somebody hears what I'm doing and says 'what is he doing?' I'm happy.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I've had the most fun in a 3-person group with guitar and keyboard. Don't need a drummer.
I like power trio's and a lineup of keys or guitar, vocal, bass, and drums.

Cheers!
You stole my Overture
2 guitarists, drums and bass for me. Less chance for me to be told to follow the lead, which always happens no matter what the set up now that I think about it...
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Vocals, Lead, Rhythm, Bass and Drums. F*ck Yeah!
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
having been in a 3 peice originally, then going into a 4 peice with 2 guitars, before that band went into a power trio, I can honestly say Power Trio is the thing for me, being able to hear myself, and having the musical space to branch out and be interesting is very important as far as Im concerned, and the chemistry just seems right, depends on who your playing with just as much as what they are playing though!
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
would have went for a 3 Piece, but having a keyboardist would well outweigh the disadvantages of having a 4th member.
I'm usually a fan of One instrument per band.

Two guitars just doesn't do it for me

Horns can double up, thats not my main scene though.

Backing Vocals I also consider a different instruments *shifty eyes*...
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Lead and Rhythm guitars, Bass, Drums, Vocals, and Keyboard for the win. As long as everyone gets a solid place in the mix and a chance to be heard, that is. In metal it seems to work exceptionally well.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
big bands, i chose the jazz ensemble or whatever, i prefer a variety of instruments, with one person on each. if theres going to be two guitars, at least have them sound radically different. and none of this 5-8 clarinet nonsense that goes on in the school band they are dead weight (yeah i know i will somehow be flamed for that, dont care)
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
dream theater-esque lineup

because most music I listen to has that lineup and love to play in it.
No keyboards would feel empty to me, and no guitar too
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I'm missing the option 'other' in the poll.
Personally I'd like to be in a band with a peddle steel and a fiddle in it, and maybe someone else would have preferred a symphony orchestra, but the poll doesn't provide for these possibilitys.
The three piece band is the one I like most of the presented options. Just a guitar, a bass and a small drumkit rightout forces one to be clean and clear. I like the transparency that comes with trio's.
I prefer one guitarist. If theres 2 i have a really bad habit of following the rhythm player's part. Whereas if theres one it forces me to be a little bit more inventive. Also i can use more FX in a power trio or a dream theater type lineup.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
I'm missing the option 'other' in the poll.
Personally I'd like to be in a band with a peddle steel and a fiddle in it, and maybe someone else would have preferred a symphony orchestra, but the poll doesn't provide for these possibilitys.
The three piece band is the one I like most of the presented options. Just a guitar, a bass and a small drumkit rightout forces one to be clean and clear. I like the transparency that comes with trio's.

I figured if I put "other" everyone would just pick that
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
I play in a band with 3 guitars and I love the sound that it produces. When used to their potential it sounds amazing.
I actually enjoy playing bass in a 3 guitar band, I personally just love the way it all sounds together.
I've played in many 3 member bands and with just one guitar and bass it lacks a lot of rhythmic backing live. I do like two guitar bands as well but after hear what 3 guitars can sound like I do enjoy it a lot.
My Bass Rig (Since Everyone does this)
Fender Jazz 5 String
4x10 Hartke Transporter Series
Behringer BX4500H Ultrabass Bass Head (Changing to a Hartke 5500)

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/morningnj
i was looking for 2 guitars, keyboard, bass, drums. but since it isn't there i went with second fave. 2g,1k,1b,1d. i tried with 2 drums before....didn't go so hot.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
jazz. its more fun to me unless im playing with people that actually like stuff i play. cause my band is sometimes not the most funniest thing in the world cause some of the okay guitar lines....
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing