Page 1 of 2
Here we go people! This is not made to tarnish an amp, this if for you to describe the amp you own and love!
I'll go first...

My amp is a 1989 Carvin X100b.... You wanna talk versatility? The clean channel is the most natural sounding thing I have ever heard! 3 12 ax7s and 4 EL34's with some Dimarzio's... so NATURAL!! Even when I put my EMG equipped axes through it, they sound WAY more natural! The distortion channel is awesome, especially when you crank the hidden +20 decibel switch! I love this amp, I've played the 5150, the 6505, the JCM 2000 TSL, and yes they are great, but nothing has been as flexible as my Carvin X100b.

Please, relay your favorite amp stories...now!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Marshall Dsl 401 or Engl Screamer 50

edit: I dont own them
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

my favorites vary by day.
super reverbs are always up there, and today i would love a fuchs overdrive supreme. (or pretty much any dumble clone)
but i digress, the two amps i DO own i do really love.
my fender HRD is very nice. The cleans never cease to satisfy me, and with a tubescreamer, the drive channel really begins to open up and sing very well.
my old SF bassman is just a chunky monster. its pretty quiet for being a 50 watt amp, and it breaks up very early. no real usuable clean volume. but its midrange growl reminds me very much of tones from across the pond. You can hear it in action in my profile, the song "Light a Fire"
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Aug 21, 2008,
They are all tools, nothing more.

I'm not going to play a Blonde Bassman to get a Gojira tone.
Quote by imgooley

true, so are our axes, but once in a while, you find that tool.. oh yeah, that tool you know you will never part with!.. no homo
Behringer full stack hands down
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Quote by imgooley

true, so are our axes, but once in a while, you find that tool.. oh yeah, that tool you know you will never part with!.. no homo
Quote by Dance_of_Death
teh line 6 spider or marshall mg lol

please, please, let's keep this real ok?
Diezel Herbert
Diezel VH4
Hughes and Kettner MKII TriAmp
Engl Powerball
Genz Benz El Diablo
Peavey JSX
Mesa Dual Rectifier

Last edited by injected at Aug 21, 2008,
I bet most people's favorites are amps they own. I have been playing quite a while and have had quite a few amps. My current favs are my current amps. Each has a purpose - the Vibroverb for cleans, southern rock, SRV (RIP) and surf. The H&K for the higher gain stuff, VH, AC/DC, early Metallica, ya know hard rock to old metal. My Vox for playing late at night on the half watt setting or going camping stuffed full of fresh batteries. I don't have one favorite, but, if I had to take one with me escaping a fire - I would have the Vibroverb in my grasp so fast and forsake everything else shy of my children.
Quote by gregs1020
I bet most people's favorites are amps they own. I have been playing quite a while and have had quite a few amps. My current favs are my current amps. Each has a purpose - the Vibroverb for cleans, southern rock, SRV (RIP) and surf. The H&K for the higher gain stuff, VH, AC/DC, early Metallica, ya know hard rock to old metal. My Vox for playing late at night on the half watt setting or going camping stuffed full of fresh batteries. I don't have one favorite, but, if I had to take one with me escaping a fire - I would have the Vibroverb in my grasp so fast and forsake everything else shy of my children.

Not me, I have a 6505+ but prefer Rectos. $2500+ is hard to stomach at this point in my life though.
Quote by zhunt1130
$2500+ is hard to stomach at this point in my life though.

I feel your pain, right there with you. I'm no pro and my budget isn't that vast either. $2500 is engine rebuild fundage for the hot rod. (<--- car, NOT fender amp).
My favorite TYPE of amp would be the mid 60's Fender Super Reverb.
The amp I have now (Butler CBB Roadhouse), is essentially a BFSR with a boost switch and one channel.

It has a nice bright clean tone. Like the fenders that it's based off of, but with a tighter bottom end and a less scooped midrange. The amp starts to shine when you get it between breaking up and clean. At this point, the amp is very dynamic, and the tone is very colorful. Once you turn up the volume more, the overdrive is very reminiscent to a BFSR, but with a more defined low end and better dynamics. Just a very nice amp all across the board.
And, the amp is very cosmetically appealing. Purple tolex and salt and pepper cabinet covering. And to finish it off, purple abalone knurled knobs.

Cost me quite a bit, but i'm glad I bought it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Mojave Scorpion ftw!
Silver medal to EVH 5150 III.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Oh, the Fender Vibroverb is a close second in my favorite amp.
My dream rig would be my CBB and a Vibroverb running in tandem.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7

Quote by darkarbiter7

just today i heard a guy on youtube playing a vibroverb and super reverb at once. it was so good.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I can't really say as i haven't used a wide variety of amps yet....... but i can tell you that in the end i'm sure my fender frontman is not going to be my favorite.
Quote by chea_man
just today i heard a guy on youtube playing a vibroverb and super reverb at once. it was so good.

I think i've seen that video.
That did sound nice.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by gregs1020
I don't have one favorite, but, if I had to take one with me escaping a fire - I would have the Vibroverb in my grasp so fast and forsake everything else shy of my children.

That's one way to break it down.

Headline:
Man Dies in Stairwell Under Vox AC30CC1
Speaker was apparently upgraded to an Eminence Red Fang

Lately it's the Laney Lionheart L5T-112 that's been getting all my attention. It's a feature-rich, great sounding 5W amp that has more power than I need at home, and enough to jam with a cooperative drummer.

But in a fire? I might grab my Airline, or even my "$10 amp," which is really light and probably next to impossible to replace. The Deluxe Reverb is real nice, too, and it's probably closest to the door. Hmmm....
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I wish I had a Diezel Herbert.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by slatsmania

Headline:

But in a fire? I might grab my Airline, or even my "$10 amp," which is really light and probably next to impossible to replace. The Deluxe Reverb is real nice, too, and it's probably closest to the door. Hmmm....

My favourite amps are the Cornford family. Paul Cornford's amps are voiced brilliantly and they are full, rich, organic, smooth, creamy and chocolately sounding. They are also extremely dynamic and responsive to the guitar player, not to mention hand wired and hand assembled to a great standard using top quality components.

I myself own the Cornford Hurricane which is the finest amp I've played through. Check out "europa" on my profile to hear roughly what it sounds lilke. That was on low volume too.
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at Aug 22, 2008,
Quote by slatsmania

Headline:

Lately it's the Laney Lionheart L5T-112 that's been getting all my attention. It's a feature-rich, great sounding 5W amp that has more power than I need at home, and enough to jam with a cooperative drummer.

For me it has to be the 18watter. Not only is it light, but me and my dad built it with our own hands. It's made out of TOP NOTCH parts and has a bigger value to me. Plus with the Red Fang it's becoming my #1 amp now.

Actually the 18watter is probably my all time fav amps. The reason being that the amp itself is so simple. It's very basic, but still you can do almost ANYTHING you want with it. Actually my dream amp would be a customised 18watter!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Of the amps I've owned, for individual amps, I really loved the Road King. With a stereo setup the road king wasn't very good though, just didn't blend well. The Framus Dragon and Splawn Quickrod have a great blend.

I love the cleans on the Dragon, and the leads on the Quickrod.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by slatsmania

OK, now I gotta know what your $10 amp is !
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
so far, and i know its what i have so im partial, the Orange Thunderverb 50. the attenuator is awesome, and other than that its just a badass EL34 overdrive machine. but i have been coaxing some american sounding cleans from it too as of late. its like whatever sound i hear in my head, i get first try. i'll turn a knob to exactly where its supposed to be. minimal tweaking. i love it to death.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
Quote by riffhog
OK, now I gotta know what your $10 amp is !

It's a Premier or Multivox, 45 or 50. It's not properly labeled anywhere, but the tubes in it themselves are labeled "Multivox by Mullard." It runs on a single power tube - I think it's a 7591, but I'm not sure. Probably puts out close to 15W. It's a really cool little amp. Sounds like a cranked Marshall with it just shy of dimed. Has built in tremolo, too.

Some guy put it up on Craig's List asking $10, and I happened to be refreshing the page when his ad went up. I was first in line. He told me he had a couple people telling him he should be asking for more (I've seen the go amp on ebay in the $200-300 range), but he told me that's all he asked for in the ad, and that's all he was gonna ask for from me. I said, "thanks."
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Marshall JCM 800 2203/2204. Tie between those two. I just love the tones they give. They're godly to me. I also love the Vox Valvetronix. Best SS (Ok, they're hybrid but still are around the SS price range) amp I have ever played (IMO). It has everything I need.
Page 1 of 2