Page 1 of 2
I need help finding one. Not an overdrive, but a distortion pedal. I'll be using it with a Classic 30 down the road. I'm looking for a high gain tone, but not really a super tight bottom end. Maybe something similar to Daron Malakian's tone (System Of A Down). Please don't suggest overdrives, because even with an OD pedal, a Classic 30 can't get enough gain to do metal.

Read this thread for more info on why I want to get a distortion pedal, instead of a high gain amp or an overdrive pedal.

Anyway, the only ones I'm familiar with...

-ZVex Box Of Metal
-Keeley Modded MT-2

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Also, I know I won't be getting the greatest metal tone ever out of a pedal, but if you haven't already, read the thread I linked above.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
i heard it can with an od..

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Jekyll & Hyde pedal. I own one, and they are sick. I can get any distortion imaginable... set aside from authentic fuzz.
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

"Illegitimis nil carborundum"
I use a Zenith Arteffects... lots of gurrrrrr... enough gain for me to do pantera. Man I dont know who told you that but My C30 has plenty of gain to do metal with an overdrive. How high are you cranking the pre-amp gain? like 2? I crank mine to like, 9....
I am suggesting pedals from Boss, they rule hands down. You can take a look at the Boss ML-2 Metal-Core which is practicly the most distorted pedal ever, good for dropped tuning like SOAD. If you're not a big fan of overly distorted pedals you can also take a look at Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion which has 5 knobs and is very versatile. Also I (and almost everyone) am familiar with the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone which is the most versatile and probably the most bought distortion pedal. If these are expensive for you, you can take a look at some Marshall pedals, they're cheaper and are from a good label but I'm not sure about their sound I haven't tried one. DO NOT buy Digitech, they're a cent cheaper than Boss, a little more colourful and fancy but have less quality of sound.
look up the jetter gear.
there are lots of tube powered high end disto. pedals. but i cant think of a single one lol
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
It really all depends on what specific tone you're looking for. I made a mistake awhile back and didn't do my research and bought a digitech metal master. It doesn't sound the greatest for what i normally play but if i want some disturbed or something with that kind of tone it does that excellent. I'm assuming this is because it's digital instead of analog.

Btw, does anyone know if the ML-2 by boss is digital or analog?
Tone bone (forget the company)
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Toneczar Openhaus FTW

Best metal distortion pedal I've ever used.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Thanks for the help so far, but I'm trying to aviod he BOSSes, DigiTechs, etc.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
Quote by alternatex
I am suggesting pedals from Boss, they rule hands down. You can take a look at the Boss ML-2 Metal-Core which is practicly the most distorted pedal ever, good for dropped tuning like SOAD. If you're not a big fan of overly distorted pedals you can also take a look at Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion which has 5 knobs and is very versatile. Also I (and almost everyone) am familiar with the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone which is the most versatile and probably the most bought distortion pedal. If these are expensive for you, you can take a look at some Marshall pedals, they're cheaper and are from a good label but I'm not sure about their sound I haven't tried one. DO NOT buy Digitech, they're a cent cheaper than Boss, a little more colourful and fancy but have less quality of sound.

He said HIGHER end distortion pedals, not cheap POS distortion pedals.
I don't think Boss rules anything hands down. There's always something out there for the same price which is better.

Anyways, what kind of overdrive were you using? I could get metal with my C50 when I owned it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Aug 22, 2008,
I suggest buying the most expensive high end distortion pedal you can find.
MEtal Muff w/ TOp Boost and Silver Dragon are my favorites
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
The Keeley MT2 is pretty good. I played one through a Classic 30 and it was great. I had a perfectly clean tone, turned on the MT2 and had bucket loads of gain (with no background noise too). It is like a Mesa Rectifier in a pedal.

Also check out those Blackstar tube pedals. From what I've heard, they are pretty good.
Twin tube mayhem is win
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Rocktron and Damage Control come to mind.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by darkarbiter7

He said HIGHER end distortion pedals, not cheap POS distortion pedals.
I don't think Boss rules anything hands down. There's always something out there for the same price which is better.

Anyways, what kind of overdrive were you using? I could get metal with my C50 when I owned it.

Hey I know, why dont you throw some money at the problem and it'll solve itself boss have the most versatile and endurant stompboxes ever, but I see you like something with less quality of tone and no versatility whatsoever. Why dont we just buy a huge processor and solve the prob (sarcasm)
Quote by alternatex

these are far from high end...
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
Quote by stymye
bad monkey

That's an OD.
A very nice OD, but still an OD nonetheless.

Metal Muffs are meant to be quite good, though. I've look into them.
And I've only heard good things about ZVex products.
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by alternatex
Hey I know, why dont you throw some money at the problem and it'll solve itself boss have the most versatile and endurant stompboxes ever, but I see you like something with less quality of tone and no versatility whatsoever. Why dont we just buy a huge processor and solve the prob (sarcasm)

You should probably just stop. People here guaranteed know more about gear than you, it's just a simple fact of being on the internet. However - it's generally accepted that Boss is not in fact that great of a pedal maker. Yes they're ubiquitous enough, but they certainly don't define 'high-end' or 'boutique', people with an ear for tone know this, instead of arguing about it just move on.

That being said, I'll second the T-Rex Bloody Mary.
Quote by alternatex

Are you really saying that a company that mass produces it's products is going to have better quality than a boutique pedal company? Think about it for a second and really try to come up with a proper thought before you start spewing ignorance.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by alternatex

Versatile?! I had a Boss DS-2. Supposedly 2 different distortions in one. The first was fizzy crap, and the second was fizzy nasaly crap. And its obvious a more expensive high end pedal will be better that a boss pedal. Also no-one suggested a "huge processor", TS is asking for a high end distortion.
Im not saying all boss pedals suck, just their distortion/OD's unless theyre modded.
landmine ld1

not really all that high end

definitely not low end though
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
wait...why are you trying to play metal through a classic 30???

oh jk...read the other thread
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Wampler Plextortion.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
What you need is a boutique pedal. Try looking for the sansamp gt-2
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Quote by littlephil
Versatile?! I had a Boss DS-2. Supposedly 2 different distortions in one. The first was fizzy crap, and the second was fizzy nasaly crap. And its obvious a more expensive high end pedal will be better that a boss pedal. Also no-one suggested a "huge processor", TS is asking for a high end distortion.
Im not saying all boss pedals suck, just their distortion/OD's unless theyre modded.

I had a DS-2 also and it was horrible! It sucked sustain like a mother.
Quote by tombo32
I had a DS-2 also and it was horrible! It sucked sustain like a mother.

Mmm that too. It can turn nice clean amps into screeching harpys
MXR Dime Distortion for high gain, scooped mids and wailing distortion!
Quote by thsrayas
Are you really saying that a company that mass produces it's products is going to have better quality than a boutique pedal company? Think about it for a second and really try to come up with a proper thought before you start spewing ignorance.

Its nonetheless a reasoning fallacy to say that mass produced product do not compare to products from boutique companies.

Products from boutique companies are not always better than products from mass-production companies.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 5, 2008,
Quote by tombo32
Please tell me that was sarcasm.

Assume so.
Also, I must say, I really dig your amp.
Only the coolest of cool people have an amp like that

But yeah.
I think there's a lot of sarcasm in this thread.
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by JaykeSucks
Assume so.
Also, I must say, I really dig your amp.
Only the coolest of cool people have an amp like that

But yeah.
I think there's a lot of sarcasm in this thread.

What tubes have you got in your GH50L?
Page 1 of 2