Page 1 of 2
probly not the right place but i wasnt sure where to put it

how would this effect the sound of a metal band? i play guitar and im working on getting a band going. i know alot of gutiarists but alot of the ppl ready and willing to start a band right now are bassists. not by design, but how would this change things? do you guys think its a good idea or bad one? im not sure if im going to actually let this happen but id like to know if anbody has tried anything even similar to this. never heard of anything like this before.

all suggestions welcome. try not to bash my idea to much

thanks all

8]:]
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Anybody up for a WookieCore Band? You let me know.

Watch me as i Rock on...
Just have one playing regular bass stuff, and the other playing on the G string all the time. Voila, practically a ryhthm guitarist...maybe.
wow i thought this would be some kind of 2 girls 1 cup parody

Very Disappointed.
Quote by gu1t4rh3r0
One of my friends said to the principle once,
"NO! The voices tell me not to talk to you!" *Runs away on all fours*
The principle eventually caught up to him and gave him a drug test.
Quote by RPGoof
You can barely hear the bassist in metal, why would you need another?

its just convenient really. nothing more.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Watch me as i Rock on...
My band has/had 2 bassists. One played root notes, the other did funky little fills.
All your base are belong to us.
I think that would make for a pretty cool sound. Not in a metal band though.

Two lead basses, harmonizing each other.

could it happen?
Nice beaver.

(. Y .) (. Y .)
Quote by Maidenfan066
I think that would make for a pretty cool sound. Not in a metal band though.

Two lead basses, harmonizing each other.

could it happen?

yeah, maybe for funk or something, but definitely not metal :S
as long as they're playing different parts, and the eq is set so they're not stepping on each others' toes, it'd probably be pretty rockin. i've seen some indie/post-punk guys do it really well.
that said, i'm a bass player, so i'm all for as much low end as you can get.
Quote by RPGoof

someone needs to clone Les Claypool and we can try it.
Nice beaver.

(. Y .) (. Y .)
Lead Bass FTW, there are many ways to do this

clean/slap, clean/synth. clean/fretless "mwa" Or any other combinations of these four styles....

..oh wait metal, well maybe you'll be able to almost hear the bass if they both play at regular metal bass levels. Shazam!
just get them to play diff stuff
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
well there being only one guitarist (me) could make the bass parts more upfront so to say or more noticeable. if it makes a difference.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Watch me as i Rock on...
Quote by Pr3vieWX360
wow i thought this would be some kind of 2 girls 1 cup parody

Very Disappointed.

So did I.
The.
I prefer two keyboardists and one guitarist.

[/Genghis Tron fanboy]
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by RPGoof
You can barely hear the bassist in metal, why would you need another?
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by RPGoof

well there is a genre called funk metal but I'm gonna bet that's not what he's going for. then again maybe traditional metal with some slap bass? i digress...

my opinion is if you have some willing bassists then just go for it and see if you can make it work. i think in general the more parts you can successfully harmonize, the better the overall sound would be.
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
it would be interesting. please try it, record it. put it up and let me listen.

kthxby
-AeM

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Thats what gets you recognized, doing something different, if it works that is. Instead of trying generic metal with a doubled or harmonized bassline, give them seperate parts, maybe one higher and the other lower, like a lead and rhythm bass, along with the guitar, it would sound really cool.
If one bass was a fuzzy techno-esque sound, it could make for some pretty cool business.

Experiment with contrasting the sonic character of the two basses, and maybe restrict the guitar to lead.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
have one bassist play roots and fills on a neck pickup while fingering by the neck, have the other bassist doing melody on a bridge pickup while picking by the bridge.

BAM
spaghetti-etti-etti
you fill me up with you carbohydrates
and energize me with simple sugars <3
uhmmm, has no one honestly suggested this yet??? different tunings!! my friend was gunna do that, but he just got a kick ass drummer instead
Quote by Cockpuncher 2.0
uhmmm, has no one honestly suggested this yet??? different tunings!! my friend was gunna do that, but he just got a kick ass drummer instead

Different tunings doesn't really work unless someone uses a high C. You may be in different tunings, but still end up playing the same register which will mud things up.
Have one playing the higher registers and one for the lower registers.

Study the interaction between cello and bass. You can create some nice voiceleading here if you know what you're doing.

Quote by Cockpuncher 2.0
uhmmm, has no one honestly suggested this yet???

Because it's retarded and doesn't do anything.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Aug 22, 2008,
I know a metal band that's trying to do it. They will have a 6 string bass and a 4 string bass as well as at least one guitar as far as I know... frankly, most metal bands can't even use one bass player correctly, so I don't see many people being able to pull off that idea.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
I think the jist of the thread is to try it, see how it sounds. I think it could sound cool, all though I am a fan of techno, dance, trance, and drum and bass music aside from my metal fascination so i like lots of bass.

DO IT!

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by Xiaoxi

Study the interaction between cello and bass. You can create some nice voiceleading here if you know what you're doing.

+1

I was thinking about what would happen if this dude had one of the bassists buy some smaller strings and tuned up like a cello and became like electirc cello-guitar or something. THAT could be interesting.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
+1

I was thinking about what would happen if this dude had one of the bassists buy some smaller strings and tuned up like a cello and became like electirc cello-guitar or something. THAT could be interesting.

There are piccolo basses that are tuned an octave higher than a normal bass (so same pitch as a guitar) but still with the bassy timbre.
S.M.V. - Enough said.

(Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, and Victor Wooten bass group)
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.
Quote by original=punk
I've seen it. It doesn't work. Everything gets all muddled, no definition in anything.

You clearly did not watch SMV last night in Toronto.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by original=punk
They're not a metal group.

you could still try, if it works for one genre, it can be tweaked just a bit and used for any other genre...

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by RPGoof

fail like epic epic epic epic epic epic fail

for one quite a lot of highly technical highly talented bands have the bassist very audible and cutting through the mix.

and for two have you ever seen a decent bassist who is also a decent musician?.....you can do so much with two handed tapping the most people wouldnt even think of using in a metal situation.

i say go for it @ TS just make sure everyone knows how to harmonize and that one bassist can tap and it could turn out really really awesome you just gotta be clever with how you do it.
I am me. Live with it.
Page 1 of 2