hey everyone!

i usually (99.89% of the time) have used my strat exclusively during live shows.
the other day though, during the first song of our show, my strat quit working. (dont worry, it was just a loose wire on the output jack.) So i took out my epi les paul. I never play this guitar, in fact i at point gave it away to the other guitar player in the band, and then he finally bought a guitar so he gave it back. I used it a couple times for some recording gigs i did with some some of the local guys i do that for. and anyway, i realized that i really preferred the les paul on some of our songs.

i was wondering if you all would think its too much of a hassle to switch guitars frequently throughout a show. do any of you do this?

and also, if it matters, its a very professional environment, we do all original music, have an album out, get played on the radio, and tour. do you think switching guitars too much looks bad or takes away from the live show (i dont have a guitar tech to hand it to me.)
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by drewfromutah
Get some sort of pedal that you can click (Boss TU2) so you won't deafen your audience when you switch!

i would have just turned the amp on stand by, but i never thought of using a pedal. thats a great idea. thanks.
would using a pedal effect my tone in any way?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
i would have just turned the amp on stand by, but i never thought of using a pedal. thats a great idea. thanks.

People say the TU2 affects tone, but honestly I've never noticed.
Quote by chea_man

the tu-2 sucks some tone. if you're going to get a tuner pedal i'd get the korg pitch black .
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
could i use an A/B pedal to switch guitars. do those effect tone? ive heard some are noisy. (dont know why)
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Do it.

And as for not hurting you're audience, they make cables (mines generic, I don't know who) that are designed to not make sound until it's all the way in the guitar. If you're going to get a pedal to do it, you might as well get a BOSS noise reducer. You can step on it to put it on mute.
the other, cheaper way to go about it would be to seperate some of the fender and les paul songs, to limit the number of guitar changes. a few les pauls in a row, then a few fenders, maybe another switch to keep things interesting.
Quote by gonzosrevenge55
the other, cheaper way to go about it would be to seperate some of the fender and les paul songs, to limit the number of guitar changes. a few les pauls in a row, then a few fenders, maybe another switch to keep things interesting.

i was actually just now looking over some of our old set lists trying to see how many times i would have to change lol.
i will def. take this advice.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
could i use an A/B pedal to switch guitars. do those effect tone? ive heard some are noisy. (dont know why)

morley's are pretty noisy unless you get the ground loop eliminator. but that's more money. i think there's one called the whirlwind that has it built in.
Quote by Widow6
Or buy a PRS and have all the sounds you need right there

i think you could do better for the money. they're pretty, and they sound great, but i can't deal with those necks. they feel clumsy. there are a lot of other guitars that have the same wiring options.
hell, you could probably take the les paul to a tech and have them set it up to do that without spending 2 grand on a new guitar. probably new pickups though.
Quote by Widow6
Or buy a PRS and have all the sounds you need right there

i love the PRS that a friend of mine has, however, it cant sound like a strat or a les paul. it sounds like a PRS. (well i guess the PRS double cut sounds pretty much like a les paul lol)
and actually, one of the things that makes each guitar sound different to me, is the fact that the different feel they have causes me to play differently.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Muting it is important, but you also want to minimize the time you take to switch guitars, so practice doing it quickly when you rehearse with your band. You can also try to plan setlists with blocks of 2 or 3 songs on the same guitar so you don't have to switch as many times.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows