So I've really been digging the spider valve 112 tones, and am considering purchasing one. I got to thinking though, what else is out there for 700 bones?

I know generally on this site anything with the term spider in it gets flamed pretty bad, but im looking for serious suggestions.

I listened to a couple bugera (Sp?) clips and wasn't really impressed? Peavey Valveking, stock it flat out doesn't have enough gain. Anything marshall for 700 or less is SS and not worth mentioning. Vox - only ones ive played are the cheaper modelers. You can't touch mesa for 700

Any ideas?
well searching on ebay I found one used mesa rectoverb combo for 1k.
you might be able to get a nicer marshall or a mesa used for around your price range.
i haven't tried the new line 6 stuff, so i can't make the call on that. man, i haven't looked at guitar rigs in a little while.
and are you looking for a combo, or stack?
unless you're looking at fenders (which would definitely not give you the gain you want), it can be pretty hard to come by a nice tube amp new for the price you want.
i do like peavey jsx stuff, or mesa. if there's a place that specializes in used instruments, go there. try a few things. but be careful. test out all the inputs and outputs, compare it to a new one if you can, and make sure nobody made any stupid mods or spilled beer in it.
Quote by Highwaytohell
I think you should try out a bugera...
used you could easily get a mesa DC-5 or F-series or Rectoverb man...

dude just said he didn't like bugera.
There aren't a lot of music shops around here (like there are anywhere), the main ones are - one guitar center location, and two george's music locations.

Re: Bugera - I had not heard of bugera before spending time on this site. I have never seen one in person to try, so my comments are based off of internet clips.

I am looking for a lower wattage combo as right now I live in an apartment.

One other thing I'll mention, I have like 300 bucks worth of store credit at guitar center from a while back, so anything I can order from there is 300 dollars cheaper to the pocket.

EDIT: Also I'm a bedroom player, no band, generally high gain, some mid, occaisonal cleans.
Last edited by Matt15f at Aug 21, 2008,
there are also used XXX combos which go for that cheap

Now I know alot of people dont like them, but Valvekings can sound preety good with a tube and speaker swap...
Was trying to turn this around fairly quick, any ideas on a better move for 400 bucks out of pocket? Or even a straight 700 if its that good.
What kind of music/sound are you going for?
I play metal more than not, I am also a blues fan (weird right). Ideally i would like a nice bluesy tone secondary to a good hard edged metal tone.

Obviously versatility would be nice if its possible.
Quote by Matt15f
I play metal more than not, I am also a blues fan (weird right). Ideally i would like a nice bluesy tone secondary to a good hard edged metal tone.

Obviously versatility would be nice if its possible.

Metal as in Cannibal Corpse or Metal as in Electric Wizard? Blues as in Eric Clapton or as in Hound Dog Taylor?

Specifics.

And it's not weird that you like more than one genre. I play tonnes of thrash and doom metal, and I play tonnes of blues, funk and reggae. Music is music.
More like cannibal corpse than electric wizard, and clapton on the blues side.

Thanks for the help.
I see there is an f-30 on ebay for 700, would this be considerably better than the spider 112?

Concerning mesas i am only able to see video clips so i do not have as much info.
Peavey JSX Combo !! That's the way to go. The 40 watt or 120 watt version, both are excellent.

Or for a little more you can get the head and a nice cab.
Does the F-30 do the classic 'rectifier' sound? What are the tone styles out of it? If it is that good i will order the ebay one.
Quote by injected
Peavey JSX Combo !! That's the way to go. The 40 watt or 120 watt version, both are excellent.

Or for a little more you can get the head and a nice cab.

Either this or a XXX/333.

Will cover your metal and blues needs well enough.