Link is here

I made another thread about what m i should get for playing stuff like Metallica-AC/DC-GnR. Most people said a Valveking would be a good choice. So in this topic i would like to know your opinions of the Peavey Valveking 112. Only if you have used it.

And i have a question as well. It says "External speaker jack", does this mean i can buy a Can and use the 112 as a head? Thanks for any info you can give me.
I thought it sounded pretty decent for low-mid gain stuff. For metalish tone, did not get there in my opinion.
I like my Valveking. It can definitely do AC/DC and G'n'R - not so certain about Metallica without an overdrive pedal. It'll do even better with a speaker upgrade and an EQ pedal.

The Valveking has the option of being used as a head, yes - I've heard it sounds much better when used as a head than when using the default speaker. Haven't had the opportunity to experience this myself, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Ohh that head part makes me want to buy it alone I have a multi effect guitar processor and i saved the perfect tone for metallica stuff, as long as i have it on the pedal, can the amp play it? The amp i have now i use the headphone jack 24/7 because it sucks when you turn the gain past 2 =D
I don't like it. I would much rather use my $400 on a Line 6 Flextone or a Crate V3112T used. Those two options would destroy the VK IMO.

Plus, you shouldn't like an amp by what you read. You should try it out and let your ears decide.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Plus, you shouldn't like an amp by what you read. You should try it out and let your ears decide.

Agreed there
Have to drive a few hours to get to a guitar shop to try these. Gonna get a lot of options, call the guitar shops and see if they have them in stock so i can try them. Now im going to look into the Line 6 Flextone.
Get a good modeller then. Something like a Line 6 Flextone would be great for what you want. You COULD get a Peavey Royal 8, which is the 5 watt version of the VK (kind of). It is somewhat quieter and has a headphone jack. You will save some money on it too.
IF i got a good modeler i could plug right into that? Because i have a Zoom GFX-5 and i plug into that sometimes, theni can use the amp for day time use i guess =]
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Get a good modeller then. Something like a Line 6 Flextone would be great for what you want. You COULD get a Peavey Royal 8, which is the 5 watt version of the VK (kind of). It is somewhat quieter and has a headphone jack. You will save some money on it too.

He could get a Vypyr?
Signatures are overrated.
Well if you ask me they're the greatest of the modeling amps. Minus the Randall MTS series..

Considering the amp has many different amp types, and to top that off, a distortion and clean for each amp model, they're pretty good and pretty versatile.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Vypyrs are taking over here on UG

how many people recommending the vypyr..........have played on one?? that should be the question of the day.
Hey TS

If you like lots of effects, playing at night and with headphones - I agree a modeller is prolly the way to go, as mentioned. The Vypyr is brand new and only a handfull of people own them and some have played them in stores. It might be a good way to go tho if you can play it somewhere first.

Honestly, I got a little concerned when you started asking about the Valveking 112 vs 212, does it have a headphone jack, etc. There are plenty of Web Sites that you can go check out and do some research. Peavey Dot Com is one of them. Where I really got concerned was when I realized that you have...

been here since 2006 and your username is Tab Master........come on now.

There are more differences BTW on the VK112 and 212 than just the number of speakers. 212 is 100 watts, has Resonance and Pressence control, and has Line out options of 16, 8, and 4 ohms for example. Not suggesting this is your amp.

budget?
home or gig?
new or used? (meaning are you willing to look at used gear)
type of music? (anything other than 'tallica, GnR, ACDC?)

and yeah, go try some stuff, do some research before you go, check and see what store has before you get there, go early, take your guitar, and make a short list and come back here. Don't buy stuff just 'cause people say something on the Inturdnet.

Good luck. Man, I can't believe I just typed that wall of text.
I'd have to say that the people who claim ValveKings don't have enough gain, either don't know how to EQ, or just like really fizzy, and bad tones.

I tried one, and got almost instant metal tones. I think you would be happy with it. I'm going to pick up a VK soon. They are really great for the price, despite what all the bandwagon haters think.
Quote by TheArcadeFire
I'd have to say that the people who claim ValveKings don't have enough gain, either don't know how to EQ, or just like really fizzy, and bad tones.

I tried one, and got almost instant metal tones. I think you would be happy with it. I'm going to pick up a VK soon. They are really great for the price, despite what all the bandwagon haters think.

Actually the key word is "enough" becuase it is a low gain amp sure there might be alot on tap but as far as usuable gain its pretty low. That said does it have enough gain to rival a 6505.. No it does not so it doesnt have enough gain which is what people are stating. Also for metal your gonna need a OD, EQ, Speaker swap and Noise Gate. Can it do metal out the gate, sure but your going to be using diode clipping which will produce a harsh thin tone pushing that through a muddy speaker. If you wanna know how much gain the amp actually has turn that button off its infact pretty low. So it depends on how you look at the word metal. For it to do it well its gonna need to be upgraded and even upgraded it still wont rival most high gain monsters that are specifically voiced for high gain. The VK was made to be versatile not a high gain beast so that is a good thing to remember when people demo them.
Hey man, I love my valveking but its true what they say, if you want to enter heavey metal or Br00t4ls, you need an OD. Valveking's love bad monkeys. just another 50 bucks, and a speaker swap and an eq pedal and you got yourself a very versitile amp for cheap.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Ibanez nailed it

/thread

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Quote by mmjohn
how many people recommending the vypyr..........have played on one?? that should be the question of the day.

No kidding. This place is getting a bit scary for recommendations.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Aug 22, 2008,
Quote by ¤TabMaster¤
Well that sucks. Now i might not buy it. =[

Not a 100% true. You can't plug headphones into the amp itself but instead do the following. Plug guitar into regular line in. Plug a guitar cable into the effects "return" and plug the other end of that cable into nothing. Plug guitar cable into "send" and other end of that cable into effects pedal, multi-effects etc. I run my send cable to a distortion pedal and that into a multieffects pedal into a computer sound card.

That's the problem with all this, I need the multi-effects to convert the sound to stereo. Most pedals won't do that. Even my Digitech Metal Master which has a so-called "mixer" output. Plus the sound gets bad, my sound card and/or multi-effects pedal can't remotely handle the 100 watts coming from the VK 212.

I have to go through all this in my little cracker box apartment for those late night jam sessions. In my place I can almost hear what my neighbors are saying, I can tell what their watching on TV ("hey, I like that show...").

As for amps I won't get into any arguments about who's best and all that nonsense. They are right to one extent; hear them for yourself, don't even bother reading reviews. They're pretty much meaningless. Having said that the difference between solid state and tube amps is light years. It's definately worth your while getting a halfway decent tube amp. No question about it.
Quote by lantenec
Not a 100% true. You can't plug headphones into the amp itself but instead do the following. Plug guitar into regular line in. Plug a guitar cable into the effects "return" and plug the other end of that cable into nothing. Plug guitar cable into "send" and other end of that cable into effects pedal, multi-effects etc. I run my send cable to a distortion pedal and that into a multieffects pedal into a computer sound card.

That's the problem with all this, I need the multi-effects to convert the sound to stereo. Most pedals won't do that. Even my Digitech Metal Master which has a so-called "mixer" output. Plus the sound gets bad, my sound card and/or multi-effects pedal can't remotely handle the 100 watts coming from the VK 212.

I have to go through all this in my little cracker box apartment for those late night jam sessions. In my place I can almost hear what my neighbors are saying, I can tell what their watching on TV ("hey, I like that show...").

As for amps I won't get into any arguments about who's best and all that nonsense. They are right to one extent; hear them for yourself, don't even bother reading reviews. They're pretty much meaningless. Having said that the difference between solid state and tube amps is light years. It's definately worth your while getting a halfway decent tube amp. No question about it.
way to resurrect a dead thread
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Gave me some good pointers though. Not sure i get how you can plug headphones into that amp but still, pretty good advice : )