So i saw a brit made a thread about american football so I'd thought I (american) would make one about european football. I don't understand whats so great about it. I've tried watching it numerous times but I can only stand 10 minutes and then I gotta change the channel (same thing when I watch nascar).

I'm not trying to be rude by saying the sport is stupid because I know that its not I just don't understand why is so popular everywhere else but the U.S.
08' Fender MiA Strat
Fender Blues Junior
There is nothing appealing about Euro soccer, its lame, its boring, its lame. Endo story.
its highly skillful, tactical, athletic and entertaining. the world prefers it that most americans dont like it, if they were into it, it would be like...OKAY HALF TIME MULTI-BALL. WHAT A SCORE! GO RED TEAM!!
but fans are known to riot when their teams lose and people end up dead. Theres gotta be something to it if it can stir up that kind of behavior in people.
08' Fender MiA Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Quote by Hyneken
but fans are known to riot when their teams lose and people end up dead. Theres gotta be something to it if it can stir up that kind of behavior in people.

just an excuse to fight. where i live glasgow rangers and celtic are divided by religion which also was fueled by the Northern Ireland troubles. its still pretty nasty people are stabbed at most rival matches..usually over 10 people but the football isnt the reason its an excuse.

have to say tho ive been in the middle of a few riots and they are pretty exhilerating but stupid.
It is my belief that it is so popular because the game is so cheap to play. All you need is a soccer ball.

For all the popular American sports (american football, baseball etc.) you need more equipment for yourself.

Also, there is a perceived lessened chance of injury in the game, so the appeal for it goes up in countries where it doesn't matter if you look tough by tackling someone. And the strategy in the game is insane too.
i can appreciate the fact that it takes an enormous amount of endurance to play at a competitive level, I know those guys are amazing athletes. I think its more of a cultural thing. I guess if I grew up in Europe I'd love soccer and be wondering whats so great about american football.
08' Fender MiA Strat
Fender Blues Junior
While we're at it, why don't we explain the appeal of every sport!

Baseball : grown up men in stupid costumes spitting tabacky and running around like a bunch of idiots
American football : 300lbs black guys bumping into each other
Hockey : teethless white idiots chasing a rubber puck in hopes of making a buck or two to pay for a new set of teeth

(for the record, I'm a hockey guy)
Quote by asmeister
While we're at it, why don't we explain the appeal of every sport!

Baseball : grown up men in stupid costumes spitting tabacky and running around like a bunch of idiots
American football : 300lbs black guys bumping into each other
Hockey : teethless white idiots chasing a rubber puck in hopes of making a buck or two to pay for a new set of teeth

(for the record, I'm a hockey guy)

men with no life purpose need a source of meaningless entertainment so they can express emotion in an arbitrary way.
Quote by pepsi_lovr
For all the popular American sports (american football, baseball etc.) you need more equipment for yourself.

Not really, for baseball, all you really need to 'buy' is a couple balls. You can improvise a bat with any long, hard rod.

Sure, it might break, but that's what you bring extras for!

So, all you do is get a pair of balls and a long, hard rod and you're good to go!
because its awesome and requires more skills than almost every other sport,
if you try to play it then you will see what its all about...wait..nevermind, americans (not trying to be rude) would usually just try to kick it and dribble it around because its not "their sport", if you go to other countries usually europe, african or asian countries they go over the top, fakie here, jump there, its all totally awesome
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Not really, for baseball, all you really need to 'buy' is a couple balls. You can improvise a bat with any long, hard rod.

So, all you do is get a pair of balls and a long, hard rod and you're good to go!

Oh god... the innuendo is killing me
Quote by Dirge Humani

It was a graveyard smash.
Because European football takes massive amounts of endurance (the average player runs around 8.9 miles a game.) Where as American football players pump steroids only to take a break every play.
Firefly > You

Trumpet Alliance
Quote by Hyneken
So i saw a brit made a thread about american football so I'd thought I (american) would make one about european football. I don't understand whats so great about it. I've tried watching it numerous times but I can only stand 10 minutes and then I gotta change the channel (same thing when I watch nascar).

I'm not trying to be rude by saying the sport is stupid because I know that its not I just don't understand why is so popular everywhere else but the U.S.

It's much faster paced than American sports. There aren't as many breaks in play. The fact that skill can beat brute force. The mesmerising individual skill of players such as Messi, Ronaldinho, Cristiano Ronaldo, Riquelme, Jay Jay Okocha, and Juninho Pernambucano (YouTube them). The thuggish, elbowing, forces of nature that are/were Christian Vieri, Alan Shearer and Adriano. The fact that there's so few goals (when compared to American sports) each game means you can celebrate every one like you've won the match. Any team can beat any other on their day.

The beautiful one-touch passing of the Valencia team circa 2003. Michael Owen's goal against Argentina in 1998. Carlos Valderrama's brilliant hair. Socrates' magnificent beard. Arsenal's "Invincibles" in 2004. Havant & Waterlooville taking the lead against Liverpool in the FA Cup last season. Zinedine Zidane's magnificent headbutt on Marco Materazzi in the final game of his career: a World Cup final. Henrik Larsson. Roy Keane. Sir Bobby Robson. The pig's head thrown onto the pitch when Luis Figo returned to Barcelona.

I could go on.
Rob Schneider is... Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb! Rated PG-13.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.
Methinks you pwned the thread dude.

Member number 8 of THE OFFICIAL UG TRANSFORMERS CLUB
Starscream
p.m. D. Rice to get number/ranking
Quote by Mr_Kite
Because European football takes massive amounts of endurance (the average player runs around 8.9 miles a game.) Where as American football players pump steroids only to take a break every play.

It's a different kind of workout.

To put an end to this thread, both kinds of football are legitimate sports with amazing athletes. I love watching both. Can't we all just... get along?
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by BigFatSandwich
It's a different kind of workout.

To put an end to this thread, both kinds of football are legitimate sports with amazing athletes. I love watching both. Can't we all just... get along?

No.
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
To the folks talking about what kind of exercise football/American football is:

If you're playing or watching whichever sport to have fun who gives a flying f*** what kind of workout it is?

Honestly if you're gunna argue that it's a better game because of the kind of workout it gives you then going to the gym is the greatest game of all time.
Rob Schneider is... Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb! Rated PG-13.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.

Starscream
I'm Canadian and I enjoy some of it.
I hate when all there is are blind passes, but it's pretty amazing that players can kick the ball 50 feet and then their teamate head butts it up farther and it gets kicked in or something.
Although Hockey is my favourite sport to watch.
Quote by Machine Gun Cat
America football is for unfit fags who need armour and constant breaks in the play RUGBY FTW!!!!!

There's always one

Piss off back to Eton, Reginald.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.

Starscream
The pure skill and fitness involved is unbelievable.

For a normal player 8 or 9km per game is nothing. Some players have covered 12 to 13km in a single game.

And whilst you're running almost constantly, you have to be tactically aware of everything thats going on around you. The movement of every single player on both your team and the opposing team must be tracked. You're constantly waiting for the ball, whilst also running to create space for yourself or your teammates.

If the ball comes to you, you have to automatically know what you're going to do with it, who your going to pass to on the pitch and where they are. Wether it be a 60 yard crossfield pass for some one to run onto, or a short 10 yard pass which you run forwards to receive again.

Tackling is a skill only few acquire. You have to go for the ball, and the ball only. You can't hit the man or it's a foul, so you have to be exceptionally good to take the ball away.

And all this is for 2 x 45 minute periods. No long pauses in the game, it's got to be as quick as it can. Only 3 substitutions per team allowed, so there'll be 16 players on that pitch going for 90 minutes.

It's the best game in the world for me. Nothing comes even close.
Quote by Machine Gun Cat
America football is for unfit fags who need armour and constant breaks in the play RUGBY FTW!!!!!

No matter the gear it still hurts.

Maybe if you weren't completely ignorant you would realize that the only similarities are the ball which aren't the same size.

I bet you think hockey players like me are also pussies. It sucks getting nailed into the boards, people don't realize there's nothing protecting the back of your calf, stomach, or rib cage, and your arms are barely protected to, I've taken slapshots off of all those areas except the stomach and ribs, it hurts like fuck.
Since soccer tends to have less points scored, each one feels very powerful and the whole game in turn ends up being a very tense (but in an amazing way) one. Also, comebacks are so much fun to watch cause they can just happen at any moment because all it takes is about two well placed shots. You don't have to worry bout some bull**** onsides kick knowing full well the odds of a comeback in football (american) is slim. Also, a soccer match that is only one point difference can be super intense at the end because it is stilll very possible the other team could tie whereas in American football that tensity is broken down by a multitude of timeouts, time between plays, and the fact that if the other team gets the ball it's pretty much game over.

I prefer football (euro style) over american football (still call it soccer though because everyone shoots you glances here if you call it football) but you can't really compare the two because they appeal to such different crowds. They are both demanding but in different ways so it seems kind of stupid to fight over what is better.
Quote by Reverb X
I think you should touch your penis. It solves all problems.

Quote by JimmyPageda2nd
My penis is not huge.

EDIT: If anyone sigs that, I'll beat their ass.

Member of the Nobody Club:We Don't Matter Enough To Have Titles. PM gunther_sucks to join
Quote by Snakexe
To the folks talking about what kind of exercise football/American football is:

If you're playing or watching whichever sport to have fun who gives a flying f*** what kind of workout it is?

Honestly if you're gunna argue that it's a better game because of the kind of workout it gives you then going to the gym is the greatest game of all time.

Hereforthebooze, read this.

Edit:
^^ Finally someone NOT talking bollocks.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.

Starscream
Quote by Snakexe
It's much faster paced than American sports. There aren't as many breaks in play. The fact that skill can beat brute force. The mesmerising individual skill of players such as Messi, Ronaldinho, Cristiano Ronaldo, Riquelme, Jay Jay Okocha, and Juninho Pernambucano (YouTube them). The thuggish, elbowing, forces of nature that are/were Christian Vieri, Alan Shearer and Adriano. The fact that there's so few goals (when compared to American sports) each game means you can celebrate every one like you've won the match. Any team can beat any other on their day.

The beautiful one-touch passing of the Valencia team circa 2003. Michael Owen's goal against Argentina in 1998. Carlos Valderrama's brilliant hair. Socrates' magnificent beard. Arsenal's "Invincibles" in 2004. Havant & Waterlooville taking the lead against Liverpool in the FA Cup last season. Zinedine Zidane's magnificent headbutt on Marco Materazzi in the final game of his career: a World Cup final. Henrik Larsson. Roy Keane. Sir Bobby Robson. The pig's head thrown onto the pitch when Luis Figo returned to Barcelona.

I could go on.

This post is almost as emotive as the current Bullmers advert! Love it!
Quote by Snakexe
Hereforthebooze, read this.

Edit:
^^ Finally someone NOT talking bollocks.

You should probably read what I posted then.

I didn't mention anything about American Football. I simply listed why (European) football appeals to me.

I've watched American Football a few times, but I can't get into it, as it just doesn't appeal to me. I've absolutely nothing against the sport, or it's fans, hence the reason why I didn't mention it. I don't know much about it, other than the players are great athletes, just in a different respect to soccer players. Hence again why I didn't comment on American Football.
Quote by Hereforthebooze
You should probably read what I posted then.

I didn't mention anything about American Football. I simply listed why (European) football appeals to me.

I've watched American Football a few times, but I can't get into it, as it just doesn't appeal to me. I've absolutely nothing against the sport, or it's fans, hence the reason why I didn't mention it. I don't know much about it, other than the players are great athletes, just in a different respect to soccer players. Hence again why I didn't comment on American Football.

I read what you posted, and it's mostly rubbish.

You seriously like football because you have to be really fit to play it? Why not watch the Iron Man events or something instead?

You make tackling out to be some kind of divine skill that only a few possess, when infact even Titus Bramble makes a decent fist of it.

Awareness is an important part of the game, yes, I'll give you that. And when you see Wesley Sneijder play a 50 yard ball to Ruud van Nistelrooy's feet without looking up it is mightily impressive.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.

Starscream

I know it's not THE one, but right player
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.

Starscream