25 50%
Daron's better
3 6%
They're the same in my book
5 10%
Who gives a damn
17 34%
Voters: 50.
Im more of a casual SOAD fan myself, never totally went head over heels with it like a lot of people.

So given the "Hiatus" and the availability of scars material on youtube.
Who do you think came out on top in this case?

Daron's clearly taken the total control of scars to its boundries, if you listen to stoner hate, drugs, and the likes. But is it really anything more than semi intellectual drivel/self indulgence?

Serj definetly demonstrates he was the defining voice in system of a down. His new material is largely the radical political statements most have come to expect from SOAD.

Personally, I'd pick Tankian anyday. I think darons songwriting is self indulgent to the maximum degree possible, Where tankians may indeed be over political and relatively simple in comparison to someone lik Tool, per say, atleast people can understand it and it serves a purpose. Plus, daron has a terrible voice, and he's a little creepy and seems full of unjustified hate, seeing as he comes from a relatively priveledged background, whereas serj seems and is, from the time I've met him, fairly approachable, and a very amiable guy, who's got articulation and style behind the anger.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
To me, Daron has a better-sounding voice but Serj has way more control over his. As far as music goes, I'd have to say Scars on Broadway has some pretty good stuff but Serj Tankian's isn't too bad either...hmmm....to me, Scars on Broadway is a better band but conveys no message whatsoever whereas Serj Tankian's music isn't as good (although it's still pretty good) but he's delivering a more powerful message than self-indulgence in his CD, so I guess it all depends on what your personal views are when you compare these two.
I say Daron, because I like Scars on Broadway more than Tankian's self effort. Also because I like Daron's voice more, and that he was the main song writer for System of a Down.
PeaceLoveUnityRespect
How about neither

*reported*
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
Daron has a terrible, grating voice. Worst of all, in SoB he has full reign to (as you said) be self-indulgent to the extreme. It's ironic that the guitars outside of SoAD are ridiculously simple and boring, despite being one of the guitarists.

The material he's put out is simply repetitive, and so forcefully anti-mainstream that it goes completely full circle back into being generic.

Serj, hands down.
I've only hear They Say by SoB, but I have the entire Serj Album. I personally love Serj's stuff, but havent heard enough of Daron's stuff to really compare. so to be fair I will compare Daron's first single, "they say" to serj's first single "Empty Walls". I like Empty Walls better than They Say because Serj's vocals are more powerful and the lyrics have some meaning, while Daron's voice is a bit grating and his lyrics are so forcefully anti-mainstream it gets annoying about a minute into the song.

this is just my opinion, not a determined fact though.

EDIT: Hey i just realized i stole the forcefully anti-mainstream line from the user above me... I is sorry..

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Quote by an epic mistake

EDIT: Hey i just realized i stole the forcefully anti-mainstream line from the user above me... I is sorry..

No worries.

Great minds think alike?

But yeah, I think Daron is just trying way too hard, in many ways, and tries to hide the fact that he has nothing to say with lyrics that are abstract for the sheer sake of being as such, rather than to serve a purpose. Without much creativity, either, for that matter.
I'm pretty sure it was Daron who announced that SOAD was over and everyone else was like WTF?

I like Serj much better. I just never liked Daron much. Daron seems too cocky like to me. >_>
Serj is definitely more approachable to me. I do like SoB new single They Say but compared to Empty Walls it's just not as great in meaning. I mean I like lyrics a lot and Serj seems to deliver it to me. [Beethoven's **** was a bit weird though. O_O]

But in other words, Serj Tankian wins. xD
Quote by welcom2duhjungl
I'm pretty sure it was Daron who announced that SOAD was over and everyone else was like WTF?

I like Serj much better. I just never liked Daron much. Daron seems too cocky like to me. >_>
Serj is definitely more approachable to me. I do like SoB new single They Say but compared to Empty Walls it's just not as great in meaning. I mean I like lyrics a lot and Serj seems to deliver it to me. [Beethoven's **** was a bit weird though. O_O]

But in other words, Serj Tankian wins. xD

Beethoven's **** was one of the coolest songs on the album, up there with Sky Is Over, Lie Lie Lie, Baby, Feed Us, okay you know what, the whole album is kickass...

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Quote by Cryptorchild
Serj Tankian IS Buckethead, litterally.

...oh...

Im not sure whether that was positive or negative.

Plus, from what I can tell, serj is a proficient guitarist, pianist, singer, and bassist.

Daron is just a guitarist.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
I really can't decide which is better.. (pay no attention to my avatar :P)
but seriously.. they both just balanced each other out really well in soad.. separately it always seems like there's something missing.

about the versus thing.. i don't see anything wrong with it as long as people discuss the topic maturely and without flaming each other
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
Quote by Zach_F
...oh...

Im not sure whether that was positive or negative.

Plus, from what I can tell, serj is a proficient guitarist, pianist, singer, and bassist.

Daron is just a guitarist.

I have a conspiracy that Brian Carroll is a made-up name and Serj Tankian IS Buckethead.
Its probably not true, but you never know.
Tankian.

It's weird... Daron was the main music writer in SOAD, and I loved his singing with them, but SOB is just ear grating. Tankian, however, I liked his album almost as much as a SOAD album.
Quote by Cryptorchild
I have a conspiracy that Brian Carroll is a made-up name and Serj Tankian IS Buckethead.
Its probably not true, but you never know.

nah.. i don't think serj is a good enough guitarist to be buckethead
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...