Does anyone here own a 314ce? I tried one at guitar center, and I am seriously considering purchasing it. It felt very natural to play, and the sound was very crisp even. IThe problem is I tend to strum more and I here the auditorium style body is not ideal for strumming. Any thoughts?
They are certainly nice guitars.

The real issue with smaller bodied guitars is the volume. When strumming, it won't be as loud as a dread. If you are playing by yourself, then it really doesn't matter. But if you play in a group, then a dread would be better suited for strumming.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Good point. I never really put it into perspective like that. I play with other people unplugged, but I never thought of volume as an issue. Lookls like its time to find a used D-28.
I guess they aren't too common, but there is also a Taylor 315ce, which has a jumbo sized body, better suited for heavy strumming. But Taylors are MEANT to be played plugged in. Why have an amazing Expression System, but not use it?
The 310-CE is a dreadnought.

I suggest you take a look at the Grand Symphony series. It's a new body shape from Taylor

GS5 Cedar / Mahogany
GS6 Spruce / Maple
GS7 Cedar / Indian Rosewood
GS8 Spruce / Indian Rosewood

Or the DN series

DN3 Spruce / Sapele
DN4 Spruce / Ovangkol
DN5 Spruce / Tropical American Mahogany
DN8 Spruce / Indian Rosewood

These don't have the Taylor Expression system in them so the prices start from $999 and go up to $2098.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by Chips-
The 310-CE is a dreadnought.

I suggest you take a look at the Grand Symphony series. It's a new body shape from Taylor

GS5 Cedar / Mahogany
GS6 Spruce / Maple
GS7 Cedar / Indian Rosewood
GS8 Spruce / Indian Rosewood

Or the DN series

DN3 Spruce / Sapele
DN4 Spruce / Ovangkol
DN5 Spruce / Tropical American Mahogany
DN8 Spruce / Indian Rosewood

These don't have the Taylor Expression system in them so the prices start from $999 and go up to $2098.

Taylor can be confusing in their sizes...

Personally, I have a Taylor dreadnought (410-ltd) and a Larrivee OM-09 (similar to the 314 in shape) and I rarely feel like the Larrivee is too quiet. I'd say go for the 314. You'll like it.

-J
Last edited by Nims at Aug 22, 2008,
Quote by Nims
The GS is not really a new shape.

Bob himself says it's a new shape in this video (at 8:10)
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by Chips-
Bob himself says it's a new shape in this video (at 8:10)

I stand corrected in a few ways.

First, I meant to say that the GS was the size of the "x16", not the "x14"... But I was under the impression it was the same guitar sans ce... I was under that impression after spending a lot of time playing and talking about both guitars at a local shop, as well as touring the Taylor factory.

I was wrong!

I know for the sure in the acoustic/electric realm, the x12, x14, and x16 increase in size. I am fairly sure the GC, GA and GS increase in size. I thought they were the same three sizes but apparently not.

In any case, I own a 410-ltd and I love it, but it's a little big for me. I've been looking at an 814ce closely lately... I love the x14 shape.

I hope I haven't overly confused the issue for the TS.

-James (learning every day!)
I really did love the 314ce. I really hated that it had electronics in it. I would probably never put them to use, and I would feel bad paying for it. They had a used 314, but it did not sound near as clear. Maybe it was just the old strings on it