So I am looking to buy a new amp and I dont want a tube amp because I'm not in a band (but i might be somethime this year) and i need to sound good at bedroom volumes I was wondering if the Randall G3+ is a good amp. And is it really worth it to get the 300 watt version over the 150? Because I heard that SS watts sound quieter than tube watts. And will i get less clipping at higher volumes if I get the 300?
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

Squint your eyes to see clearly. Blur reality to make it real.

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"It's not illegal if I don't"
"k, koo"

Imagine if life was like that.

Awesome
150w solid state still might be too loud
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Ok, i guess i'll go with the 150 (it's cheaper anyway) But i have another question: will a Vader 4x12 be a good cab for this amp? If not what cab would be good?

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"k, koo"

Awesome
If your just playing it in your bedroom I wouldn't suggest a halfstack. It'll be wayyyy too loud. 150 SS watts is still deafening. And if you're getting the halfstack for future gigging a tube combo or lower wattage halfstack would be a better bet.
Last edited by McCheese at Aug 22, 2008,
I play many types of metal, what would you recommend?

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"k, koo"

Awesome
budget?
new or used?
home or gig? home
type of music? (there are many kinds of metal - like what?)
can you play said amps somewhere?

Sadly, I've never played a Randall but I hear they make great SS amps as well tube amps. Good luck,
This amp is actually pretty badass.
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
budget?
new or used?
home or gig? home
type of music? (there are many kinds of metal - like what?)
can you play said amps somewhere?

Sadly, I've never played a Randall but I hear they make great SS amps as well tube amps. Good luck,

Not sure about the budget. I am in high school and i will be getting a job pretty soon and i dont know how much you can get from like, a part time job at best buy.

I wouldn't mind going used if i could find a good deal.

I mostly play in my bedroom but I'm trying to get a band started with some of my friends but am still looking for a drummer and bassist so if that happens i'll need something that can handle loud volumes

I play stuff like Disturbed, As i Lay dying, Necrophagist, Megadeth, Lamb of god, Metallica, Opeth, Slipknot, lots.

I only have one music store in my town (a mom & pop store) and they dont have many amps at all. For metal all they have is a 5150, JCM 900, and a Randall MTS, So I cant play the G3 anywhere.

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"k, koo"

Awesome
Thanks for added info. That helps. Seems like the Randall gets a lot of praise but maybe someone can comment it doing the bands you want to do. Needing to get over a drummer is important but looks like you would be covered with this amp.

getting a job is always good for GAS (gear acquisition syndrome). If you can get a job at Best Buy that may actually be a very good idea. They sell Gear now over the internet and I hear that BB employees get a nice discount on stuff. I don't think they carry the Randall but still good to know.

can you check your local Craigslist.com just for fun? Do you know how to do that?

later,
yeah, i saw that when i searched High to Low

not a lot of Peavey tho. I think it was Bandit 112 and a JSX head. Amp wise. They had lots of other Peavey stuff tho.

i was kinda hopin' they would have the Crates and Vypyrs just I got a BB gift card.