Ok couldn't think of a Title. But anyways how long did it take most of you to be able to recognize a sound and be able to know where it is on the fretboard. Like in a song, know where they are and where they are going. I know theory will help this out greatly but just by ear. And then being able to take some sounds in your head and put it into the fretboard.

I can kinda do it now, even with a decent theory, it's still alot of trial and error. I realize praticing it will help I just want to know how everybody else goes about doing it.
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
just comes naturally after awhile i guess iv been playing 2 years and i still use trial and error some of the time
Oh ok. So I've been playing pretty steadily for 3 months. Shouldn't really expect to much then. The main reason I ask is like I was listening to Journey- Open Arms, calming song really, anyways, I was listening to that and towards the end (I didn't have my guitar at the moment) I found my self singing a little solo lick to go along with it. Now I knew what area I would be in but not really what scale or exact notes I would want to use. So today my goal is to try and get it down the way I want it.
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
Well, for starters, figure out what key it's in. That will give you a general idea of what scale to use.
Almost a year for me now and I still cant do it. Im getting better though. Its going to take time and Im not talking 3, 4 or 5 months....
After about two years of dedicated practice over a twenty year time period, I still can't do this. But I haven't really practiced this skill yet. LOL I can usually guess within a couple of frets though.
It takes a long time. Very long.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.