Poll: Do you think the wod "Faggot" should be censored in this Forum?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you think the wod "Faggot" should be censored in this Forum?
Yes
61 15%
No
353 85%
Voters: 414.
Page 1 of 6
Seeing how words like "nigger" are censored as they are offensive slurs to a group of people, why isn't the word "faggot" censored? Do you think it should be? Now I know the British use it as slang for cigarettes, but how often is it used in this forum with that definition? Do you think using the word "faggot" as a derogative term is offensive to homosexuals? Discuss.
||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
wat

Seriously nah.
Last edited by kevC4 at Aug 22, 2008,
If we're talking about UG I don't care. If we're talking about an FCC censorship then no,
Patrick Star of The Jelly fishing Club PM darkstar2644 to Join
No because it actually means a bundle of sticks, unless of course you find bieng called a bundle of sticks offensive, then you deserve to be called one
I think its time to pack your things lets go,
To a place where we both know,
And dont worry, I'll drive real slow,
Spend some time before we go..
inb4 sum1 calls TS faggot!

Kidding.
But in all seriousness i dont think its that bad of a thing, everyone knows that someone calling someone else a "faggot" just makes them an ignorant scum****.
no, but i don't think "******" should be censored either
You are now blinking manually
Quote by Keyphur

this man speaks truth.
Patrick Star of The Jelly fishing Club PM darkstar2644 to Join
Quote by Keyphur

How come, is it not offensive to black people? (I'm assuming you typed "nigger")
Why do you feel offended for other groups of people?

Also, I don't like censorship on these forums, everyone knows what you're saying anyway. The censors could at least change the words to something funny like "trouserwaffle".
****** should not be censored either. Neither should **** or **** or *****. No words should. Words are not inherently bad, it is just the situation in which you use them. It is all about intent. The words just give you the firepower, the sentiment was still there, they just make it easier to express the feeling. I can say I despise african americans because they are a lazy idiotic group of people who are concerned with nothing more than violence and sex and it is equally as offensive as saying I hate ******s. Trying to censor words because they hurt people's feelings is idiotic because you can use any combination of words to express the same idea.
Censorship is censorshit.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by MyImmortal
Of course not. That's a great song. (MSI for the people who've never heard of it)

I've
Been Denied
All The Best
Ultra Sex

gotta love msi

and honestly.. censorship is stupid. don't say anything mean if u don't want to offend anyone. and even if you are gay you have to learn to not give a **** if people call you a fag. same goes for derogatory terms for any group of people.

edit: ^ ****ing censorship censoring the ****ing word **** (the synonymous but somehow offensive word for fecal matter) **** **** ****
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
Quote by Fender_M1A
****** should not be censored either. Neither should **** or **** or *****. No words should. Words are not inherently bad, it is just the situation in which you use them. It is all about intent. The words just give you the firepower, the sentiment was still there, they just make it easier to express the feeling. I can say I despise african americans because they are a lazy idiotic group of people who are concerned with nothing more than violence and sex and it is equally as offensive as saying I hate ******s. Trying to censor words because they hurt people's feelings is idiotic because you can use any combination of words to express the same idea.

Very well put.

Perhaps "Censor" was a poor choice of a word, seeing how this is a guitar website full of "rebels". With that being said however, seeing as the words you mentioned as examples are censored, and I doubt that will change anytime soon, wouldn't it make sense to censor the word "faggot" as well? Because it too is offensive to a group of people. Does anyone think it is disrespectful to exclude "faggot" in the censorship? Take the word censorship out of the equation, and its pretty much a list of "bad" words, does anyone think "faggot" is also a "bad" word? What makes it different from the other slurs?
Last edited by Jimmyyoung at Aug 22, 2008,
I'm bi, but me and my gay/bi friends actually use it as a term of endearment, sort of like what happened to '******'.

such as:
friend "sup fag"
me "nm queerbait"
*make out*

^true story, btw
Quote by Jimmyyoung
Very well put.

Perhaps "Censor" was a poor choice of a word, seeing how this is a guitar website full of "rebels". With that being said however, seeing as the words you mentioned as examples are censored, and I doubt that will change anytime soon, wouldn't it make sense to censor the word "faggot" as well, because it too is offensive to a group of people. Does anyone think it is disrespectful to exclude "faggot" in the censorship? Take the word censorship out of the equation, and its pretty much a list of "bad" words, does anyone think "faggot" is also a "bad" word? What makes it different from the other slurs?

I'm sure people find the words spic, gook, kike, cracker, etc. offensive, yet they do not get censored.
Quote by Fender_M1A
I'm sure people find the words spic, gook, kike, cracker, etc. offensive, yet they do not get censored.

the problem with cracker, for example, is that you can't censor it because its more common usage (as in graham crackers or saltines) is not offensive at all. same goes for other words that i can't think of atm.
Quote by Trowzaa
wow kike is about as offensive as ******........

I mean you don't hear ppl saying kike... like at all.

faggot is so overused as a non offensive word anyway.
Quote by Fender_M1A

Its quite obvious that "faggot" gets tossed around more than all of these words put together. It has become, pathetically, the norm for insults, which blatantly casts homosexuals in a negative light hourly.
Quote by vartanspartan
the problem with cracker, for example, is that you can't censor it because its more common usage (as in graham crackers or saltines) is not offensive at all. same goes for other words that i can't think of atm.

How about honky? Faggot has alternate meanings that are often used as well. What I am trying to get as is that banning certain slurs does nothing, because if someone truly wants to express their idea, they can do so without resorting to said words. I can say homosexuals are the scum of the earth or caucasians are land stealing imperialist pigs, and I still have statements that not only use "PC" phrases, but are just as offensive as saying Faggot or Cracker. Censoring a word does nothing, the sentiment is there. Words are hollow and can be morphed to fit any need.
Last edited by Fender_M1A at Aug 22, 2008,
Quote by Fender_M1A
How about honky? Faggot has alternate meanings that are often used as well. What I am trying to get as is that banning certain slurs does nothing, because if someone truly wants to express their idea, they can do so without resorting to said words. I can say homosexuals are the scum of the earth or caucasians are land stealing imperialist pigs, and I still have statements that not only use "PC" phrases, but are just as offensive as saying Faggot or Cracker. Censoring a word does nothing, the sentiment is there. Words are hollow and can be morphed to fit any need.

Well Che, words are censored on here no matter what. Thats not the point.
Quote by Jimmyyoung
lol, the thread title is asking if an (allegedly) offensive slur should be censored. It's a fitting discussion.
Quote by Fender_M1A

I completely agree. That's never really made sense to me. The idea that a word referring to something or someone is offensive just because the language considers it derogatory. Also with words like s h i t. Maybe it can be argued that it is offensive but consider that if a young child said "I need to go poop," it would be accepted much better than if he were to say "I need to go take a ****".
Quote by Trowzaa
Quote by Jimmyyoung

1) Don't ever compare me to that terrorist again.

2) You asked if faggot should be censored. I said no and gave my reason. Being that censoring a word does nothing other than limit one word. Anyone with have a brain could string together an offensive sentence or phrase without using it. Do I think faggot is a bad word? No. Equally I do not think ****** or kike or ***** or **** or **** are bad words. Words cannot be bad or good, only the sentiment behind them and the situation in which they are used.

Quote by vartanspartan
I completely agree. That's never really made sense to me. The idea that a word referring to something or someone is offensive just because the language considers it derogatory. Also with words like s h i t. Maybe it can be argued that it is offensive but consider that if a young child said "I need to go poop," it would be accepted much better than if he were to say "I need to go take a ****".

I think because we have made defecating somehow a taboo and no no discussion topic, when in reality it is just as normal as breathing. **** is just one more word you can use for the act of expelling waste from your anus.
Last edited by Fender_M1A at Aug 22, 2008,
Quote by Fender_M1A
1) Don't ever compare me to that terrorist again.

2) You asked if faggot should be censored. I said no and gave my reason. Being that censoring a word does nothing other than limit one word. Anyone with have a brain could string together an offensive sentence or phrase without using it. Do I think faggot is a bad word? No. Equally I do not think ****** or kike or ***** or **** or **** are bad words. Words cannot be bad or good, only the sentiment behind them and the situation in which they are used.

My bad, I saw Che in your avatar and didn't read what it said below.

Fair enough.
Quote by Jimmyyoung
My bad, I saw Che in your avatar and didn't read what it said below.

Fair enough.

it should only be uncensored if ur gay or singing the song Heythere shitty shitty fag fag shitty shitty fag fag how do you do
Last edited by gibson sg LP at Aug 22, 2008,
I don't think anything on this site should be censored, save the posting of explicit links and images.
Quote by Jimmyyoung
How come, is it not offensive to black people? (I'm assuming you typed "nigger")

Because this political correctness is killing our country [America], people have to be on edge about what they say or it could potentially destroy their lively hood, Don Imus for example, I mean he didn't even say nigger, but he got berated endlessly by the media. Its illustrates how strangled our understanding of the 1st amendment is.

and yes, the word is offensive to black people, and as someone said earlier their are numerous racial slurs pertaining to other ethnicities that are just as or more offensive than ******, but no one seems to care when they are used.

the fact is the word exists and it does cause hurt in some cases but simply ignoring it doesn't do a damn thing.

/rant
You are now blinking manually