So, I just got Guitar Pro 5 and all I have is my acoustic. So I thought why not get some good practice. However after going through my music I realised that all of the stuff I have is just easy chord progression with the exeption of artists that are way out of my league. So, I'm looking for songs that can help me to build techniques and experience. Songs that aren't just chords picked out. But nothing so complex I want to break my acoustic in an hour . . . Any suggestions.

P.S. I play all types of music exept country. So whatever you've got, suggest!!!(It also doesn't have to be on Guitar Pro, but that would help)
Quote by die_kenny_die
ate a girl out on her period...

i regret nothing.

I know how to shred paper, does that count?
Well before I say anything, what are your interests? I would recommend some easy John Petrucci stuff, but that's a bit of an oxymoron.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

lmao, yeah easy Petrucci . . . . If there is stuff he has that I could try I would be interested. Ummm I'm really into all genres like I said besides country. I listen to a lot of stuff but I only have a standard acoustic, so if it requires nylon strings or anything like that I cant try it. I don't have a specific genre. I listen to stuff from Elliott Smith to Killswitch Engage . . . so anything you've got. Toss it.
Quote by die_kenny_die

i regret nothing.

Well I would personally recommend some Megadeth or Metallica, honestly since it's a pretty fast genre (I'm talking about the early stuff), it helps you build accuracy and speed together, some stuff I used starting up that would do that, especially build you down picking is stuff like:
Master of Puppets
Seek and Destroy
High Speed Dirt
Holy Wars
Four Horseman
Whiplash

Some of them are harder then others so just skim over them to see what you think is reasonable, but honestly pick one of them that's harder, you only get better if you take bites and play harder music then you actually think you can play.
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist

. . . maybe you missed the whole ACOUSTIC part of the post. I've been playing for 4 years. Mostly electric. So I know all of those songs, and can play them . . . although not great or accurate. But I'm looking for more acoustic styled songs. Not anything that has distortion or effects in the original song. . . Unplugged is what I'm going for I guess you could say.
Quote by die_kenny_die

i regret nothing.

Ok lmao, try stuff like Fade to Black by Metallica, Nothing Else Matters, etc. That's all I really know.
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist

eric clapton
jack johnson
john mayer maybe?
and if you're up for a challange go for tommy emmanuel's angelina (or any of his songs).
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
How about Zeppelin: Over The Hills and Far Away, Ramble On, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Storm Stenvold
~ http://www.guitarteacher.com
~ See It, Hear It, Play It!
~ Free Video Guitar Lessons, Jam Tracks + More!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm not a big Zeppelin fan *prepares to be stabbed* But, yea those are good songs. I'm looking more to get into fingerstyle picking. I've been trying Tommy Emanuel . . . .I now want to break my fingers off and throw them away. I can play Jack Johnson and John Mayor . . . Something a bit more complex, but not godly complex.
Quote by die_kenny_die

i regret nothing.

Hey mate i have a good recomendation that might fit your intentions. Trying learning some of Tomi Paldanius's arrangments. There pretty simply, some more challenging and there classifyed as fingerstyle.

Heres his youtube vid where you can check out some of his arrangments... Good luck.
Try one of Antoine Dufour, Andy Mckee, or Don Ross's songs. Some of them just sound hard, but they're actually easier than they sound. I looked at a lot of the songs and I picked Antoine Dufour's "Ashes in the Sea" first. The song was not too hard to learn, but it wasn't easy either. Here are all of the techniques used in the song that I can think of:

Fingerpicking
Slap Bass (slapping with the thumb basically)
Hammer-ons
Pull-offs
Slides
Shift Slides
Partial Barres
The grazing of strings with the back of the nail on the middle finger
Natural Harmonics
Tap Harmonics
Pulled-off Natural Harmonics (after doing a tap harmonic)
Pulled off Harmonics all using the fretting hand (example: Hammering on 6th string, 3rd fret, then pulling off and dragging the finger across all strings below it while the pinkie finger is barred over the 5th fret harmonic)
Tapping with the fretting hand
Tapping with the picking hand
Pull-offs with the picking hand
Percussive banging and knocking against the drum with the palm of the hand and the knuckles

That's all I can think of right now that Ashes in the Sea uses. I hope that's enough material for you to learn
holy ****. I love that song but the chance of me getting that done are very slim. Maybe I'm just not patient enough . . . . I'm working on the song though. Great suggestion thanks.
Quote by die_kenny_die

i regret nothing.

ashes in the sea isnt that hard, you should be able to find a tutorial on youtube for it, you should also try spiritual groove by antoine dufour
try some classical music
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
dude the perfect technical step up from jack johnson is slightly stoopid. try closer to the sun, collie man, and mellow mood. not too hard but definatley more technically requiring than jack johnson.
dave matthews might.. just.. be.. god..

Quote by gregs1020
yes, pointing it at your head will send the sound towards your head.

it's the same with guns too, before you go testing that one.
Eric Clapton> Yeah sure. just right for [basically] a beginner. Try something simpler as Clapton is never simple regardless of what he is playing. He is an absolute master muso that requires years of practice to emulate.
Last edited by Akabilk at Aug 28, 2008,