Page 1 of 2
my setup is slightly difficult to use because of the enormously powerful gain i have (combined with very hot pickups). basically, i have not been able to find a noise gate/ killer/ reducer/ compressor that does a good enough job of killing the noise.

i was looking through musiciansfriend and i saw this ISP decimator noise reducer (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ISP-Technologies-Decimator-Noise-Reduction-Pedal?sku=150368).

the way they phrase things on this page, it would appear that this is one of the most powerful noise killers that i would be able to buy.

I would like opinions on this pedal, if anyone has any (preferably from someone that owns/has used one in high gain situation), or alternate suggestions for a powerful noise gate.

i need something that will kill any noise coming from anywhere, including strings that i am not playing. basically, if the sound isn't me playing the note, then i dont want to hear it.

note: i am currently using the noise gate on my digitech rp250, set to about 40. it kills noise when im not playing, but it just seems like when i am playing, i hear noise that is not what im playing.

note#2: this is NOT a question of my ability to mute the strings. i am adequate at playing clean, to say the least.

edit#1: i saw the thread here http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=940873, but its a poll so it seems like more of opinion/favorite rather then most powerful.
Last edited by SpeedLives at Aug 22, 2008,
I say... turn down the distortion, work on your technique, and yes... almost everyone is going to agree that the ISP Decimator is the best noisegate out there.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Don't worry about pedals, save up for something better then your spider.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Noise Gates are for killing noise that comes from your amp when your not playing. Honesly i Know you said in your "notes" that its not a question of your ability to mute the strings.....but i think it is.

BUT in an attempt to not totally sound like an ass, it could just be your amp (listing it would be helpful) it could also be your power source, or your distance from your amp.

Basicly this is what I tell anyone who has this problem.
Do the following:
1. Turn your gain down to about 90%-95% percent of what you would usually put it at.
2. Adjust your treble on your eq
3. stand as far away from your amp as possible

EDIT: Ok I am 1000000000000000% sure it is your amp
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
He has a spider, so DON'T GET A NOISE GATE MAN IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY WITH THAT.

Lol, now that I got your attention, normally a good amp will not fuzz what so ever, it comes from your pedal chain, all fuzz comes from there almost 99.9999% of the time, it's your amp, you should save up for a nice cheap tube combo, until you build your music ears better.
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist

Quote by SpeedLives
note: i am currently using the noise gate on my digitech rp250, set to about 40. it kills noise when im not playing, but it just seems like when i am playing, i hear noise that is not what im playing.

unfortunately there's no way to filter the noise underneath your playing. it's part of the signal, and basically you can't take it apart.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by DSchmitty
He has a spider, so DON'T GET A NOISE GATE MAN IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY WITH THAT.

Lol, now that I got your attention, normally a good amp will not fuzz what so ever, it comes from your pedal chain, all fuzz comes from there almost 99.9999% of the time, it's your amp, you should save up for a nice cheap tube combo, until you build your music ears better.

tube amps don't make your signal hum-free.
i know no one wants to believe that line 6 is capable of anything remarkable. i am the type of person that doesn't use prejudice when deciding on what i do and don't like. hence, I !@#%ing hate les pauls, and i dont think line 6 gear is all that bad.

By "its your amp", im going to assume you mean the level of gain. i already knew the level of gain was causing the noise. turning down the gain removes the brutality of my tone however, and that is unacceptable...hence the need for an alternative way to remove the noise.

as for working on my technique, attempting to play on my setup has made my muting technique quite developed. i have played on other people's rigs, and there was absolutely no noise when i played (even when they have no noise gate/control of any kind). i will never cease to work on my technique though...so kind of a moot point anyway.

as for saving up for something better then my current amp: i have no need for any intermediate upgrades between my amp and what is likely to be my final amp purchase. What i mean is, i will not be buying a new amp unless it is a tube marshall or line 6 full stack. the quality of sound, to my ears (and those of everyone that has heard me play on my setup), is fine; and the volume is more then ample for sitting in my room playing. I will not need a new amp for quite some time (when, if ever, i am getting payed to play music is when i will likely buy a new amp)
Yes they do, it's your pedal chain that give you hum and hiss, a dry signal won't hum what so ever unless you got bad tubes, or an overall crap amp.
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist

Quote by SpeedLives
i know no one wants to believe that line 6 is capable of anything remarkable. i am the type of person that doesn't use prejudice when deciding on what i do and don't like. hence, I !@#%ing hate les pauls, and i dont think line 6 gear is all that bad.

By "its your amp", im going to assume you mean the level of gain. i already knew the level of gain was causing the noise. turning down the gain removes the brutality of my tone however, and that is unacceptable...hence the need for an alternative way to remove the noise.

as for working on my technique, attempting to play on my setup has made my muting technique quite developed. i have played on other people's rigs, and there was absolutely no noise when i played (even when they have no noise gate/control of any kind). i will never cease to work on my technique though...so kind of a moot point anyway.

as for saving up for something better then my current amp: i have no need for any intermediate upgrades between my amp and what is likely to be my final amp purchase. What i mean is, i will not be buying a new amp unless it is a tube marshall or line 6 full stack. the quality of sound, to my ears (and those of everyone that has heard me play on my setup), is fine; and the volume is more then ample for sitting in my room playing. I will not need a new amp for quite some time (when, if ever, i am getting payed to play music is when i will likely buy a new amp)

It's your amp, not your gain, not your playing, get a tube amp, you will eventually understand.
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist

Quote by DSchmitty
Yes they do, it's your pedal chain that give you hum and hiss, a dry signal won't hum what so ever unless you got bad tubes, or an overall crap amp.

You're an idiot.

Every guitar is going to pick up 60hz hum. EVERY guitar. You play your guitar next to electronics, or a fluorescent light, it will hum. Doesn't matter what amp you have.

tube does not equal quiet signal.

Speedlives, the noise you hear when you're playing is most likely your pick scraping across the strings. Listen to some records, you can hear it. I noticed a lot on RHCP's Stadium Arcadium, recently.
I would consider shielding your guitar. It won't totally fix your problem, but it will reduce it, without changing your tone.
Also, don't play near electronics.
i have uploaded a few recordings of me messing around in the playing skills part of the profile. i recommend the tapping one to see the level of what im talking about.

edit: every time i go to make a new post, 3 more pop up...nother response coming...
Quote by SpeedLives
i have uploaded a few recordings of me messing around in the playing skills part of the profile. i recommend the tapping one to see the level of what im talking about.

edit: every time i go to make a new post, 3 more pop up...nother response coming...

Er...Sorry. That just sounds like the extraneous noise is coming from your technique. I don't tap much, but it wouldn't hurt to control your finger pressure a bit better. the strings sound like they're bouncing around after you hit them.
................. wow ....................................................... ok ........ A. Your amp didn't sound that bad......... B. that was some of the worst playing I have ever herd............. Actually it was the worst playing I have ever herd........... Congrats you can play fast......... we get it........ I can to if I just play random 16th notes on my guitar......

sirously learn a ****ing scale
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by DSchmitty
It's your amp, not your gain, not your playing, get a tube amp, you will eventually understand.

did you read the part of the post i made that was basically a response just to you?

i didn't ask opinions on whether i should get a new amp or not.

anyways, if i could afford a marshall tube full stack, dont you think i would already have one .

your response of "buy a tube amp" is not helping anything. and i am sure i am not the first person you have said that to. take note here: you're not helping anyone by saying that. im not trying to be an !@#, just saying that you're really not helping.

i should make note that the noise i am getting is not terrible, it is actually quite minor (on a good day). im not looking for something to fix a huge problem, just to fix a small problem and make things perfect.
forsaknazrael: it very well could be my strings flapping around. my guitar is a frankenstein in the most hardcore sense of the word. its good for a first guitar, but it is far from perfect. i am hopefully going to get a job that will make me enough money to have a custom guitar built for me by my friends.

Ninja Penguin77...

1. i didn't ask your opinion on how well i play.

2. i have NEVER had a guitar or music lesson, i am trying everything i can to learn music theory. but i live in the middle of nowhere, so *forgive me* if there are no music teachers around.

3. i recorded that 6 months after picking up a guitar for the first time
----3a: i bet you my technique beats the !@#% out of what yours was half a year after you started playing
----3b: when i first started playing, i decided it would be most efficient to completely focus on learning technique, then learn theory later. not that i hold anything against theory; it is simply more efficient to focus on only 1 thing at once, and do things 1 at a time. with technique at a satisfactory point, i am now starting to learn theory.
Try for a noise reducer rather than a noise gate. Buy a high quality lead, and at the minimum a filtered power board, if not a power conditioner. Shield your guitar, or get it shielded by someone else. Use a stiff, nylon pick. TURN DOWN YOUR GAIN.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by SpeedLives
forsaknazrael: it very well could be my strings flapping around. my guitar is a frankenstein in the most hardcore sense of the word. its good for a first guitar, but it is far from perfect.

Well, every Frankensteined guitar could benefit from a good pro setup...But I would look at your technique first. Slow down, attempt it cleanly. Speed up a bit once you get the hang of it...Rinse, repeat as necessary.
Quote by Cofflecakes
Try for a noise reducer rather than a noise gate. Buy a high quality lead, and at the minimum a filtered power board, if not a power conditioner. Shield your guitar, or get it shielded by someone else. Use a stiff, nylon pick. TURN DOWN YOUR GAIN.

"...noise reducer rather than a noise gate..." so your opinion on the ISP one i was looking at is a negative?

"Buy a high quality lead, and at the minimum a filtered power board, if not a power conditioner" i am afraid i dont understand what you mean by "lead", and by board/conditioner i am guessing replace my surge protector with something proper?

"Shield your guitar, or get it shielded by someone else" roger, will have that done whenever i can

"Use a stiff, nylon pick" wouldn't use anything else

"TURN DOWN YOUR GAIN" Not unless i can find a suitable alternative to what ive got...which will prove to be difficult. I will only do this as an absolute last resort.
Quote by forsaknazrael
...But I would look at your technique first. Slow down, attempt it cleanly. Speed up a bit once you get the hang of it...Rinse, repeat as necessary.

that was 6 months ago. i am much better then i was then, and the noise is not nearly as much of a problem as it was then. and i will always try to improve my technique as much as humanly possible.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You're an idiot.

Every guitar is going to pick up 60hz hum. EVERY guitar. You play your guitar next to electronics, or a fluorescent light, it will hum. Doesn't matter what amp you have.

tube does not equal quiet signal.

Speedlives, the noise you hear when you're playing is most likely your pick scraping across the strings. Listen to some records, you can hear it. I noticed a lot on RHCP's Stadium Arcadium, recently.
I would consider shielding your guitar. It won't totally fix your problem, but it will reduce it, without changing your tone.
Also, don't play near electronics.

+1
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by SpeedLives
that was 6 months ago. i am much better then i was then, and the noise is not nearly as much of a problem as it was then. and i will always try to improve my technique as much as humanly possible.

you dont get what im saying. technique is worthless without proper practice and theory.

Playing streight 16th notes as fast as you can doesn't equal music.
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
did you not read what i said?

learning theory was NOT possible for me at that point in my playing. there was simply no way to learn it.

but NOW i am. there.

that was short. did you read it this time?
the last few posts have digressed too far

back to the point: from those that have actually responded to my original question, that ISP decimator is the most powerful noise remover available?

someone mentioned i need a reducer, not a gate. the ISP looks like it falls into the category of reducer?
Quote by SpeedLives
did you not read what i said?

learning theory was NOT possible for me at that point in my playing. there was simply no way to learn it.

but NOW i am. there.

that was short. did you read it this time?

I started learning theory by myself so thats not an excuse.

I do however feel a need to apolagize becasue I have been an ass to you but its just one of my pet peeves when someone thinks that there "learning" guitar just by playing fast.
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
OH MY ****ING GOD!!! THAT SOUND WILL NOT GO AWAY FROM YOUR AMP..... PERIOD

THE CLOSEST YOUR GOING TO GET IT BY IMPROVING YOU PLAYING

A NEW NOISE GATE WONT DO ANYTING FOR YOU AT ALL

god for someone who bitches to people for not listening you dont do alot yourself
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
"I started learning theory by myself so thats not an excuse."

i dont believe for half a second that you taught yourself theory with no medium whatsoever, be it books, the internet, etc.

"OH MY ****ING GOD!!! THAT SOUND WILL NOT GO AWAY FROM YOUR AMP..... PERIOD

god for someone who bitches to people for not listening you dont do alot yourself"

again, if you would have read what i said. the noise problem has drastically decreased since the time of that recording.

and if it seems like i am not reading certain things, i am not ignoring them. i read them. but i don't respond to things that i feel an intelligent person should have gathered already, nor ones that i have already written a response to elsewhere.

ps: writing in all caps does not make your points any more valid or understandable. it just makes you look like an !@# hole.
I learned theory by sitting down and studying my guitar and I have become a much better player for it.

I'm done with this pissing match over a pointless therad at this poit

EDIT: I already stated I was an ass....... see what I mean about the listening?
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
again, i will attempt to put this thread back onto topic.

the question remains, what is the best noise reducer on the market? it would appear to me that the IPS decimator is, and i want to know whether or not there are contenders with this pedal.

if you are just viewing this thread for the first time, you may ignore much of what was written previously. much of it is not on topic.
Argh... heard the clips and damn. Practice some more.

And if what you're complaining about is the hissing sound then no, a noise gate isn't going to get rid of it while you're playing.

TURN DOWN THE GAIN!!!

THAT, will bring the hissing a bit down. And if you're so concerned with doing that because it will take away the "brutalness" of your playing, get a good eq pedal to compensate for it.

Also, ninja penguin77 is right... for someone who complains about not being listened you really do know how to do the trick.

And seriously, learn some theory. Technique is nothing without theory.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
Argh... heard the clips and damn. Practice some more.

And if what you're complaining about is the hissing sound then no, a noise gate isn't going to get rid of it while you're playing.

TURN DOWN THE GAIN!!!

THAT, will bring the hissing a bit down. And if you're so concerned with doing that because it will take away the "brutalness" of your playing, get a good eq pedal to compensate for it.

Also, ninja penguin77 is right... for someone who complains about not being listened you really do know how to do the trick.

And seriously, learn some theory. Technique is nothing without theory.

HIGH FIVE
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
OH MY ****ING GOD!!! THAT SOUND WILL NOT GO AWAY FROM YOUR AMP..... PERIOD

god for someone who bitches to people for not listening you dont do alot yourself
Easy killer.

Well TS, you need to understand what exactly these pedals do. The noise gate completely blocks all frequencies over a certain amount from being amplified.

However if you just have a lot of hum and hiss, putting a noise gate between your guitar and amp will definitely help you out.

To the guy that said the majority of the hum and hiss comes from pedals, you're a complete idiot. If your guitar isn't properly shielded, that is exponentially worse than your chain. If it is properly shielded, the amount of hum from pedals still isn't near the amount that an unshielded guitar gives off.

I'd get http://www.zzounds.com/item--ISPDECIMATORG if you can afford it, because it can fix preamp hiss AND guitar hiss, but if not http://www.zzounds.com/item--ISPDECIMATOR will do the job.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
1. ignore the clips
2. thank you for finally putting a reasonable suggestion out. an eq pedal. i will look into that.
3. i do read every single post. notice how i respond to every single point 1 at a time? if i miss something, it is because the post occurs when i am in the middle of making a new post.

4. for the last time, i am learning theory. i dont want to have to repeat this again.

edit: removed, because it is only being misunderstood. was excessive to put down anyway
Quote by SpeedLives
1. ignore the clips
2. thank you for finally putting a reasonable suggestion out. an eq pedal. i will look into that.
3. i do read every single post. notice how i respond to every single point 1 at a time? if i miss something, it is because the post occurs when i am in the middle of making a new post.

4. for the last time, i am learning theory. i dont want to have to repeat this again.

someone with insight into human reaction may think that when i say i have improved drastically from when that recording was created may think that i am simply saying that because i believe my technique to be godly, and that there is no way i could be that bad. i would share your suspicion, except that i have recently played in the presence an accomplished guitarist, and he expressed that he was impressed and had no complaints on my playing.

We have the future lead guitarist of Dragonforce here folks
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
thank you rwalby9, you appear to have good knowledge of what your talking about.

i will save up for the g string version then, because it seems like that is the final step in noise reduction pedals. i didn't see it earlier on musiciansfriend.

and im going to look into making sure my guitar has good shielding.

awhile back, someone mentioned "leads" and power conditioner? can someone enlighten me on these?
penguin, i thought you said you were leaving?

your spam isn't really appreciated.

i took note of any useful information that you put down, but it appears you are now just wasting time. please do so elsewhere.
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
We have the future lead guitarist of Dragonforce here folks
Dude quit being a prick to this guy. He has a simple question, and if you honestly knew anything you'd know a gate would be just fine for what he's asking. If he isn't playing a string, he doesn't want huge screeching in the background that you can get if you aren't running a gate. Its pretty straightforward.

1) Pull head out of ass.
2) Type something that actually helps him.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by SpeedLives
penguin, i thought you said you were leaving?

your spam isn't really appreciated.

i took note of any useful information that you put down, but it appears you are now just wasting time. please do so elsewhere.

I have stated over and over again you predicimint.

A noise gate will only cut off your signal when your not playing. When you ARE playing however all sound passes though. You cant simply get rid of it without turning down your distortion or upgrading your amp.

Just saying, your trying to fix something that you cannot.

Second your technique is nowhere near godly. And the fact that you think so only proves your ignorance and inability to accept new ideas and learn and develop as a player.
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
I have stated over and over again you predicimint.

A noise gate will only cut off your signal when your not playing. When you ARE playing however all sound passes though. You cant simply get rid of it without turning down your distortion or upgrading your amp.

Just saying, your trying to fix something that you cannot.

Second your technique is nowhere near godly. And the fact that you think so only proves your ignorance and inability to accept new ideas and learn and develop as a player.
That's not true at all . I've had amps (5150) that when using enough distortion and volume will screech even after hitting one note if you aren't using a gate. It can be very frustrating.

That Gstring Pedal will also run in the effects loop, so when your signal passes the preamp it'll cut off even more hiss and hum created by your preamp. It'll be a useful tool even when you upgrade to a better amp.

Leads simply describe the wires between pickups and pots, if they're talking about what I think they are. Power Conditioners are used to safely power your amps/rack gear/pedals and they cut off hum you would get from bad electricity outlets.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Page 1 of 2