seizureman
447 IQ
laugh if you must but i dont get it, how is it done, does anyone have a video ?
manmanster
UG Senior Member
494 IQ
Its really easy dude. Hold your pick below the first e string and strum upward. Then, instead of bringing the pick down over the strings, put your hand back down in the original position below the first e string and repeat. Basicallly its all upstrokes.
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
seizureman
447 IQ
yesssssss thank you so much, (i think my cousin was teaching me wrong on purpose lol)
axeslash
I got no learnin'
3,485 IQ
Oh you clever bastard.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
I'm a clever bastard and I sh*t all over ska music.

*facesits Neville Staple and curls off a big fat turd into his mouth*
Last edited by BrianApocalypse at Aug 22, 2008,
sargasm
1977 and we are going mad
1,817 IQ
I'll pretend I didn't see that
Hello.Kitty
UG Member
195 IQ
Ska strumming isn't easy if you're good at it.

Listen to a lot of Selecter and Specials and try to time the rhythms and also notice where you're strumming with your right hand[assuming your right handed].
axeslash
I got no learnin'
3,485 IQ
Same here, it has a more natural feel and allows me to play faster.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Hello.Kitty
UG Member
195 IQ
Operation Ivy strumming isn't easy to pick up if you do it perfect. Its not up and down really fast everytime and in fact most verses with ska strumming differ from each other for example Unity. At least thats what I get when I listen very closely. But when I listen to Operation Ivy to turn it all the way up and hear the little backup guitar chords and the overdubbing Jesse Michaels vocals where he lays 3 tracks down for a chorus and on one of them he'll routinely lose his note when singing out for a long period. Its a classic sound though.

And again if you're bashing ska strumming and think its easy I guarantee your ska sound and playing is awful.
StreetLight3989
1,950 IQ
Yeah I strum and I just mute on the downstroke. Also, upstrokes on the offbeat.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
^I'm not bashing it, but it is easy. I can play it fine.

Edit: Sorry, that was to Vodka.Kitty.
Last edited by werty22 at Aug 22, 2008,
Hello.Kitty
UG Member
195 IQ
I've seen so many ska bands have an awful rhythm guitarist its embarassing because they think its easy and keep doing the same upstrokes the whole song.
neidnarb11890
so bored with the USA
270 IQ
The only thing difficult about ska strumming would be having enough coordination between your hands so that your left hand is muting the strings when your right hand is down stroking Which may be difficult for some people to get the hang of, I suppose.

But seriously, it's not rocket science.
manmanster
UG Senior Member
494 IQ
rhythm guitar in general isn't a matter of technical proficiency but not only having good feel, but a great ear and ability to communicate and respond to the other instruments in the band, a set of skills arguably more difficult to develop than lead playing.
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
Yes, but lead players have to have those skills too.
JesusOfSbrbia
*-)
1,343 IQ
The basics of it are pretty easy. Strum down and up as normal, and mute the strings with your fretting hand when you strum downwards.

Once you've mastered that, practice the hell out of it and play along to a lot of different bands until you get a feel for some of the more advanced elements of it.

As mentioned before, Operation Ivy is a really good example. Personally, I taught myself ska strumming just by playing along to "Sound System" for an entire afternoon.

Examples of more advanced stuff you'll pick up from Op Ivy:

-Some of the downstrokes are muted (you'll hear the scratch noise), but some are not played at all. It's good to know when to mute a downstroke, and when to just skip it. It's also important to learn how to do that without losing the rhythm.
-Some of the timing is kinda awkward. Learn how long to hold each sounded chord. Some of the upstroked chords will be chopped off immediately after they're played, and some will ring out for a few beats. You just have to get a feel for it.
-Learn when to throw in a downstroke from time to time. In Op Ivy's ska songs, you'll find that the guitarist often sounds out the first downstroke in a measure, then the upstroke, then MUTES the next downstroke to resume normal ska strumming.

It's kinda hard to explain, but if you practice enough, you'll start to pick it up (lol).
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Hello.Kitty
UG Member
195 IQ
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia
The basics of it are pretty easy. Strum down and up as normal, and mute the strings with your fretting hand when you strum downwards.

Once you've mastered that, practice the hell out of it and play along to a lot of different bands until you get a feel for some of the more advanced elements of it.

As mentioned before, Operation Ivy is a really good example. Personally, I taught myself ska strumming just by playing along to "Sound System" for an entire afternoon.

Examples of more advanced stuff you'll pick up from Op Ivy:

-Some of the downstrokes are muted (you'll hear the scratch noise), but some are not played at all. It's good to know when to mute a downstroke, and when to just skip it. It's also important to learn how to do that without losing the rhythm.
-Some of the timing is kinda awkward. Learn how long to hold each sounded chord. Some of the upstroked chords will be chopped off immediately after they're played, and some will ring out for a few beats. You just have to get a feel for it.
-Learn when to throw in a downstroke from time to time. In Op Ivy's ska songs, you'll find that the guitarist often sounds out the first downstroke in a measure, then the upstroke, then MUTES the next downstroke to resume normal ska strumming.

It's kinda hard to explain, but if you practice enough, you'll start to pick it up (lol).

I know what you're saying. I didn't want to put it in those words good job though.
JesusOfSbrbia
*-)
1,343 IQ
I figured that's what you meant by "it's not easy if you're good at it." I just hope I didn't confuse anyone.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
seizureman
447 IQ
lol i actually started playing soundsystem again, and i think i finally got it