I really suck at guitar, but I want to learn how to do harmonic pinches. Like the one from My Curse by Killswitch Engage. So it would be really great if you guys could help me out. Thanks in advance!
first off make sure you practice it a lot. you'll get comfortable with it in no time.

it's not that hard once you get the hang of it.
you can do it on almost any fret.

i'm pretty sure the on one My Curse is on the 3rd fret of the top E string (C for drop)
just place youre finger over that fret lightly on the string. and hit the string. you'll hear the harmonic come out. all you have to do is hit and bend. like i said practice

LOL also i saw that vertigo pinchy lol try that one when you get it down. it's fun,
you tube the video. that guitarist did it on a bet ya cant play this. lol. enjoy.
Quote by Jonzy22
first off make sure you practice it a lot. you'll get comfortable with it in no time.

i'm pretty sure the on one My Curse is on the 3rd fret of the top E string (C for drop)
just place youre finger over that fret lightly on the string. and hit the string. you'll hear the harmonic come out. all you have to do is hit and bend. like i said practice

Arent u describing Natural Harmonics?
Last edited by Gryphon999 at Aug 22, 2008,
Quote by Jonzy22

LOL also i saw that vertigo pinchy lol try that one when you get it down. it's fun,
you tube the video. that guitarist did it on a bet ya cant play this. lol. enjoy.

wow thank you man. ill try it out later!
Quote by Gelato
I think what Jonzy22 described was a Natural harmonic.
If I'm correct, I think your asking about Artificial harmonics, one of which is referred to as a Pinch Harmonic.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/pinch_harmonics.html
It's one of those things that you just have to mess about with until one day you just get it.
Good luck,

yeah, thats a natural harmonic, not a pinch harmonic.

What you have to kinda do is turn your wrist so that when you pick, you dig into the string a little more than usual, and at a different angle, so that after the string leaves the pick, a tiny bit of the thumb grazes the string. It's not very easy to explain over the internet, so you might have to experiment a bit. Try doing it at different spots along the string for different sounds.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
yea I have a hell of a time with these too. But then again I play mostly clean and I can usually hit em with a bunch of distortion. Is it possible to get that sound from a clean setting?
Standard Fender Telecaster
Fender Blues Jr
Ibz10
I think there is but i forgot what a artificial harmonic is.

I think their the same thing
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
uh yea there is. To my knowledge, artificial is where you fret and change the natural harmonic spots on the string (I think if you fret the 2nd fret, there will be a "natural" harmonic at the 13th on same string instead of 12). Pinch is what has been described. It might be the same tone but definitly a different sound
Standard Fender Telecaster
Fender Blues Jr
Ibz10
Since you supposedly suck practice, but on topic, the way to do a pinch harmonic is to strike the string with your finger and your thumb at the same time (think that the thumb hits right after the pick hits). The positioning for this is kind of hard but once you get it down, you'll be doing KSE/Dimebag/what ever style squeals in no time.

If you really want to get those screaming harmonic squeals, I'd recommend putting the gain level on your amp up (it really helps) and if you really want those pinch harmonics get some high gain/ metal pickups, Dimebuckers and Blackouts are amazing.

As for the positioning, try to put the end of your thumb right by the tip of the pick.