What is it? I hear about them on gretschs and thing...what ARE they!?
Mal: "Doctor, I'm taking your sister under my protection here. If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up. Honestly, there could be tears." FIREFLY RULES!!!
I think it's a fret put there to make open strings sound like fretted ones.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
??? so the sound is different and thats it?
Mal: "Doctor, I'm taking your sister under my protection here. If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up. Honestly, there could be tears." FIREFLY RULES!!!
Quote by gooooog
whats the point in that?

Classical guitarists like it, because all the notes will be about the same volume and hoohah like that.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
i dont think they actually do anything...cos on all the descriptons of custom guitars their like...the prototype had one but the artist didnt like it and asked for it to be taken out...hell brian setzer chisellled one out of his first guitar!
Gretschs are not bad!!!
I've been messing around with my capo recently and like the sound it gives for open chords when you have it on the first fret....but then again, it it a halfstep up so I guess all the guitar resonance are different too

my banjo has a zero fret
right - a zero fret is an extra fret that goes just after the nut but before the first fret. it acts as a nut because the strings rest on top of it. this means you can have a lower action because the zero fret guides the strings over the first few frets because its a bit higher than the nut.

dont get one tho - what happens is, the strings balance on it, and start digging grooves into it - this means when you bend the strings will make clicking noises as they move over the grooves - its well annoying.
Thankyou Cobenblack! So its good for the first 2 secs then it gets in the way and start affecting sound...cheers!

In the words of Patrice Vigier:

"A zero fret has always been fitted on all of our instruments. This slightly higher fret’s role is to even open or fretted string notes, ensure perfect string height, minimize string friction and help avoid detuning, especially when using the tremolo. Now, thanks to new technology, we’ve been able to harden it so it lasts longer and make it removable so it’s easier to replace if needed."

Quote by Imafrog
Thankyou Cobenblack! So its good for the first 2 secs then it gets in the way and start affecting sound...cheers!

Well, that depends on the quality of the zero fret. Some are properly hardened and will therefore last longer than others.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Aug 22, 2008,
ohh i see.....
buy a graphite self lubing nut?
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Quote by Lil Macker
I think it's a fret put there to make open strings sound like fretted ones.

Fifth fret (or fourth) a string up?
Quote by Shred Head
Fifth fret (or fourth) a string up?

that would be less convinient, and makes easy things harder, and hard things impossible. nobody needs a tremolo because if you push down on the body and up on the neck, its basically the same thing right? not quite